2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Ladies FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Junior Ladies FS

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Haley Beavers - Fall on her 3F. UR and stepout on her 3Lz. Fall on her 2A, missing her 2A-2T combo. Very UR on her 3Lz combo, only could tack on a single toe. Nice arm variation. Fought for her 3T-2T. Nasty fall on her 2A. Couldn't do her planned combination spin because she lost time trying to make up for lost combos.

She has a lovely performance quality. Shame about the jumps. She looks so disappointed. :( She should keep her head up - the transition from Novice to Junior is tough and she's been fighting an injury this season.

64.43 FS - 108.72 total - into 5th

felt bad for her, she was in tears at KnC

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Great combos from Starr. Nice to see her get the 3Z today. It's obvious she's still working on the 3F and 3Z. Here's hoping she'll keep improving them over the course of the season!

I think she needs to build her stamina. She does well in the first half.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
And she's only 12! I can't wait until next season!

Is she really only 12? I thought she turned 13?

I just love this girl...she's only going to get better with time if she gets passed puberty and maintains top physical form. Areas she can work on are: choreography (rohene ward?:)), speed/power (off ice endurance/strength training I think would vastly improve her skating).

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Kaitlyn Nguyen - Very ambitious with that first combo (3Lz-1Lo-3S). Lands it. Instead of a 3F lands a 3Lo-2T with arms up on the double toe. Not completely clean 2A-3T, but holds it together. She is not letting these landings slip through her fingers. Nice 3F. UR 3Lz. Nice 3Lo (a bit of snow on the landing) and 2A.

She really held it together! Probably the toughest overall TES in the competition and she did it well. It's always encouraging to see young skaters that can calculate risk during the program and adjust if necessary (moving her combo to an easier jump).

112.36 FS - 170.16 total - into 1st

I couldn't watch it live streaming, but :clap:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I'm so proud of Kaitlyn for putting out two great skates! I can totally see her topping 180 internationally next year! Too bad about Starr's mistakes. But she shows a lot of promise. She normally fixes her problem jumps over the off season, so I look forward to see her next season! Big jumps from Ashley! Just needs more polish. So much artistic quality from Emma. I hope she can fix those jumps because she is so wonderful to watch!

Great job ladies!

great job indeed frida80! I think Starr, Lin, Nguyen will be great competition for one another in the years to come! And we haven't even seen Ashley Kim yet:)

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Starr was looking disappointed in the medal ceremony. I think she's taking this loss a little hard. If I'm doing the math right, if she had landed her Flip and Loop and avoided an edge call she could've won. I hope she digs deep, trains hard, and comes back strong for next season. With a second place finish she's earned a good slot on the JGP.

I'm glad she's taking the loss hard, laughs. It will only make her stronger. The top three are good competition for each other, which is good for US ladies skating, considering how the senior women are doing, laughs.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Gracie won Jr nationala she was better than all the senior skaters technically. I think it will be Tessa and maybe Amber if they send Karen to worlds. Or they can try to send Karen to both. Not advisable but possible.

True. Gracie technically was already ahead of the US Senior ladies at the time and could even challenge the top Senior ladies internationally considering not many were doing 3-3 combo's back in 2012 so sending her to Jr Worlds a no brainer. Jumpwise she was no Junior.

frida80

Record Breaker
great job indeed frida80! I think Starr, Lin, Nguyen will be great competition for one another in the years to come! And we haven't even seen Ashley Kim yet:)

I'm glad she's taking the loss hard, laughs. It will only make her stronger. The top three are good competition for each other, which is good for US ladies skating, considering how the senior women are doing, laughs.

You're right, these girls are great competition for each other. What amazes me is that these are all first year juniors and they're all scoring after that 150 and capable of clean triple triple jumps in their first year. Normally US girls have to take two seasons to get to their level. The next year talented girls like these improve a lot and start scoring high. I'm hoping all three can challenge for the podium next season.

Ironically, all of these girls have been the top Juniors this season. Ashley is the highest scorer on the JGP. Starr is the highest scorer internationally. And of course Kaitlyn won here, but also had the highest score in club competition.

I agree that Starr taking this hard is going to push her more. I remember how Michelle Kwan lost world's in 1994. Then she came back a completely different skater. Same thing with so many other skaters. They lose, they learn, then they come back strong. I hope they all come back really strong, because we need some really high scores to challenge the Russians.

matcha

Medalist
Topaz, the multiquote option exists for a reason, can you please use it rather than make a string of posts one after the other. :slink:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Topaz, the multiquote option exists for a reason, can you please use it rather than make a string of posts one after the other. :slink:

yeah sure, I don't like to post one at a time either.....I think I tried to use it before but wasn't successful...I will try it here as a test.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Another season behind us and congratulations to the Junior ladies. I was hoping for a much more competitive event but Kaitlyn put up an impressive score making it that much more challenging for the other skaters though Starr and Ashley held their own. After that, the field fell off though Emmy had an outer-body experience sitting in 1st after the Short. I was as happy for Kaitlyn as I was sad for Starr. IMO, Starr is a much better all around skater but Kaitlyn has "advanced" more rapidly with her jumps than any other US Jr so she is deserving of the Jr Title. I NEVER like to compare skater to skater from different events, but seeing Kaitlyn do what she did and ONLY put up a score of 170 is very discouraging. I also truly worry about her little jumps and quick rotation. But heck, congrats to Kaitlyn.

Starr, what a performance despite the mistakes. She is someone I always enjoy watching and she has some room to grow so I look for some good things to come from her in the future. Great job Starr! Ashley, skated like she always does, nothing too eye catching but doesn't make alot of mistakes. She can still grow with some of the bigger jumps but her technique needs to be corrected and skating improved otherwise she will always be one of the better skaters but never one of the best unless all of the best make mistakes thus opening the door for Ashley.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
If anyone wants to lament the state of these first year juniors this year, take a look at the protocols of Polina when she won in 2013.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68390/SEGM010.html

And the next year she was dominating the JGP.

Just an add-on to this thought which is why I truly believe anything below Sr. level is a crap-shoot and pure speculation as to who might be the next big league skater.....Polina never earned a medal at Nationals until her third year Jr level, she earned Gold. She was also much younger when she earned all of this Nationals experience and she never stayed back a year until her Jr season. Her camp played it all very well leading up to the Olympics, they had a game-plan and Polina executed because she trusted her camp and never stepped outside of what was told to her. She bought in 100% and it payed-off for her. Can't really compare but I understand what you are trying to show, it's just not valid.

frida80

Record Breaker
Just an add-on to this thought which is why I truly believe anything below Sr. level is a crap-shoot and pure speculation as to who might be the next big league skater.....Polina never earned a medal at Nationals until her third year Jr level, she earned Gold. She was also much younger when she earned all of this Nationals experience and she never stayed back a year until her Jr season. Her camp played it all very well leading up to the Olympics, they had a game-plan and Polina executed because she trusted her camp and never stepped outside of what was told to her. She bought in 100% and it payed-off for her. Can't really compare but I understand what you are trying to show, it's just not valid.

Actually I was just showing the scores she had at time, and how much they increased the next season. I think it is very wise for skaters to stay in levels until they master the content. Little bothers me more than seeing many juniors from last year move up to senior while not having fully mastered junior level content. I think many of these ladies have lots of potential, they just need the time and training to get there.