2017 Worlds Pairs SP | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs SP

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone else want to cry during SK/K's SP when right after the first lift Chris strokes Alexa's face just as the lyrics go "I love you"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZqSwuRka7w

1:10 in this video.

Thank you for flagging that. I just get misty watching this whole skate.

Fractures, stitches, broken bones: yeah, we know pair girls are tough. But three surgeries to correct a life threatening condition? Alexa is beyond tough.

And I better not hear from anyone ever again in my whole life that Chris is a stiff, not after this. The old lady cane is at the ready:dev2:

rain

Record Breaker
Just came to say how much I enjoyed Sui/Han. The class of the field, by a long way today, IMO. Savchenko and Massot shouldn't have been anywhere close. That short program is another I will watch over and over again. I'm rooting for them for the win all the way.

I was thrilled to see I/M skate so well. I think that's the best I've seen that program all year. So sad for D/R that they're injured at such an inopportune moment. It would be really, really awful for Canada not to get three spots. There are definitely three teams that deserve to go to the Olympics.

Nika09

On the Ice
Feel so sorry about James/Cipres. Didn't like the choice of music, but program was beautiful though.
What a terrific performance from Sui/Han!! And just love her confident and cool face during the program! :) Another 79 point pairs? Neh not even close. But where the judges was when they must watched and noticed multiple mistakes? What's a shame. Wanna see S/H as champs so badly!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thank you for flagging that. I just get misty watching this whole skate.

Fractures, stitches, broken bones: yeah, we know pair girls are tough. But three surgeries to correct a life threatening condition? Alexa is beyond tough.

And I better not hear from anyone ever again in my whole life that Chris is a stiff, not after this. The old lady cane is at the ready:dev2:

That was the most beautiful costume I think I have ever seen on Alexa.

Sigh. it's been a crap year for me to be able to watch skating live. I'm sorry I missed it.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh and yes, Sui and Han were underscored. That's a masterpiece of a SP.

Oh dear, it looks like the US will only have one pair at the Olympics. Our whole Pairs program is a mess. A total mess.

ldnhlj

Spectator
Scoring for the last group was way off... I would have had S/M at most 77 given the landings on the sbs3S and the 3A...

And don't even get me started on T/M, with the double footed 3Lo and the out of sync spin, 76 max and should really be below Y/Z, they got major sympathy points, let's see if they get positive GOEs on a fall in the FS just because Tarasova had stitches...

Sui Han got dinged on the lift!?! They should have at least a 4-5 point lead given the performances last night, anyone with me?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh,that may be the first time I've ever seen Bruno Massot show anything resembling a personality on the ice. He's finally learning to perform. Bravo!

Massive triple twist.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Scoring for the last group was way off... I would have had S/M at most 77 given the landings on the sbs3S and the 3A...

And don't even get me started on T/M, with the double footed 3Lo and the out of sync spin, 76 max and should really be below Y/Z, they got major sympathy points, let's see if they get positive GOEs on a fall in the FS just because Tarasova had stitches...

Sui Han got dinged on the lift!?! They should have at least a 4-5 point lead given the performances last night, anyone with me?

You're not the only one if you look into past posts. Except Sui/Han and Yu/Zhang in the earlier group, the overall judging was very generous and some mistakes were also overlooked in general while the quality of event was great overall.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Tarasova and Morozov continue to be a total charisma vacuum for me and they were massively over-scored. Ridiculous. They don't have the sass to pull that kind of program off. And I want to like them--they have all the ingredients to be a top notch team. But they are always saddled with the worst programs. If it isn't halfhearted tributes to elevator muzak, it's something they don't have the personality to carry off. No style these two. And that may be the biggest problem of all.

Not my cuppa.

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
Thoughts after Pairs SP
Sui/Han: magnificent program. Amazing choreography. brilliant interpretation, Cong is so hot on the ice with this music. Absolutely underscored in comparison with S/M and T/M.
Savchenko/Massot: great interpretation and fun program, but really overscored this time.
Tarasova/Morozov: I don't like their interpretation so much at all, and seeing the positive GOEs on the throw 3 Loop make me angry :mad: the other technical elements were great though.
Yu/Zhang: great sophistication and goergeous technical elements. Underscored in comparison with T/M.
Duhamel/Radford: good effort knowing his injury. Changing the 3 Lz with the 3 T was a good choice, Eric was having problem with the Lz also in practice.
James/Cipres: great recovery after that unlucky Twist! One of my favourite teams this year :love:
Della Monica/Guarise: hottest looking guy with the worst dress (I liked her dress, though) :hopelessness:
Stolbova/Klimov: painfully sad to watch them struggle so much :sad21: Hopefully they can regroup for the FS. Interestingly, I have never seen Ksenia so happy after a program :palmf:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Because their style is different to "traditional", and therefore that makes them "wrong" and "different". And skaters who skate "different" are to be feared and hated.

Bupkis, of course.

Actually I don't mind their "style" unless you mean being bothered by insufficient unison and lack of refinement / clunkiness in skating sometimes. Their dismounts from lifts and throws don't look light to me, Meagan does not keep her body stable so she quite often looks like ungainly.

But they actually bring something new to the table and add some different colour to this discipline bringing different story and relation to their performances. I enjoyed their skating last year in Boston, I like their speed too when they are on. I don't hate their skating even though there are couple of things that are not ideal. They'd get much less cricism if they were mid tier team as success sparks controversions.

Last edited:

d6886

On the Ice
Only 16 qualified. Too little imo, esp. with 28 pairs and higher level. There were solid teams who missed it like Austrians Ziegler / Kiefer.

It's to strict IMO, Austrian pair was really good and I like them, so sad they finished for this WC :(

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just caught up with Pairs briefly from Eurosport before Mens. Not had much time to follow pairs these days and just want to add Sui/Han was simply incredible. A program for the ages.

Who knew Chinese can be cool!? They were edgey, compelling and nonchalant, give attitudes my gosh... rare thing indeed. Time has changed.

Recognise! Keep it up in the FS Sui/Han. I'd love you get the gold FINALLY!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
i don't mind if they don't medal this year... as long as they do next year ... ;)

I didn't picture them medalling this year, even if Eric were completely healthy. I'm just not a fan of their vehicles, but of course, it's hard to get 3 in a row... I'm pretty sure Fernandez and Papadakis/Cizeron (whose programs I'm not a huge fan of this season either) will also be pressed to three-peat.

I just hope Eric can recover and have a stellar Olympic season/moment with Meagan, with programs that show off their performance abilities and explosiveness, but aren't so wild that they can't show a bit more finesse. This SP just didn't work compared to some of their previous ones, and when you compare this Worlds SP to their amazing SP at Nationals and it's pretty evident the effect an injury can have on a team trying to do this energetic upbeat style of program.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's obvious that they were not fully recovered from their injuries.

They promised 3-3-2 combo in Free Skate so it looked like they're confident in their form. Unless that was just a psychological game.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's to strict IMO, Austrian pair was really good and I like them, so sad they finished for this WC :(

I like them and their skate was decent. I thought they'd qualify right after they finished but than I realized how many are to go still.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Caught up on pairs now. Usually really like D and R, but I do not like that short program this year. Impressed with them for battling on, but even at their best I don't liked the program. On the other hand love James and Cipres. So sad about their fall. Think Tarasova / Morozov were remarkable. Really enjoy Savchenko and MAssot's program. Haven't always loved Sui Han, but this was great and the program really suits them... have to join with everyone who hates the sky cam. Was really getting into their program and then suddenly we zoomed off to make them look like beetles sliding across the ice. At least they did take us back in to see the lift. This was hands down the best program