2018 Europeans Free Dance | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Free Dance

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People keep saying that W/P will continue at least 2 years, and same for H/D and C/B but now many people think that Maia and Alex will retire :rolleye:, Maia is 23 yo guys. I mean, if there are 30 yo skters competing I see no reason for Maia 23 yo and Alex 26 yo retire now.

I'm not sure where I picked it up, but I've also gotten the impression that this is it for the Shibs, and they'll be moving on.

I certainly agree that they're not too old to continue - but maybe they're just ready for new things.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm not sure where I picked it up, but I've also gotten the impression that this is it for the Shibs, and they'll be moving on.

I certainly agree that they're not too old to continue - but maybe they're just ready for new things.

They have said nothing about their plans. I honestly think people (not you) subconsciously want them to retire because they're a road block for their faves.

slider11

Medalist
People keep saying that W/P will continue at least 2 years, and same for H/D and C/B but now many people think that Maia and Alex will retire :rolleye:, Maia is 23 yo guys. I mean, if there are 30 yo skters competing I see no reason for Maia 23 yo and Alex 26 yo retire now.

If P/C and V/M retire I think it will give alot of skaters pause before they retire. But I think the Shibs have bigger ambitions in the world of technology with entrepreneurial pursuits and probably will retire. I think Chock and Bates will retire; they had their brief moment but I can't see it returning. H/D might stick around for a year or so but I think others will catch up and pass them. If H/D are close to perfect technically their performance suffers and no one can be perfect all the time. The bold, sexy thing will get old. Anna and Luca and will retire. Some say that should have happened after they won Worlds but I do love their programs this year. Bobrova and Soliev will move on but I think will hold out for the Worlds hoping for good things.

Barb

Record Breaker
If P/C and V/M retire I think it will give alot of skaters pause before they retire. But I think the Shibs have bigger ambitions in the world of technology with entrepreneurial pursuits and probably will retire. I think Chock and Bates will retire; they had their brief moment but I can't see it returning. H/D might stick around for a year or so but I think others will catch up and pass them. If H/D are close to perfect technically their performance suffers and no one can be perfect all the time. The bold, sexy thing will get old. Anna and Luca and will retire. Some say that should have happened after they won Worlds but I do love their programs this year. Bobrova and Soliev will move on but I think will hold out for the Worlds hoping for good things.

P/C, C/B and H/D already said that they will continue. Do you think they are lying?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They have said nothing about their plans. I honestly think people (not you) subconsciously want them to retire because they're a road block for their faves.

Maybe that's it. I certainly don't WANT them to retire. But I can understand if that's their decision.

Of the American teams, I've been rooting for H/D for a long time - but, you're right, I'm not the type to want their competition to retire so they can move up.

Until US Nats, the team I'd sort of gotten tired of was C/B, but after that long dance, I'm back on their train. I thought it was amazing.

Giselle

Medalist
Sometimes, but when things get shaken up, it seems to happen at really big competitions... almost as if judges at lesser competitions don't want to go off-script.

Examples: D/W won everything in sight with their charming Strauss program, and then were upended by V/M at World's one year. I never figured that one out - the protocols that year simply looked like the judges changed their minds.

A bit OT but I think V/M won that year because they had the momentum.

D/W were not undefeated until Worlds that season. They had lost to V/M at 4CC because in the FD, Charlie White was struggling (he has Asthma and the competition was in altitude in Colorado Spring).

V/M skated latin really well in the SD at Worlds and were rightfully leading.

slider11

Medalist
P/C, C/B and H/D already said that they will continue. Do you think they are lying?

No, I think, right now, they think they will stay. But it's like a woman who has a baby and swears either she will stay home or go back to work but then 3 months later does the opposite. Situations change and affect one's outlook.

slider11

Medalist
A bit OT but I think V/M won that year because they had the momentum.

D/W were not undefeated until Worlds that season. They had lost to V/M at 4CC because in the FD, Charlie White was struggling (he has Asthma and the competition was in altitude in Colorado Spring).

V/M skated latin really well in the SD at Worlds and were rightfully leading.

But, for whatever reason, the judges downplayed D/W's Strauss program at World's. V/M had the stronger SD but I thought D/W's FD was really terrific. D/W came back to win at the World Team event but the loss at Worlds made them hungrier than ever the next year. I would pay to see that Strauss program again...really fun and good!

Giselle

Medalist

When did H/D say they will continue? I thought they were waiting until the end of the season to make a decision because training in Canada is very expensive for them and they are struggling financially (they do not have the right to work in Canada and they do not come from well-off families).
Great news if they'll stay 4 more years!

Barb

Record Breaker
No, I think, right now, they think they will stay. But it's like a woman who has a baby and swears either she will stay home or go back to work but then 3 months later does the opposite. Situations change and affect one's outlook.

I think the only reason to C/B retire is if they get out of the top three in USA, but the new american teams had a hard senior debut, so who knows.

Barb

Record Breaker
When did H/D say they will continue? I thought they were waiting until the end of the season to make a decision because training in Canada is very expensive for them and they are struggling financially (they do not have the right to work in Canada and they do not come from well-off families).

I don´t remember where I read it :think:.

peepsquick

Final Flight
Everything is possible, but it is obvious that P/C only need stay on their feet to win, they do not even need to synchronize their twizzles.

Yeah, Chapis, you have made your point over and over again ... we do get it ... P/C are disgracefully bad and the judging in general is skewered. Moving on!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Staying in Canada's probably best for them, coach-wise, but if they have to go back to the States and train, that might not be a deal-breaker.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yeah, Chapis, you have made your point over and over again ... we do get it ... P/C are disgracefully bad and the judging in general is skewered. Moving on!

P/C fans have made their point too about they doing art and deserving practically perfect score and they don´t stop of commenting anyway, I won´t stop of commenting just to please you, you better should put me in ignore.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

If Anna and Luca don't retire now, they might end up being passed by G/F. I haven't seen their FD from this competition yet, though. I read that there were mistakes.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Just popping in to say that I only just managed to see Papadakis and Cizeron and I was in awe. This program didn't convince me right away, but now it's really grown on me and I can appreciate its beauty and artistry. Although I am a fan of Virtue/Moir, I would have nothing against P/C winning OGM with such a beautiful program.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I just read the news, B/S don't plan to retire. I think I need to cry, just let it all out. :sad21: