2019 World Championships Pairs Short Program | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Pairs Short Program

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Btw are Zhenya and Vlad dating again? I thought they were broken up but he kissed her at the end very close to or maybe on the lips, so now Im cofused. Don’t get me wrong, I do not care about gossip but I have to admit I love the thought of them being a couple, they look so cute [emoji5]🥰

GGFan

Record Breaker
This may just be my interpretation, but it seems like the judges weren't ready to hand the win over to J/C if they were clean. I really thought they would be propped up a bit on the pcs side, but nope.

I do wonder what would happen if S/H had been in the last group instead of the 3rd....

I don't think the win was ever going to be handed to them The teams ahead of them were not at their peak earlier in the season. Their PCS was capped by the fall and in terms of classic pairs refinement they were always going to be 3rd in PCS to a clean T/M and S/H (though close). I also think that on GOE, T/M and S/H have an advantage. J/C need to go clean in the free. They're one of the few teams who can consistently land their SBS. Ice is slippery and anything can happen.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really really wish that T/M can skate clean and win tomorrow. They were exceptional today and I'm really happy to see them happy after the kind of season that they've had.

I doubt it but you never know. I doubt Sui and Han will be clean as well. The French maybe but if SH are close the gold will go to the Chinese. T and M could be the giantkiller. If the go relatively clean and sh make a big mistake they might be able to hold off the FRench. Big news USA will have two teams next year. Real dark hourse would be the Canadians who are in fifth - if S/H tumble and or PJ and the FRench struggle they could podium. Likely no. Still two of the teams ahead are coming back from injury so you never know.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If there were any justice, Sui/Han would lead over the snooze fest that is currently leading....

And can I say I do not like the Lumineers. I do not like that song. And it affects my enjoyment of the second Chinese couple.

I will show myself out now :slink:

Ah but what is justice. One can argue The chinese deserve a big break after their injuries other could argue justice is that they struggle like anyone else coming back from injury. Sweet justice is in the eye of the bheholder.

neusw

On the Ice
S/H skating last tomorrow. Hopefully closing it out with a bang and giving what that absolute masterpiece of a program deserves.

gold12345

Medalist
I am happy for the US but really I think they should be behind the N Koreans. Someone really likes C/L or wants USA to have two teams.

I'm not sure I'd go as low as Ryom/Kim, but Cain/LeDuc should be behind Ziegler/Kiefer and Hase/Seegert, maybe even Walsh/Michaud. They didn't have any elements that were strong enough to put them ahead of all those teams. The jump is C/L's strongest element, so when they miss that, they don't have a lot to fall back on. Perhaps Start Order came into play, but it shouldn't have mattered. It's not as if the judges are unfamiliar with Ziegler/Kiefer, who had a strong fall season, and there were only 19 pairs, so it's not as if it was difficult to remember how the early groups skated. Z/K and H/S both left a few points on the table, but they still were stronger than C/L today.

I could see if the Start Order was based purely on merit, but we all know the World standings are somewhat skewed based on how many events you attend/don't attend (which is why Sui/Han are always so low).

I want the US to have two spots, but I want it to be fair instead of them just handing it to us.

Canada1

Spectator
I doubt it but you never know. I doubt Sui and Han will be clean as well. The French maybe but if SH are close the gold will go to the Chinese. T and M could be the giantkiller. If the go relatively clean and sh make a big mistake they might be able to hold off the FRench. Big news USA will have two teams next year. Real dark hourse would be the Canadians who are in fifth - if S/H tumble and or PJ and the FRench struggle they could podium. Likely no. Still two of the teams ahead are coming back from injury so you never know.

I agree with the Canadians being the dark horse. I was able to see their long program at Skate Canada and I think it's very underrated. There are many little choreographic sequences that are perfectly timed to the music. Good Job Julie Marcotte! I really love her programs and this fun style for these two. I can see MTM putting down a great performance of skating consistently all season, but with little errors.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Seriously, fate is cruel. So sad that happened to Vanessa. Clearly she was hurting and badly shaken. Matteo must have been as well.

Did she pop the SBS or did Morgan?

T/M were best I've ever seen them. Did they change the choreo from last season? It seems a lot better.

But dang that wasn't what I dreamed of for this final flight. One of the scariest collisions I've seen.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
WORLD CHAMPIOSNHIPS PREDICTIONS GAME - PAIRS SMALL MEDALS

Curious about the small podium after the Pairs SP? There are 117 participants in the game and there are as many as 35 gold, 52 silver and 16 bronze medals :) It must be one of the most numerous podiums :)

80 points

Alexcdj
alyssamarie
Azcha
Baron Vladimir
Becki
BravesSkateFan
cathlen
DenissVFan
Dreamer57
dunnoww
elektra blue
gizmo
GoneWithTheWind
gonewiththewind25
Hyena
invisiblespiral
Kittosuni
Ladybug89
lutz
Marin
marulia
MrECartman
Naaat
Nadjell
ntnext
NYscorp6
okokok1777
Phireye
Pocaguri
ragdoll
rikaquegira
Roast Toast
rosacotton
RoyThree
ruga
satine
Seven Sisters
Shakuhachi
Shedi0806
Skater Boy
skylark
Spirals for Miles
Step Sequence4
StephenGfan
StitchMonkey
SubRosa
sunnystars
surimi
taylor1
voolfee
Winry
Yuzuruu
90 points

apgold
Arriba627
baymax24
cabres
CanadianSkaterGuy
Chris Cooper
Colonel Green
desertskates
DSQ
FSLover17
GINO
hoamay254
IndiaP12
itofan
jenaj
katymay
KlausA
Koatterce
LaArdilla
LanaD
Maju
Maria Anna
MintGreen
moonkat
moonstruck
Nirti
NoNameFace
noraaa
Pandicorn
readernick
Sabine
SashaJuliaSpins
SnowWhite
TheBallerina
Ziotic
70 points

betaincanada
cake
casualfan
CherylDee
figurefan0726
Fish in the sea
Jeanie19
LadyB
leilaraj
lichi
Nathan13
sweetice
theharleyquinn
TT_Fin
Weathergal
xibsuarz

Let's see how it changes after tomorrow's FS.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did she pop the SBS or did Morgan?

But dang that wasn't what I dreamed of for this final flight. One of the scariest collisions I've seen.

Very scary. The THUD was so loud! Morgan doubled his SBS, and so did Matteo Guarise. Clearly everyone was pretty shaken up. Such a shame. Hope they're ok.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
To my great despair, despite the fact figure skating in Japan is usually a friendly time zone for me, the pairs are on in the middle of the day and I missed all the pairs! :(

However, the Russian stream is replaying some of it, I hope hope hope they'll show T/M at some point! I wanna see :biggrin:

They just showed Alexandra and Dmitrii, nice pair, except what the Heck is that version of Dark Eyes they're skating to?! I was just watching Plushy's FS to that music last night and whatever version Alexandra and Dmitrii are using should be burned, because it's really epic music when done right. :p

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you in Saitama? It was just heartbreaking. [emoji22]

Don't I wish! I'm in Schaumburg! :laugh: But I was watching on NBC Gold. Super scary. Nicole and Matteo were just starting to gain speed when they hit Vanessa. Lucky they weren't skating any faster. Thank goodness those incidents are rare.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
No, I'm in Schaumburg! [emoji23] But I was watching on NBC Gold. Super scary. Nicole and Matteo were just starting to gain speed when they hit Vanessa. Lucky they weren't skating any faster. Thank goodness those incidents are rare.
I was hoping I could live vicariously through you! But best not to have seen that one in person. [emoji22]

LadyB

Record Breaker
I think the commentary is more on the program itself rather than any mistakes they've had today. It's been clear since the beginning of the season that it was the weaker program, and it's a variation on the same alternative theme they've been going with.

I'm not blaming their mistakes to Guillame at all. My comment was on the choreography. This program is what I would've expected from them in around the 2014-2016 seasons where they were figuring out their own kind of artistic flavour. This Uninvited program just feels like a step back from who they are today.

Okay, fair point :thumbsup:

methinks Guillame should've refine his choreographic skills before giving any to skaters like James/Cipres

This just sounded a bit like he had talked them into it and J/C were too innocent to see that it wasn't the right programme for them. They should know what they are capable of, they could have said 'non'.
Anyway, they are really unlucky at big competitions sometimes. Still time to make it onto the podium.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don't I wish! I'm in Schaumburg! :laugh: But I was watching on NBC Gold. Super scary. Nicole and Matteo were just starting to gain speed when they hit Vanessa. Lucky they weren't skating any faster. Thank goodness those incidents are rare.

Oh no, I didn't know there was a collision. Poor Vanessa, I hope she's OK? Although I see they're in 7th right now :( I hope they can make up some ground in the FS, they've been having a great season!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Just saw some pairs, Tarasova/Morozov SP was pure perfection. They were like completely different pair than how they looked on Euros :clap:

Sk8swan

On the Ice
The collision was scary! Tbh at such level in a warm up with other pairs you cannot allow yourself to do backcrossovers alone without really looking where you are going... this said it was unfortunate that she and Matteo just changed trajectory at the exact same time (he trying to avoid her after pushing Nicole away so she would not collide herself). From what I have been told Matteo hurt his ribs in the fall, I don't know about her. It was obvious the collision had an impact on both performance and that's too bad... hope both of them will be fine by tomorrow!