2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't think Gaby should be prevented to go to whatever competition, but she needs perfect jumps, similar to Tutkamisheva. Liza wouldn't have qualified for the worlds, if she weren't close to perfect t previous competitions . And Russia's field is so deep.
The problems for Canada is having only one spot. May the best athlete get that spot!

I think they need to go with the skater that performs best at Nationals, no skater on their current roster of active ladies has a resume that justifies ignoring Nationals results.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think they need to go with the skater that performs best at Nationals, no skater on their current roster of active ladies has a resume that justifies ignoring Nationals results.
at this point in time, yes. send the National Champion. Things could happen however until then...

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Well Gabby was given favor in the 18-19 season, she finished 5th at Nationals but was still sent to Worlds.
There wasn't a clear cut choice for 18-19.

They sent Alaine who finished first at Nationals but had finished 16th at 4CC. (She finished 23rd at World's.)
They sent Aurora who finished second at Nationals. (She finished 35th failing to make the FS. It was also her first big international senior event.)
And they sent Gabby who finished 5th at Nationals. (She finished 11th at World's - the best showing for Canadian women by far.)

It is important to note that at Nationals Aurora (2nd) and Gabby (5th) were separated by less than 3 points.

They left off Veronik who finished third at Nationals and 9th at 4CC.
They left off Larkyn who finished fourth at Nationals and 10th at 4CC. (She only went to 4CCs because Aurora didn't have the technical minimums yet.)

Another point is that while we don't know how well Veronik and Larkyn would have done if they had gone to World's Gabby scored a 192 at World's 22 points higher than Veronik's 4CC score.

If anything, you could argue their so called "favour" of Gabby is what allowed then to have 2 spots and not just one at the 2021 World's. (2020 World's but with the cancelled Worlds 2021 instead.)

And they DID go by Nationals for the first two spots.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Brooke McIntosh/Ben Mimar skated senior pairs domestically at Skate Canada Challenge in January. Are they planning to compete Junior internationally next season?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Brooke McIntosh/Ben Mimar skated senior pairs domestically at Skate Canada Challenge in January. Are they planning to compete Junior internationally next season?
I would imagine so. They could do pretty well internationally, I think, based on what the junior scene looked like when we last saw it and assorted splits and graduations since.

MaHa75

On the Ice
I always wondered why lot of people want that national should be base of who to choose? ! This is not right in my opinion! This is only one competition. The federation should have statetd better criteria. For example Finlands federation always stated before season start that they send to world championships this skater who earns highest points in internation competition at least 21 days before worlds. Its fair...everyone try their best to last minute and are in good shape! And this system is clear as water!

Reactions: waj

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I always wondered why lot of people want that national should be base of who to choose? ! This is not right in my opinion! This is only one competition. The federation should have statetd better criteria. For example Finlands federation always stated before season start that they send to world championships this skater who earns highest points in internation competition at least 21 days before worlds. Its fair...everyone try their best to last minute and are in good shape! And this system is clear as water!
Canada doesn’t always choose the National Champ. It does have weight in their decision but they do look at the whole season. For example, last year Nam was supposed to go to worlds and Keegan went this year even though Roman was the National champ. Roman had a really disappointing season internationally so winning Nationals wasn’t enough to cancel that out.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I always wondered why lot of people want that national should be base of who to choose? !
Decades of tradition dating back to when there wasn't nearly as much of an international season.

Every major federation has been moving more toward body-of-work selections in recent years, to varying degrees (I think Skate Canada still puts more weight on nationals than some others do, e.g., they told Bausback she'd get to go to 2020 Worlds as long as she got the minimums -- which in that instance lead to them getting some criticism from people for not weighing other results more).

Keegan is another case study in this because I think a lot of people consider him Canada's default top man now even though he has never actually won nationals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Exactly... Keegan has never won nationals and was sent, just the same way Kevin Reynolds for a while was sent and was never a national champion either.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is doable...all skaters from small feds doing it all that time! There is always 2 week gap. I really hope to see Ruiter and Madeline in canadian team next team. I know you all love Gabby but it is time to give these places to younger! Her time is over!
Well if we take this approach then Hanyu should get his butt off the ice. He has been around for a long time and has had lots of opportunities and medals. Truth is the Canadian ladies are at their lowest - think Netty Kim or Hether Kemkren. Gabby deserves to go if she earns the spot. But honestly it doesn't look good for her. I honestly dont understand how things got so bad. From 2017 world bronze medallist to this.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Madeline, 13th at worlds on her first big senior competition (not even GP experience...) I don't think that's Canada at its lowest.

It's not competitive with the Russians but who is besides the Japanese. Let's chill out on the Canadian ladies. They will get there.

In the meantime, why don't you read this article

It explains how some believe that it will take 12 years for Canada to get back on par with the Russian ladies. How will they do it? With science. Biomechanics. They will train our young athletes with all the possible tool they can, focus on healthy happy athletes, as the training regiment seen in Russia is not possible/acceptable in Canada.

So let's make a deal : if, in 12 years, Canada is still so far behind in ladies, then let's complain about it. In the meantime, I am willing to accept that our ladies will shoot for the top 10, perhaps on good years anywhere close but below the podium. This also can put in perspective how amazing Kaetlyn and Gabby were in 2017-2018, still managing podiums despite very consistent and well-trained Russian ladies. Let's celebrate Kaetlyn and Gabby a bit longer for their achievements instead of dissing the current crop. It's okay to enjoy successes of the past years :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a long-going debate, one in which my opinion differs from yours.

My rationale is this: selecting the team on the basis on an extended ranking period diminishes the potential of skaters who work themselves into peak shape over the course of the season, gradually adding confidence, polish, and difficulty. It also negates the possibility of a new and exciting star coming out of nowhere, performing under pressure, and seizing the day.

Prime example of what I'm talking about: The Finnish ranking system you describe would have almost certainly left Jason Brown off the Olympic team in 2014. He had respectable international results, including a GP medal, but I suspect other skaters at US Nationals could have argued that they had the better international resume.

But the debate won't be settled soon, or here.

LutzDance

On the Ice
New to the thread 😛 Not sure where to post this thing, but hope y'all enjoy some Canadian skating from this event by the Ice Theatre of New York: Pivoting Through The Pandemic. Featuring Kaitlyn Weaver, Elladj Baldé, Vanessa James, Starr Andrews, Adam Rippon, Jason Brown, Oona Brown, Gage Brown, and more :biggrin:

I particularly enjoyed Kaitlyn's solo dance to Carol King's "I Feel the Earth Move" starting at 27'22". The choreography is by Eliot Halverson.

Weathergal

Medalist
New to the thread 😛 Not sure where to post this thing, but hope y'all enjoy some Canadian skating from this event by the Ice Theatre of New York: Pivoting Through The Pandemic. Featuring Kaitlyn Weaver, Elladj Baldé, Vanessa James, Starr Andrews, Adam Rippon, Jason Brown, Oona Brown, Gage Brown, and more :biggrin:

I particularly enjoyed Kaitlyn's solo dance to Carol King's "I Feel the Earth Move" starting at 27'22". The choreography is by Eliot Halverson.
Just watched Kaitlyn's dance so far - excellent! She did such a great job. So joyful, and she looks beautiful. Will have to check out the rest of the event. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: