2018 Europeans Pairs FS | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Pairs FS

semisonic

Spectator
Caro after her SP got such a huge standing ovations from the crowd, I think Zhenya and Alina didn't receive so much love today.
After people saw Russian 1-2-3 they've started to wave the flags and cheer.
There's the hostility? Who suffered injustice from the Moscow crowd?
Really at the moment there's no reason needed to throw dirt at Russians, some people just enjoy doing it.

Reform

Rinkside
I think the problem is not a public and applause, but double standards and selective justice by judges. PCS and GOEs are becoming as corruption and sometimes political tools in the hands of decision-makers. Perhaps this is a overall problem in sport where arbitrate decisions exist.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Apparently some people think J/C needed a gold-medal worthy performance to even be on the podium. Also people are really trying it with their "J/C got a PCS PB" lol both J/C and Z/E were at Skate Canada this season and at the time they received:

J/C 34.49 70.63
Z/E 31.41 63.02

And here they received:

J/C 35.44 71.03
Z/E 33.34 68.73

So yes J/C got a tiny late season PCS bump while Z/E are gifted +5 PCS in the free because why not? This scoring is ridiculous and I can't believe people are even trying to defend it.

That is just a false propaganda, and at this point its better for you just to admit you hate (or don't like) medal winners here. While J/C got their best PCS score in SP ever, Z/E PCS SP score in Skate America this year was higher than what they got here. Both J/C and Z/E got their personal best PCS in FP here by a point (Z/E already got 66 PCS and 67+ PCS this season). T/M scored the lowest score in SP this season here, and their PCS score in FP was in range of scores they already got in GP this season (less than half a point better). S/K also got lower PCS scores than what they got in NHK Trophy this season. So, from all those skaters only J/C scored Season Best and their general PCS Personal Best both in SP and FP here, although they didnt skate even close to their best skate... I adore J/C (and i love all the skaters) and those false statements just hurting my brain :dev2:
ETA: But the funniest thing is how you think that judges can manipulate results to put J/C without a medal intentionally by 0,01 point behind Z/E and less than a point behind S/K. how is even possible for 9 individual judges to manipulate that amount of score difference :dumb:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was at Worlds in Boston for the Dance FS and I thought the crowd cheered more for the French than the Shibutanis. At least they did where I was sitting. Someone behind me commented after the Shibs skated, "well, they were good, too."

And how about the men's in Boston where the roof just about got blown off for Javi's free skate?! The audience was standing (and screaming) before he even finished. If I remember correctly, Javi's own words were something like "The audience supported me so much."

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
I think that James/Cipres didn't deserve the podium today, at least for me. Maybe the judges adjust the scores for make them fourth, maybe not, but J/C have the chance today for be second by a wide margin, proving all their qualities, and they trow it away. All other thoughts may be just pointless, at least for them.

GGFan

Record Breaker
If we just hosted everything in Japan we would have none of these crowd issues! :biggrin::dev2:

perryc

Spectator
I have been a lurker in these forums, but I couldn't contain my heartbreak after watching the Instagram stories of Vanessa James smiling through her tears, being resilient and positive despite the free skate results.

All I have to say is: I have been following figure skating long enough to know that the judging is sketchy. I am happy for the Russians who performed well.

But I have to add to the many voices that have already stated: James and Cipres deserved to be on that podium. The fact that their performances weren't perfect seems besides the point. None of the couples were perfect, and if we judge by their margin or imperfection, I think it's pretty evident that some were penalized for mistakes more than others.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, I am not going to waste any more time being upset or heartbroken. I'm going to do some yoga and rekindle positive energy.

Much love to all the teams, but especially James/Cipres. I imagine they must be heartbroken, but I am proud of them.

whatif

Medalist
Do we know what J/C's plans are after this season? If they don't retire, I am confident they are going to take the Euro title rather soon, judges are willing to give it to them. Content is there, PCS are very close to the current leaders and half of them will retire next season, They just need to pull it together.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have to agree the results imho were fair. Despite all the anti Russian sentiment or saying they are biased I can't say that there was a bias other than the local fans. Remember there are judges not from Russia. Everyone was off but the results were right.

