23YAN Han CHN213.011923video
24KVITELASHVILI Morisi GEO204.572224video
YEE Julian Zhi JieMASFNR25
BESSEGHIER Chafik FRAFNR26
TEN Denis KAZFNR27
MARTINEZ Michael Christian PHIFNR28
MONTOYA Felipe ESPFNR29
PANIOT Yaroslav UKRFNR30

I really enjoy these video posting.. no annoying commentary just the athletes doing their program... thanks you for the upload.:agree:

readernick

Medalist
I will agree with you except the part about Hanyu's performance quality. He usually is not at peak level until later in the season, so whatever was lacking could have been due to that.

I did not say Yuzuru's performance suffered here. He did excellent especially considering how he recently he came back from injury. But, did you watch his performance at Rostelecom Cup when he was attemping 4 different Quads including the lutz? Because, it worried me. Too much telegraphing for jumps. He was beginning to look like Nathan. ( I mean obviously a bit better but a lot of the beauty which you usually see in Yuzuru's skating was missing) And, I have to disagree about him peaking later in the season. Javier peaks later but Yuzuru has often delivered his best performances at the Grand Prix Final not at Worlds. Most beautiful set of skates (and the wr) was at the 2015 Grand Prix Final. The lack of performance quality was not just because it was early season it was because of too many Quads.

Nathan can perform. He really did quite well in the SP at US Nationals and in his younger days he was quite adorable. No pressure (he knew he would win) and so he was really dedicated. He has musciality but if you are trying to land 6 Quads then the musicality will be lost in the crossovers. So, I agree that he should jump fewer Quads and focus more on performance and quality of elements. But, he obviously knows what he is doing. So, if he wants to jump 6 Quads... he has that right.

temadd

Final Flight
I will agree with you except the part about Hanyu's performance quality. He usually is not at peak level until later in the season, so whatever was lacking could have been due to that.

I did not say Yuzuru's performance suffered here. He did excellent especially considering how he recently he came back from injury. But, did you watch his performance at Rostelecom Cup when he was attemping 4 different Quads including the lutz? Because, it worried me. Too much telegraphing for jumps. He was beginning to look like Nathan. ( I mean obviously a bit better but a lot of the beauty which you usually see in Yuzuru's skating was missing) And, I have to disagree about him peaking later in the season. Javier peaks later but Yuzuru has often delivered his best performances at the Grand Prix Final not at Worlds. Most beautiful set of skates (and the wr) was at the 2015 Grand Prix Final. The lack of performance quality was not just because it was early season it was because of too many Quads.

Nathan can perform. He really did quite well in the SP at US Nationals and in his younger days he was quite adorable. No pressure (he knew he would win) and so he was really dedicated. He has musciality but if you are trying to land 6 Quads then the musicality will be lost in the crossovers. So, I agree that he should jump fewer Quads and focus more on performance and quality of elements. But, he obviously knows what he is doing. So, if he wants to jump 6 Quads... he has that right.

Nathan does 2 quads and gets around 30 pts. If those were triples 13-14ish points. With doing those triples and improved PCS, I still don't think it would equal the value of 2 quads. He played the numbers game and it worked out pretty well for him. I did miss his performance skills in that program but it was pretty historic and epic.

cheerio2

On the Ice
You must've missed posters spamming the same message in multiple threads about Nathan coulda/woulda/shoulda winning. Back in 2014, people wondered about what Asadas could've potentially achieved, but not to this degree of try.

People wondering what a skater could have achieved on a figure skating discussion board. What has the world come to? 😞

mskater93

Record Breaker
He repeated 4S and 4T, cannot repeat 3A. Last worlds, he did 2 4T, 1 4S and a 4 Lo and 2 3A. Injury took 4Lo from reptoire for now

FCSSp4

Rinkside
I don't understand why people bash Nathan, he was so amazing in the free! Shame he did so poorly in the SP :( At least he got a hug from Yuzuru :love: that's almost as good as medal hahaha

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I don't understand why people bash Nathan, he was so amazing in the free! Shame he did so poorly in the SP :( At least he got a hug from Yuzuru :love: that's almost as good as medal hahaha

I wouldn't quite say that. Pretty sure Nathan would have preferred the medal, no matter how nice the hug was. ;)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Let's not lump people into 'All those Nathan Fans' or 'Those Yuzu fans' it will only lead to ugly bickering. Everyone has had their say on this particular topic. So let's move on before the thread gets derailed. :ghug:
Who else stood out to you outside the top 5?
For me, Aliev's skate was the most painful to watch...I hope he is ok.
And my family got a real kick out of Paul Fentz and his GOT program.
Misha Ge is always a joy to watch.

risingtrot

On the Ice
Lots of discussions about Nathan =)

I like and support Nathan. I don't really care how much quads he put in his program. However, I do feel that the choreography gets lost as he becomes too focused on getting the jumps done. He has improved in terms of artistry, etc needed for PCS but when he needs to land the big jumps, he gets too focused on them and the whole choreograpy falls back to his original 'jumping bean' days. The only break you get is when he does the spins and step sequence. I feel this is what happened in his Free Skate. He was just focused on getting those BV points.

That said, I think he is very capable of having a more balanced choreography with additional transitions, etc for the PCS, GOEs even with a lot of quads. I think he just needs more time and maybe better choreography and finally maybe a stronger mindset which I think will come with experience.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Let's not lump people into 'All those Nathan Fans' or 'Those Yuzu fans' it will only lead to ugly bickering. Everyone has had their say on this particular topic. So let's move on before the thread gets derailed. :ghug:

Daniel Samohin and Alexei Bychenko! :yahoo: Daniel is such a wildcard and I really expected the worst after everything he's gone through the past 2 seasons. But having Morozov in his team made a world of difference. And Alexei is just living his best life and going out with a bang!

Of course, I love watching Deniss even in spite of his falls, Misha Ge, and I enjoyed Michal's SP - best I've seen from him in a long time.

Dima did hurt himself a bit but he wasn't going to give up - he fought to the end.

dalenofff

Rinkside
if you open all top six videos and play them all at the same time.. it's an awesome set of sound tracks.. :cool14::tantrum::yes2::peace::hap57:

dalenofff

Rinkside

well I predicted that Vincent would come in 4-8 so I'm very happy he hit the middle and place 6..:yay::hap93::hap57::dance2:

Rissa

Record Breaker
How is that hyping Nathan, when that's exactly what happened tonight! I am simply blown away by these younger generations coming up doing the impossible 4 years ago. I cheered for everyone of them. Look how men's figure skating has evolved. THEY HAVE REVOLUTIONIZED MEN'S FIGURE SKATER WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT. They've pushed even Hanyu to learn more quads!

I'm reading those reactions with the perspective of a day-after and dear, I think I'm turning into an actual Hanyu fan.

I love me some quads. I love good jumps. My main beef with Nathan and Shoma (and to much lesser extent Boyang) this season was that their programs looked great on paper and much worse in execution. I'm happy they actually managed to deliver at Olys because I was just about to turn into one of those quads-are-ruining-the-sport moaners.

But let's be real. They revolutionized men's figure skating and pushed even Hanyu to learn more quads... and yet Hanyu defeats them with a quad Sal and quad Toe, doped up on painkillers, with 3 weeks of training. Let's not exaggerate the extent of the revolution, mmmkay?

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
This is a blanket warning for this thread.
Golden Skate is about the discussion of figure skating that is informative and constructive. Repetitive posts of the same arguments over and over again do not add anything to the discussion.
Please keep in mind the forum guidelines against bickering going forward.
The thread has been moderated.
Thank you.

Xorasy

Rinkside
Finally got to watch the men's FS on Swedish Eurosport and of course they had to down-talk Hanyu. They seriously said that Fernandez has more difficult transitions compared to Boyang and Hanyu, and that he and Chan hade more steps in his program than the rest of the field, with Fernandez being better than Chan??? They also complained about Bychenko and Samohin just skating between their jumps but they saw nothing wrong with Chen's program, and they were chocked that he only had two more points in PCS. After Hanyu's skate they also said that he was figure skating biggest's diva and that he wasn't going to get more humble are his skate?? Throughout the whole competition they would mention how much they loved Uno, Chen, Chan and Fernandez and hoped that they would skate well, and saying positive things even after their mistakes. About Hanyu they were mostly mentioning his the bad landnings and how he wasn't perfect. I seriously don't understand them.

zhaikey

Spectator
Yuzuru said in an interview that he wouldn't have won if his competitors would have skated their best. He knew very well.

Yes, but only bcoz he was and still is injured. he lowered his BV, he skated with painkillers, 3 weeks of practice.

If everyone is healthy and on their good condition... who do you think will win?

Everyone (well, almost everyone) knows that perfect Hanyu is unbeatable Hanyu.