2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS | Page 172 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens FS

shan22044

On the Ice
I am a US figure skating fan who's of a certain age (LOL). I've watched it all for exactly 30 years now. I've had a few favorites every now and then, but I've never qualified as a fangirl of anyone for many reasons--mostly because I just love the competition and the skating itself. But after this year, thinking about the Olympics journey, and watching Yuzuru Hanyu's gala performance for the second time, I do have to say...

He really is the greatest.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I am a US figure skating fan who's of a certain age (LOL). I've watched it all for exactly 30 years now. I've had a few favorites every now and then, but I've never qualified as a fangirl of anyone for many reasons--mostly because I just love the competition and the skating itself. But after this year, thinking about the Olympics journey, and watching Yuzuru Hanyu's gala performance for the second time, I do have to say...

He really is the greatest.

I think I’m older relative to to most posters as well, though I wish I had your knowledge and could say I’d been watching for as long as you have. But I agree. Yuzuru really is the greatest. ❤️

Yagudin was the last male skater who made me drop everything to watch, but I also remember that era for having a robust field. Men’s felt exciting, at least as I remember it, and it was clear things were changing: the quad squad, Goebels as the original Quad King, Yagudin’s footwork, etc. It was a joy to watch in a way it hasn’t been until the past few years, at least for me, but this Olympics brought back that magic. There are so many skaters I can’t wait to see develop, so many top talents pushing the limits (I could watch Boyang’s 4Lz on loop forever — it’s gigantic), and then Hanyu, who’s in a league of his own.

I know it wasn’t the performance he wanted to give, although it was still cleaner than his free skate at Sochi, but when he collapsed on the ice over the rings, completely spent after his free... that image is my Olympic moment. Though for my mother, it’s Hanyu’s gala performance. I knew what was coming, but she didn’t, and I really should have had the tissues ready....