Now, the real injustice is the generous scoring of Carolina Kostner. That is where there should be anger.

The French will probably bounce back and medal at the olympics. They have been on the edge of greatness for a while.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
LOL at the final result. Poor James and Cipres. They were robbed of a medal here. The judges really tried to hold up Trasova/Morozov who should've not gotten such a gifted PCS in the SP and GOEs in the free given that their not so great skates. The problem is that the mistakes by the other Russians were also largely ignored compared to J/C's. I hope the French put the anger into their skates and grab the bronze at Olympics as the event matters most.

Pairs is my favorite discipline, alas, I can't even get any consolation in the event after the ridiculous judging in the ladies' event. Just same old story.

Aliona is so clever enough to skip the event. She might've felt that they can not repeat the Sochi nightmare again in front of the same kind of the crowd on the Russian soil right before the Olympics.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
And how about the men's in Boston where the roof just about got blown off for Javi's free skate?! The audience was standing (and screaming) before he even finished. If I remember correctly, Javi's own words were something like "The audience supported me so much."

Javi is extremely popular in Russia as well. He gets a great reception in Moscow every time he competes there.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Aljona is howling in her skates. This was such a crappy underwhelming competition from practically everybody. The level of skating was just poor. I wouldn't be surprised if none of these medalists podium in Pyeongchang. The podium might as well be Sui/Han, S/M and D/R.

EDIT: When will Stolbova ever do a clean program? She's making people begin to think that she WAS actually doping in Sochi.

starla16

Medalist
Aljona is howling in her skates. This was such a crappy underwhelming competition from practically everybody. The level of skating was just poor. I wouldn't be surprised if none of these medalists podium in Pyeongchang. The podium might as well be Sui/Han, S/M and D/R.

EDIT: When will Stolbova ever do a clean program? She's making people begin to think that she WAS actually doping in Sochi.

because S/K have been marred by injuries, they only started to compete big again at Worlds last year. Stolbova was injured, then Klimov's turn. gheez

starla16

Medalist
Javi is extremely popular in Russia as well. He gets a great reception in Moscow every time he competes there.

Carolina also gets good applause in Russia, she is well respected. I don't understand how some people here are howling at russians are only cheering for russian skaters.

bobbob

Medalist
Maybe James and Cipres would be third (or even second) had the event been outside Russia, but I actually thought they deserved to be in fourth for the long. Their program was extremely messy with a botched twist, two footed quad (that should have gotten negative GOE), at least two out of three lifts that were very shaky, sloppy SBS spins, a pop by Vanessa on the first SBS combo and out of sync on the solo jump, and they only did an inside death spiral not an outside. I thought Z/E had better skating skills too, with every corresponding element stronger other than SBS.

charlotte14

Medalist

I would say Aliona is ceberating with Bruno and the team for their decision not to come here. The judging for them might not be very generous.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Our Deniss got quite the reception in Boston too! I remember thinking I needed to cheer extra loudly for him because he's from a smaller fed. But there was a lot of cheering and some Latvian flags too.

Barb

Record Breaker
First I'm not russian

But is true... if is another country aplaude their skaters it's ok ... if is russia OMG what atrocity .... and the russian aplaude all other countries ... I don't remenber one skate that wasn´t aplaude ...not like canadian for example in GP

_ I think that 1,2,3 in the pairs free skate was fair .... J/C weren't good today ( sorry but is true)... they were very slow in the ice and with a lot of mistakes in almost all elements ...

_ And for last: I like the LP T/M ... It's different ... it's not for the 100 time carmen, or other classic music ...or the same style over and over again ....

For me the problem was this https://youtu.be/ZLN12oX6q34?t=527 Vanessa and Morgan were dissapointed, it was being announced that they are in 4th place, and for me people is screaming like celebrating that Russia got all the medals, and it is okay celebrate to your athletes, but it was not the right moment, it was the moment for Vanessa and Morgan.