2018 Grand Prix Final Men's Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018 Grand Prix Final Men's Short Program

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Junhwan CHA: new hair cut and new (almost?) sb! he was great! best performance so far.

Michal BREZINA: I won’t underestimate him again, I swear! I’m in going to put him on the podium in euros! I think he is the actual surprise of the season

Sergei VORONOV: for sure he is the most consistent russian man so far :luv17:but what costume violation?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I watched all men, but boy, how on earth did judges put Nathan in first with no combination, fall, travelled spin?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, Cha was amazing at his first GPF sp!!! He interprets the music beautifully and has such great flow in his skating, everything really enjoyable to watch. And his sp PCS has gone up with more than two points now, should have been even a bit more, IMO.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Messing seems to feel the pressure to replicate his outstanding performance at SC, and has lost the freedom that made him delightful to watch.

Don't forget that the big earthquake in his hometown of Anchorage, Alaska hampered his training before this event.

alexaa

Final Flight
I don't quite get the outrage over Nathan being in first. Shoma and Alina both had similar mistakes during the Grand Prix and were in first place. People seem to have it out for Nathan, but he has worked on his PCS and this program offers something different to the judges, which may be why they respond to it.

Nathan was helped a lot by his gorgeous 4f, and all the level 4s, even though he missed the combo, the 4t is fully rotated.

Some people either have selective memorie or should go watch more competitions.

I wanted Nathan to win, but I will be very happy if Shoma wins in the end. As a matter of fact, I really wish Shoma to break Nathan’s SkAm records before Yuzuru had the massive new record. Nathan really needs some challenges to motivate him to have more ice time, not to be buried in his loads of loads of homework.

I really don’t understand the outrage over his win last night.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well there is a battle for gold and then a battle for bronze and for Messing a battle for dignity.

twirlingblades

Medalist
I watched all men, but boy, how on earth did judges put Nathan in first with no combination, fall, travelled spin?

1) He only lost GOE points for the non-combo, and the first part (4T) was clean. Shoma doubled the 2nd part of his combo, and URd the 4F. So that negated Nathan’s non-combo.

2) he didn’t fall

3) Nathan had all level 4s. Shoma had three level 4s and a level 3.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
It is true that there is something a bit less in Jun-hwan's skating in those categories than Nathan and Shoma. But his performance is so beautiful and intricate, and I still thought it was the best.

Well... you’re killing my good faith arguments for the judges here! (And thank you again for screaming for both of us. Is a JULLLIIIEEEETTT scream-along too much to ask for in the free? [emoji56]) I thought Cha’s spins and step sequence GOEs were a touch low. Probably the curse of skating early — he’s been in the first group at every GP, and with the exception of Helsinki, he’s been one of the first in that group as well.

I’m not outraged or anything, but I do think the point gap between Cha and those ahead of him should be smaller. :noshake:

rachno2

Record Breaker
Well there is a battle for gold and then a battle for bronze and for Messing a battle for dignity.

??? His SP wasn't bad at all. Nerves and URs, but it was not a meltdown by any means. He came in as the alternate (and following an earthquake in his hometown!), stayed on his feet, and gave his home crowd an enjoyable performance. No loss of dignity in my book.

The battle for bronze seems to be between Brezina and Cha now. TBH, Brezina has surpassed so many of my expectations that I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow grabbed another silver out of this thing.

Metis

Record Breaker
??? His SP wasn't bad at all. Nerves and URs, but it was not a meltdown by any means. He came in as the alternate (and following an earthquake in his hometown!), stayed on his feet, and gave his home crowd an enjoyable performance. No loss of dignity in my book.

Skater Boy tends to speak in extremes (see, for example, his declaring Alina “done” immediately after Rika skated last night, or how Canadian ID was doomed when Piper and Paul had their rhythm dance issues at SCI). I tend to take his comments seriously but not literally.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Well... you’re killing my good faith arguments for the judges here! (And thank you again for screaming for both of us. Is a JULLLIIIEEEETTT scream-along too much to ask for in the free? [emoji56]) I thought Cha’s spins and step sequence GOEs were a touch low. Probably the curse of skating early — he’s been in the first group at every GP, and with the exception of Helsinki, he’s been one of the first in that group as well.

