2021 Cup of Warsaw: Pairs Free Skate | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2021 Cup of Warsaw: Pairs Free Skate

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
T/M have no competition here, so they can afford a few minor bobbles. But they should strive for perfection. I wonder why their team thought they needed to enter this event?

Glad to see C/J come storming back, and land their first jump well, and only minor balance issues on the second jumping pass. Then they were able to showcase their exquisite talents on everything else. It looked to me like the judges were hard-pressed to give C/J a bit better GOE where they have such great quality. Very stingy, and so generous on GOE with some other teams. But talent wins the day.

I suppose Iasmina/Ivan won over P/P on tech, and the over-scoring on GOE. Looking at the stats, I think P/P deserved higher scores in some PCS categories. That could have made the difference. But anyway, both of these younger Russian teams won't have a chance to make Worlds with the domestic teams in front of them.

The victory ceremony has taken place. It was all fairly subdued. Nice to see C/J skating up to their level. The judges need to show them a bit more respect. But they also need to be more consistent and confident too.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I dunno...these past three pairs have looked super tentative and I don't know if it's the stream quality but quite slow, I think they're all a bit afraid still!

šŸ‘‹ back at Nina M. I've always been jealous of her glasses game šŸ¤£
Yeah, perhaps. But I'm sure the music starting helps to get them into muscle memory mode. It's definitely hard to skate after seeing or knowing about a competitor team's fall mishap in the middle of their program.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
purplecat said:
It gave me flashbacks to Cain & LeDuc's scary fall. But thankfully they stopped this time.

Yeah, sure, but the difference is that Timothy did not go down too, just Ash. But Ash was not knocked out and she got up to finish. It's a split second, almost rote decision, since skaters are trained to get up and continue after a fall. Unless, they have instituted new protocols, that's usually what happens. And the crowd and officials tend to simply watch, kind of numb at first that something bad happened. The crowd just tends to wait and see if the skaters will get up.

Looking back at what happened, Danny was moving backward with Chelsea in his arms also facing backward. So when Danny's blade caught a rut in the ice, he fell backward, and they both hit their heads on the ice. He couldn't break her fall, as they were both in awkward positions landing backward. They will both need to be observed under concussion protocol. Prayers for both! ā™„ļø

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

So scary, I hope they will be OK

Thanks for the update.

That does not sound good for Chelsea. Good grief. I'm so sorry. That sounds like she's out for the season, if not for the career. We all know what can happen with concussions, even when the skater thinks they are okay at first or that they might recover (Josh Farris; Julianne Seguin; et al., including the U.S. male skater from many years ago who suffered more serious head injuries, with resultant speech disability).

Still, hopefully this is just a worst case scenario, and Chelsea can recover physically and mentally. It also depends if she turns out to not have serious concussion injury, whether or not she has a strong desire to come back from this setback. I hope so. They possess a lot of promise together.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I just came here to ask if there was a link to see the pair's program since Peacock doesn't seem to have Warsaw but now....
:cry:šŸ˜²

I hope they are okay.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
omg.. what happened? i was at work... he is so strong usually...but i am all in for more thierry lift practice ;)
Danny's blade caught (probably a rut in the ice) as they were moving backward, and he was holding Chelsea in his arms (she was also facing backward to the ice). There was no opportunity to react or to break their fall. They both hit their heads on the ice. Reportedly, Chelsea lost consciousness for a period, and she had low blood pressure. Danny had a cut to his head that bled, but otherwise reportedly he seems okay. I would think they both still have to be monitored under concussion protocols.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just came here to ask if there was a link to see the pair's program since Peacock doesn't seem to have Warsaw but now....
:cry:šŸ˜²

I hope they are okay.

Check the 2021 Warsaw Cup links on YouTube. Full streaming videos for each day are posted. There were a lot of up-and-coming and new pairs teams who competed. It is worth taking a look. The problem in the sp is that Deanna & Maxime of Canada were completely cut off (they started first in the sp), and Chelsea/Danny's sp was shown only at the tail end. That's where the sp stream started for some inept reason.

I haven't seen many of the sps, but I caught quite a few of the fps. I think the pair from Georgia, Metelkina/Parkman, are very interesting, definitely reminiscent physically of Aljona Savchenko & Bruno Massot. Plus, they skated to Sav/Mas fp music. During the choreographic sequence, Parkman breaks out into this unexplained aggressive mode with staccato moves, looking as if he's angry with Metelkina (i.e. playing a character). It's rather cheeky and unexpected. They are definitely interesting, attractive, well-matched, and worth following.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Danny's blade caught (probably a rut in the ice) as they were moving backward, and he was holding Chelsea in his arms (she was also facing backward to the ice). There was no opportunity to react or to break their fall. They both hit their heads on the ice. Reportedly, Chelsea lost consciousness for a period, and she had low blood pressure. Danny had a cut to his head that bled, but otherwise reportedly he seems okay. I would think they both still have to be monitored under concussion protocols.
i was not talking about Liu/O Shea... I was responding to a post about Matte-Ferland's botched lift... thanks for the response but please read the posts if you are going to quote and reply.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, sure, but the difference is that Timothy did not go down too, just Ash. But Ash was not knocked out and she got up to finish. It's a split second, almost rote decision, since skaters are trained to get up and continue after a fall. Unless, they have instituted new protocols, that's usually what happens. And the crowd and officials tend to simply watch, kind of numb at first that something bad happened. The crowd just tends to wait and see if the skaters will get up.

In fact, Ashley was knocked out for a few seconds. Then, she came to and immediately went into 'athlete' mode, like you said, it's automatic to get up and finish the program, because that's their training.

Looking back at what happened, Danny was moving backward with Chelsea in his arms also facing backward. So when Danny's blade caught a rut in the ice, he fell backward, and they both hit their heads on the ice. He couldn't break her fall, as they were both in awkward positions landing backward. They will both need to be observed under concussion protocol. Prayers for both! ā™„ļø

Prayers for both.:pray::pray::pray: and love to bothā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

sworddance21

On the Ice
I know. It's frightening to see something like that. I wonder why didn't get a stretcher.
I'm just now watching it. It happened so fast - my God. Really I cannot understand how in seven hells anyone thought it was a good idea to walk/drag Chelsea off the ice like that. She should have been immobilized and taken off the ice on a stretcher. Danny, too, probably, but Chelsea 100%.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
That was horrifying and please universe let them be okay. My heart goes out to them. I don't know why Chelsea wasn't carried out on a stretcher either. She barely looked conscious. How long did they lay on the ice before they were taken off? There was a jump cut in the video I saw. And props to the cameraperson who gave them privacy by moving the camera away from Chelsea and Danny after the music cut off. We only saw them again when they skated by the camera to get off the ice.

I hope they are staying overnight at a hospital so that the doctors can keep a close eye on them, and that they will not not rush back into training before they are medically/psychologically ready.

All the teams must have been very shocked and rattled by it. I would not have been able to skate after seeing a team get so injured.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
i was not talking about Liu/O Shea... I was responding to a post about Matte-Ferland's botched lift... thanks for the response but please read the posts if you are going to quote and reply.
Ummm, okay, my bad eh. Same to you 4everchan. Have a nice evening. ;) Your "omg, what happened? I was at work," in reaction to a botched lift by Matte/Ferland, when something much more of a serious and dangerous nature happened at this competition. Alrighty.

Last edited: