2017 Worlds Men's SP | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Men's SP

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
No actually, there are enough people who don't satisfy with this SP. But I like it. More than 2014s less than 2015s though. "Chopin" routine was and is A masterpiece in history of FS, no doubt.

++++1
Still can't understand his obsession with that combo. He was able to got enormous score s without it but still keep trying (even at Worlds) instead of putting jumps that he good with. It' seems like he just can't and don't wanna deal with this fact. But Brian?

Yuzuru is too stubborn & ambitious for his own good. It lets him down from time to time, but without his fearless character he likely wouldn't reach this level either.

This is guy who decided to skate while with stitches on his head and mauled in his Grand Prix event two seasons ago after all, sometimes it borders with insanity.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Are you saying Hanyu should be getting higher GOE on his StSq than Fernandez LOL. He'll struggle to reach level 3 if he did that Malagueña program.

That is totally wrong. Hanyu's footwork has always been better and he certainly would not struggle with Fernandez's sequence. So what if he got some level 3 calls for his footwork in the long program last season? It's not like Fernandez hasn't received only level 3 many times as well.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think Brown was only very slightly overscored... maybe about 44 PCS. He was certainly better than Kolyada and even with Chen doing an extra rotation on the flip and lutz Brown's performance was superior IMO... and that SP deserved over 91. If Takahashi/Lysacek in 2010 can get 90 points, Brown should be 91/92 at least. Either way, he's in 8th.

That was seven years ago, and of course the 90 of 2010 is not the 90 of 2017. But keep in mind that the 90s scores were at the Olympics. Scores were definitely higher.

I am not a fan of JB. But I don't understand the outrage. He's not anywhere near the medals and won't ever win with this content. So it doesn't make sense to have that kind of outcry.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Please, I still don't get where Yuzuru's 1 point deduction is coming from. I read that he was too late to get in position but doesn't he have one whole minute after his name is called? At least in my broadcast he only took about 25-30 seconds. What is this witchery?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Please, I still don't get where Yuzuru's 1 point deduction is coming from. I read that he was too late to get in position but doesn't he have one whole minute after his name is called? At least in my broadcast he only took about 25-30 seconds. What is this witchery?

They did drop it to 30 seconds. IIRC

jaylee

Medalist
I attended 2013 worlds, and if memory serves me, a countdown would start on the Jumbotron tv above the arena once the skater's name was called . The crowd would start clapping as it wound down to hurry along tardy skaters.

Hanyu has historically taken his sweet time to assume his starting position. Did he not know about the rule change, or did he forget?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Seriously, it is mind-boggling. He skated a pristine clean short, and he's exactly where I thought he would be: 6th-10th. It's like they see no quad, so they must think triples are worth one point or something.

He's behind who he should be behind. He and Kolyada are basically tied. People saying Kolyada should be further ahead obviously are idiots who don't understand Jason's strengths, or Jason haters who think he should be down with Brezina or Ge or something.

Exactly but ...
Maybe people who saw Kolyada further ahead are not idiots, just normal people expressing their opinions? It's normal that we don't share the same exact view, otherwise it would not be Figure Skating. I for once don't have a problem with Jason Brown score, I rather admire him for commendable feat and smartly constructed but balanced programs considering lack of quad here. All skaters are free to employ their own tactics and ways of earning points. Jason had better spins, footwork, choreography and polished skating. All that weighted in his favour. I am a big fan of Kolyada, not so much for Jason but I can see his strenghts.

Last edited:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
That is totally wrong. Hanyu's footwork has always been better and he certainly would not struggle with Fernandez's sequence. So what if he got some level 3 calls for his footwork in the long program last season? It's not like Fernandez hasn't received only level 3 many times as well.

That was fast. Since when did you become such an ardent Hanyu supporter? I was just making a passing comment on some poster's laughable attempt at scandal and vaunting of Hanyu's supposed StSq prowess. I maybe bias but I can't seem to remember ever been impressed by any of Hanyu's step sequences. Something along the line of Ten's glorious 2015 4CC StSq or Chan at TEB in 2013.

Brown was overscored. It is not necessary to look only at Kvitelashvili.... today it is no longer imaginable that a skater who does only double jumps could be a serious competitor to skaters with triples?

I think your quarrel is with the ISU scale of values, then. Yes, it would certainly be possible for the ISU to raise the base values of quads compared to triples.

But as it is, Brown with no quad had a base value of 38.30 and Kvitelashvili had 38.43 with a quad. That is just the base value of the planned technical elements, never mind GOE and PCS.

Brown is not competitive with those skaters whose multiple quads gave them 50 points or so of base value. This is just as it should be, IMHO. I do not have any big problem with the placements and the relative point differences among the leaders. I do not really see much to be angry about in the scoring so far.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I attended 2013 worlds, and if memory serves me, a countdown would start on the Jumbotron tv above the arena once the skater's name was called . The crowd would start clapping as it wound down to hurry along tardy skaters.

Hanyu has historically taken his sweet time to assume his starting position. Did he not know about the rule change, or did he forget?

A few skaters were hit with the late start deduction when the time was first shortened a few years ago but everybody learned fast and I can't recall such penalty being levied since then.

Warwick360

Medalist
I come home to see the non-live recording of Men SP by B.ESP and I find only Chan and Fernandez with much of the section covering snooker and Pairs????!!!!!

:curse::hpull::bang:

euroskate

Final Flight
in case anyone has working of uno, brown, jin please post it here in in video thread. i just hate that you have no chance to see some programs if you have no time to watch live or have no TV coverage. :dev2:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
People who complain about American skaters can't make up their minds :laugh:.

1. Nathan doesn't deserve such high PCS! It doesn't matter how many quads you do, PCS is different from TES and quads shouldn't determine PCS!

2. Jason doesn't deserve such high PCS! How can he get such high PCS without a quad!

3a. How does Jason get such high GOE on his jumps when they aren't as big as other skaters' jumps?? That's not fair!
3b. *someone else complains about Evgenia Medvedeva's jump GOE* She has very intricate entrances and exits that determine her high GOE on jumps! Look at the criteria! *ignores Jason's entrances and exits from jumps*

Haters be hating just to hate. Have some consistency.

I just wanted to say I totally agree with you. Sometimes I feel a bit bullied or like the minority. And I admit sometimes I feel like it is only right to stand up for the underdogs or the "hated" because really I sense it isn't always logical the hate on this forum or rather it is not criticism but hate.

To be clear I think Nathan is a brilliant skater and more specifically jumper but the PCS are ridiculous. And if he improves the odds are he objectively is not or will not be better than Chan or should not be seen as in the same league - but where are the judges going to go. Chan is already near perfect (even underscored here) and Chen's scores aren't that far away with tonnes of improvement. And yes Nathan has difficult jumps but he does not have the flow, carriage and such so his pcs are affected there too or should be and not simply positive because he landed a quad and it is a hard jump

As for Jason Well I do think he is a lovely skater pc wise but his jumps are good but not that powerful.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan has the benefit of the US fed. China fed is probably better than, like, Slovenia fed, but still not as good as the big 4 (Russia/Canada/US/Japan).

That said, I think the PCS for both men made sense today (and usually make sense - I'm not a big whiner about Nathan's scores). If Nathan had skated cleanly there would've been a (deservedly) bigger difference. He has better skating skills and transitions, and it wouldn't surprise me if figure skating judges have subjective preference for Nathan's Choreography/Interpretation over Boyang's, considering the themes of the two programs. Skating judges probably don't appreciate SpiderBoyang the way fans do.

True story -- when Spidey Boyang was doing his shoulder shimmies, the person next to me pointed out that one of the judges had the HUGEST grin on her face. Can't remember which one it was. I would agree though - the crowd LOVES Spiderman (and what's not to love about Jin?!), but the judges? :scratch3:

begin

Medalist
Javi did 2 quads, while Patrick had only one. That's a big difference. Now it happens that Malaguena is a very well choreographed program, full of steps and transitions.
That may not explain all the points, but I am not one of the judges to know the reasons behind the marks.

My order would be : 1. Javi, 2. Boyang 3. Shoma 4. Patrick (all within 2-3 points difference)

We're in agreement. I was specifically commenting on their components alone. Placement of the top 5 are fine but I don't agree with the difference.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think your quarrel is with the ISU scale of values, then. Yes, it would certainly be possible for the ISU to raise the base values of quads compared to triples.

But as it is, Brown with no quad had a base value of 38.30 and Kvitelashvili had 38.43 with a quad. That is just the base value of the planned technical elements, never mind GOE and PCS.

Brown is not competitive with those skaters whose multiple quads gave them 50 points or so of base value. This is just as it should be, IMHO. I do not have any big problem with the placements and the relative point differences among the leaders. I do not really see much to be angry about in the scoring so far.

If you removed the "wuz robbed, judging sucks, COP sucks" posts from here, this would be a much shorter site to read in full! And so rarely do we give the judges a thumbs up for good judging.

So, a thumbs up for good judging at this particular event. The placements are fair.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
True story -- when Spidey Boyang was doing his shoulder shimmies, the person next to me pointed out that one of the judges had the HUGEST grin on her face. Can't remember which one it was. I would agree though - the crowd LOVES Spiderman (and what's not to love about Jin?!), but the judges? :scratch3:

One of the PCS criterions is projection & contact with the audience and Jin had it in spades.