I’m not outraged or anything, but I do think the point gap between Cha and those ahead of him should be smaller. :noshake:
My friend and I both agreed and thought he should definitely be about Brezina. We will have a Juliet scream along. You can count on it. Did you see the video I posted of his practice today? Had a warm up for my Juliet scream as well! https://youtu.be/8vc8BsiQ86A

Metis

Record Breaker
My friend and I both agreed and thought he should definitely be about Brezina. We will have a Juliet scream along. You can count on it. Did you see the video I posted of his practice today? Had a warm up for my Juliet scream as well! https://youtu.be/8vc8BsiQ86A

Agree with Cha and Brezina being about the same.

Oh my goodness, watching now. So psyched for the JUUUULLLIIIEEEET. [emoji23] I remember first bonding with you over Rizzo’s edges and I’m just so thrilled you’re having such an awesome time at the GPF. When good things happen to good people, my heart gets all bubbly with happy feelings. <3

shine

Record Breaker
I also don’t know if people realize that on top of the 4F< for Shoma, he also doubled the second half of his combo and got a level 3.

Everyone gave Nathan flack for missing levels, but he hit them all here and it helped make up for his combo miss (which doesn’t invalidate the first jump). I also think this was Nathan’s best overall performance and that helped with PCS as well.

To be honest, SkAm was much better performance wise IMO. This one was much better than France and the levels might have been better on paper but didn't have the spark, intepretation and quality of execution from SkAm. I agree about not understanding the outrage over his win. He's only about a point more than Shoma, and it's not like Shoma was perfect by any means.

I'm also in agreement with those who think Cha's PCS should be much higher. I don't see where he's lacking compared to Nathan or Shoma, and perhaps even better in certain areas.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Someone else already said it, but Nathan didn't fall. He also got 14 points for his 4F alone. He was in first because his technical content was still higher, not because the judges put him there,

Metis

Record Breaker
Someone else already said it, but Nathan didn't fall. He also got 14 points for his 4F alone. He was in first because his technical content was still higher, not because the judges put him there,

He wasn’t called for a fall, which some of us find questionable, as a fall is defined as “loss of control by a skater with the result that the majority of his/her own body weight is on the ice supported by another part of the body other than the blades.” By that definition, I think Nathan’s landing on the 4T was clearly a fall, as his hand was clearly and visibly supporting his weight. That’s actually the decision I find most questionable.

He wasn’t called for a fall, ...

How does the scoring work there. Nathan already got straight -5s in GOE because of no combo, right? So all he could have lost is the extra -1 fall deduction?

I don't see any reason why Cha shouldn't be aiming for gold. If the two leaders don't deliver on all their planned content, Cha is only 4 points behind. (Brezhina, too.)

Metis

Record Breaker
How does the scoring work there. Nathan already got straight -5s in GOE because of no combo, right? So all he could have lost is the extra -1 fall deduction?

I don't see any reason why Cha shouldn't be aiming for gold. If the two leaders don't deliver on all their planned content, Cha is only 4 points behind. (Brezhina, too.)

His PCS would also be fractionally lower, at least if PCS caps were actually enforced when a fall is called by the TP, as he got 9.0s and 9.25s in PE and IE. (His SS, TR, and CO scores didn’t include any 9.50, so those are fine.) A fall would have shaved fractions of a quarter of a point off his PCS and added a -1.0 deduction to TSS.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't think there's outrage over the scores-- at least not by me or most of the other posts here.
But I do disagree with the SP scores and placements and would have had Shoma fractionally ahead. JMO.
When Shoma made a similar mistake on his SP earlier in the GP series, I had the same objection. In the end, however, it's all coming down to the FP. Hopefully, both can skate their best.