2017 Worlds Pairs FS | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs FS

QuadThrow

Medalist
As some others mentioned here, the crowd was on Aljona's and Bruno's side. It was magical. Never ever watched a program like this. Aljona is the greatest of all time and Bruno is really becoming a perfect match.

They did a couple of small mistakes in both programs and all in all it was not good enough to catch Sui/Han who were absolutly clean except of one big fall.

In the end it was really close and the PCS gap between the first two should have been a bit higher.

Some thoughts:

Judges really rewarded the twofooted 3ATh. I think it is totally understandable. This element made the crowd crazy.

After T/M's bad lift it was clear that there is only bronze for them today. The judges did not gave them the PCS like at Euros. Rightly so. They need better program

S/M's pair spin was the best I ever watched.

lavender

Record Breaker
Yeah I may not be fans of all but props to theses skaters with the 'year of' injuries/surgeries.. It's crazy difficult out there.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Ok, guys, I'm happy like all of you that Sui/Han won, but this? S/M were just magical, in terms of performace tonight they were a few points ahead of S/H. And believe me, I've never been muxh of S/M fan. When I was leaving the arena I overheard 2 conversations expressing their disbelief that S/M lost. Quite possibly they were people who didn't see Sui/Han yesterday, but it says a lot about the impact S/M made, they really wowed the crowd, two-footed landing nonwithstanding. Heck, I personally saw that two-footed landing but it didn't impact the performance whatsoever. By comparison, Sui/Han seemed a bit subdued, especially after the fall. I really don't think that PCS difference came from judges's bias. I'm actually surprised there isn't more tens in the performance scores for S/M.
I couldn't decide who of them was better tonight... (and i must say that judges agreed with me, i mean, half of point difference is more statisical variation than judges desicion). But S/H won fair based on that little difference in short program. Another thing is that S/H maybe have more fans here on this forum who were just happy cause they won. I personaly enjoyed the most S/K and J/C programs based on their originality and artistic values i have...

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem with Tarasova/Morosov is that I don't think either of them has a musical bone in their body. They had to have been tone deaf anyway to have agreed to skate to that abominable piece of "muzak" that is their freeskate......

Ilvskating

Final Flight
The scene when Han is lifted for the photo shooting was so hilarious...I could not believe the height difference is so big between the men on the podium. I know from real life how big/tall are skaters (men) doing pairs. They are like Gulivers among most single skaters

Yes! That was so hilarious. Sui tried to bend her knees but apparently she is short enough already to the photographers:) she must have grown A bit taller. There was a photo Han was carried taller for a photo somewhere else. Han said himself that he would often on his toes when taking podium photos:p

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes! That was so hilarious. Sui tried to bend her knees but apparently she is short enough already to the photographers:) she must have grown A bit taller. There was a photo Han was carried taller for a photo somewhere else. Han said himself that he would often on his toes when taking podium photos:p

Cong could not find a good position behind Wenjing to show his entire face so he lifted himself a couple of times on his toes. The other two men noticed that and they together lifted him way higher, to about their heights. :laugh2:

He may be small but he is the Boss, except to the Empress.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
OK, I'm not Mr Rule Book, so I'm confused. Can the US get another pairs slot at Nebelhorn next year?

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm sorry but what in the world is T/M skating to. I feel like I'm listening to a soundtrack from years ago. They have the hard elements of today with outfits/music the 80s....this is just me. This is the first time I've watched the whole program this year. Very good, nice looking skaters. She looks like a pretty ballerina.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
As some others mentioned here, the crowd was on Aljona's and Bruno's side. It was magical. Never ever watched a program like this. Aljona is the greatest of all time and Bruno is really becoming a perfect match.

They did a couple of small mistakes in both programs and all in all it was not good enough to catch Sui/Han who were absolutly clean except of one big fall.

In the end it was really close and the PCS gap between the first two should have been a bit higher.

Some thoughts:

Judges really rewarded the twofooted 3ATh. I think it is totally understandable. This element made the crowd crazy.

After T/M's bad lift it was clear that there is only bronze for them today. The judges did not gave them the PCS like at Euros. Rightly so. They need better program

S/M's pair spin was the best I ever watched.

European audience favoring a European team?

Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beyond shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verging here on TOTAL DISBELIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:drama:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry but what in the world is T/M skating to. I feel like I'm listening to a soundtrack from years ago. They have the hard elements of today with outfits/music the 80s....this is just me. This is the first time I've watched the whole program this year. Very good, nice looking skaters. She looks like a pretty ballerina.

Song is "Music" by John Miles. Apparently it was famously used by Romanian gymnast Aurelia Dobre and by Latvian pair team of Elena Bereznaya and Oleg Schliakov I remember it from Skate America in Detroit where I watched it live.

whatif

Medalist
Do you understand that S/K had to miss half of the season because of injury? And they had injuries to deal with last season too?

And what is a "major title"? Euros and GPF aren't major? Who says T/M won't improve any more? They are a lot younger than S/H and especially S/M.

Also, S/K still holding the highest FS score among the current crop, and now third highest total score among the current crop and that's with the fact that they are usually not the best SP skaters.

I would say tonight they actually impressed me more than anyones else NOT named S/H. Still so much room to do much better.

whatif

Medalist
Soooo happy for S/H. I loved Aliona with S/S. I do feel like things are being set up for the Olympics for S/M. I think they will be set up as THE favs especially if they do well during the season. Just that feeling I get.

This sounds like I heard this before at least twice in my lifetime. I am sure Aliona will be at that podium in Korea BUT Olympics is a completely different game. Way too many other factors besides the actual skating.

Bcash

Final Flight
Ok, guys, I'm happy like all of you that Sui/Han won, but this? S/M were just magical, in terms of performace tonight they were a few points ahead of S/H. And believe me, I've never been muxh of S/M fan. When I was leaving the arena I overheard 2 conversations expressing their disbelief that S/M lost. Quite possibly they were people who didn't see Sui/Han yesterday, but it says a lot about the impact S/M made, they really wowed the crowd, two-footed landing nonwithstanding. Heck, I personally saw that two-footed landing but it didn't impact the performance whatsoever. By comparison, Sui/Han seemed a bit subdued, especially after the fall. I really don't think that PCS difference came from judges's bias. I'm actually surprised there isn't more tens in the performance scores for S/M.

I got the sense that the crowd was behind SM more because they are a European pair who did well recently at Europeans and especially Savchenko simply is more well known than S/H. This doesn't feel like a particularly knowledgeable skating audience. (The height of a triple twist earned gasps, understandably, but little acknowledgement of the two quad twists.)

I agree that SM's program is the most enchanting of them all, and Savchenko's qualities only added to it (Massot was also really good). But the two footed, low landings did feel jarring to me (maybe not to some of the audience whose view angles might have prevented them from seeing the touch-down). As a viewer I was like, you get so much height and distance on those throws so why are you always two footing them? What a waste on that height! And after all it's just not a clean element. So I think the GOEs on those elements definitely should be negatively affected.

Last edited:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh yeah, no doubt. I even asked in the pre-event thread how likely was it for D/F to make top 8 because before Worlds D/F thought that was what they could do. I think the response I got was 'it's possible'. I don't think anyone, not even D/F themselves, thought this would happen. But they underperformed and were rightfully behind teams who skated better.

I think many are forgetting Tarah Kayne & Danny O'Shea of USA who had to withdraw due to injury at US Nationals. They were one of Gordeeva's favorites.

slider11

Medalist
My thoughts on the pairs thrilling final:

Sui/Han: Congratulations! I felt that performance from the beginning to end. It was technically fabulous, minus her stumble after the SBS, and artistically genuine and compelling. They did "Bridge Over Trouble Water" proud!
Savachenko/Massot: Also, wonderful in its technical and artistic performance. Personally it was a very strong second to Sui/Han. I know that stings to the S/M fans but I just felt S/H just grabbed the golden moment.
Tarasova/Morozov: Loved their SP but I agree with those who thought the music in their LP was a bit stale. Plus there wasn't their usual spirit in either performances. Her injury the day of the SP may have contributed to them being off. I think they should be happy with bronze and be looking for some special music that can highlight their connection.
Yu/Zhang: Technically, they're getting the "tricks" but I certainly don't feel the same connection that Sui and Han convey. Does Hao have another season in him?
Stolbova/Klimov: This music was just too "out there" for me. They are super-talented and Ksenia certainly has the grit determination to make things happen. I just don't particularly enjoy watching them.
Luba/Dylan: Ok, yea, the FS music is kinda cheesy BUT I just love watching Luba perform whether it's the jealous tango lady or the over-her-heels lover. Dylan does a great job of presenting her and is a rock with those super difficult lifts. Kristen M-T should be kicking herself for kicking this "old guy" to the curb. But I love the quick ascent of Luba and Dylan and they have the makings of National champions next year.
Duhamel/Radford: Good effort. Not crazy about the music with either program. And never a real fan of their style.
James/Cipres: Love their collaboration on the ice. John Zimmerman has made their raw power a piece of art. Not their competition but the potential remains.
Marchei/Hotarek: Well aren't they fun in a party bag! Good short and long with about the best results they can ask for.
Knierims: Emotional triumph to be just skating. Good for them! I was doubtful that they could make the top 10. I'm still confused about what this means to the US spots in next year's Olympics but I'm sure eventually it will come out.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, a complete reset here.

Is it two spots for USA Pairs? Or is it just one?

Conflicting info all over the place, so please don't speculate.

Personally, I'm fine with one. But I want to know.