2018 Grand Prix Final Men's Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018 Grand Prix Final Men's Short Program

discode

Final Flight
Yeah, Nathan got all his levels and finally didn't get an edge call on his 4F. That saved the day.

I thought Jun's 4S was under when watching, same with Shoma's 4F. I think everyone skated pretty well though.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Today I learned that I should not be trusted with UR issues, I'll just light another incense stick for fully rotated quads for tomorrow and go sneak watch the ladies.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Yeah, Nathan got all his levels and finally didn't get an edge call on his 4F. That saved the day.

I thought Jun's 4S was under when watching, same with Shoma's 4F. I think everyone skated pretty well though.

I thought this was the best 4F Nathan’s done in a long time, and I actually don’t mind the GOE on that jump. The 3A... judges, let’s talk.

Jun’s 4S is almost always UR, unfortunately. I actually think his component scores were largely correct and would give Nathan and Shoma an edge in SS and PE (Jun is very good, but he’s not yet at their level of performance and projection). IE... they all deserve the same. TR, I would put Shoma ahead. CO, Nathan and Shoma are both tied, Jun maybe a quarter of a point back.

Giving Nathan the fall deduction would have capped his PCS, and taking off another 1.5 points for GOE would still put him at just over 90, or more likely 89 or so due to PCS caps. Shoma would be basically tied, and Jun six-ish points back, probably much less, rather than his current margin. I actually think this was one of Nathan’s best performances, but in terms of element quality, I think Shoma’s 3A should have a meaningful GOE advantage over Nathan’s and that Shoma and Jun should have an edge in the spins. Steps were actually good from everyone!

As always, my issue is less “so and so was overscored” than “someone was underscored relative to the numbers given to their peers.”

LadyB

Record Breaker
I've set the alarm for 3.35am, but went back to sleep again. Woke up in the middle of Nathan's programme. I cheered for Sergei...well, at least he's not last.
I've yet to watch Michal's programme. I gather it was another enjoyable event.

viennaskater

Medalist
Am I going nuts or is that right that Chen missed the combo? If so, why the heck is he in the lead?? That is NOT right. I admire his power but he is really just a jumping machine and not much else.

Something is very wrong with this competition.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Am I going nuts or is that right that Chen missed the combo? If so, why the heck is he in the lead??

:shrug: He's the Great American Hope. Matters more than whether he's actually as good as the hype still insists.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I mean, Shoma also missed his combo at the NHK Trophy short program and received a near-identical score, so...? :confused2: I don't think Nathan's score should be so high either (Junhwan was my fave tonight) but this isn't a bias reserved only for him...

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
My good people, I agree that Nathan Chen and Uno Shoma's scores and placings have issues, but can't we all agree that although improved, judges are refusing to give Junhwan his deserved PCS?
My take from seeing it live: Jun-hwan gave the best and most complicated performance of the night. He was amazing. PCS too low.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
My take from seeing it live: Jun-hwan gave the best and most complicated performance of the night. He was amazing. PCS too low.

Interesting. Did you feel his performance was on the same level as Nathan and Shoma in terms of audience connection and projection? Skating skills? Because that’s a large part of the argument I can manage for Nathan having an edge in component totals. (Though I still think Shoma, Nathan, and Jun should have been much closer in PCS.)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved seeing Fluffy give Shoma a huge hug. [emoji3590]
Shoma had the crowd totally captivated.

Best performances of the night definitely Uno, Cha, and Chen. But how can Chen be so high with no combo? :/

It was fun wasn't it? I thought they all seemed really nervous. Even in this morning's practice they seemed nervous! Ice is slippery!...Fluffy is the best.

Shouma gets my best dressed award for the short program for the PURPLE VELVET TRIM :laugh::rock: What a rockstar

I love the simplicity of this costume. His others have always been so elaborate. It's great that he changed things up a bit and even used a Canadian costume designer rather than his usual Satomi Ito costumes. Love the purple color and think the simplicity accentuates his great lines.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Interesting. Did you feel his performance was on the same level as Nathan and Shoma in terms of audience connection and projection? Skating skills? Because that’s a large part of the argument I can manage for Nathan having an edge in component totals. (Though I still think Shoma, Nathan, and Jun should have been much closer in PCS.)
It is true that there is something a bit less in Jun-hwan's skating in those categories than Nathan and Shoma. But his performance is so beautiful and intricate, and I still thought it was the best.

century2009

On the Ice
It was a good men's event.

I like this comeback for Michal as fun to watch him do well.

Keegan feels off at the moment.

Vorono is steady as it goes.

I like Jun, but wish he had better music this season because these musics makes him juniorish. But he was solid other than the UR issue.

I enjoy this fun rivalry between Shoma and Nathan. They have different style and really appreciate both of them. And it really seems like they are great friends.

Nathan learned from his mistake in France, to up his levels and did well here to save him.

I dont know if people know that missing a combo does NOT invalidate the jump, it is just the BV of the 1st jump with negative GOEs.

Yes, this was similiar to what happened to Shoma at NHK, and still 1st.

pesto

On the Ice
I'm really confused at what this announcer think is important to highlight. Like...isn't Nathan the reigning world champion? Did I have a seizure and miss that being announced? :rofl:

But Orser's Olympic medals and Brezina's marriage are so important!

I think they used the ISU biogs as their principal source. Cha's relocation to Canada, Orser's medals and Brezina's marriage are mentioned in the final paragraphs on those, while Chen's title is not. It is obviously in the results section, but not in the little biographical passage.

pesto

On the Ice
That would have been an enjoyable competition, were it not for the sound issues in the middle. Much less splatty than average. Not one perfect performance, but some fairly decent ones.

Messing seems to feel the pressure to replicate his outstanding performance at SC, and has lost the freedom that made him delightful to watch.

I'm delighted to see Michal's resurgence and Cha's emergence.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

Kevin! Is Hugo with you at the GPF? If so please feel free to give us some Hugo reports. I love them! *Hugo fangirl in the house*

oly2018

Final Flight
I don't quite get the outrage over Nathan being in first. Shoma and Alina both had similar mistakes during the Grand Prix and were in first place. People seem to have it out for Nathan, but he has worked on his PCS and this program offers something different to the judges, which may be why they respond to it.

I love Jun, but he needs better programs. Someone mentioned that he may be lowballed because he is young, but his programs are juniorish. Everyone gave Bradie flack for her Cinderella, but this program has the same issue. I also think Jun's performance quality isn't quite there. I found Brezina to be more expressive than him.

twirlingblades

Medalist
Am I going nuts or is that right that Chen missed the combo? If so, why the heck is he in the lead?? That is NOT right. I admire his power but he is really just a jumping machine and not much else.

Something is very wrong with this competition.

Did you watch everyone else?

twirlingblades

Medalist
I don't quite get the outrage over Nathan being in first. Shoma and Alina both had similar mistakes during the Grand Prix and were in first place. People seem to have it out for Nathan, but he has worked on his PCS and this program offers something different to the judges, which may be why they respond to it.

I love Jun, but he needs better programs. Someone mentioned that he may be lowballed because he is young, but his programs are juniorish. Everyone gave Bradie flack for her Cinderella, but this program has the same issue. I also think Jun's performance quality isn't quite there. I found Brezina to be more expressive than him.

I also don’t know if people realize that on top of the 4F< for Shoma, he also doubled the second half of his combo and got a level 3.

Everyone gave Nathan flack for missing levels, but he hit them all here and it helped make up for his combo miss (which doesn’t invalidate the first jump). I also think this was Nathan’s best overall performance and that helped with PCS as well.