2021 JGP Ljubljana: Women's Free Skate | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Ljubljana: Women's Free Skate

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Wait what, an "e" ? I didn't read the protocols and thought it was a !.

How do you go from a clean lutz to a flutz in a span of the night?
In the SP she was called 3F and 3Lz+3T.

In the LP she had 3Lz(!)+3T, 3F(!), and 3Lz(e)+2T+2Lo, in their opinion.

Now I do think she escaped the (!) call on her Lutz in the SP (at least by their standards, this should be getting (!) because she rolls onto a flat even though she's on an outside edge initially). But the Flip is fine.

And yes, exactly, she can't suddenly change her technique within the span of a comp, where she's doing a correct 3Lz, and then also a 3Lz(!), and ALSO a 3Lz(e). Wtf?!

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think whatever key for the finals will be chosen, Adelia fulfills all possible variants (do not want to jinx that of course).

If they use placements, she has a 1st and a 3rd place. I don't see how she can be out with that. The only ones who can match the points of these placements or get more are the 4 others Russians who have a 2nd assignement and Levito.
If they use scores, she's already above Samodekina on total or average score of both events. Only 5 skaters can do better (Akatieva, Zhilina, Zinina, Muravieva, Levito). So that puts her in 6th place at the worst. A qualifying place.
Who knows, with the ISU being the ISU, I could see them coming up with some kind of country quota system for the sake of "fairness".

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
In the SP she was called 3F and 3Lz+3T.

In the LP she had 3Lz(!)+3T, 3F(!), and 3Lz(e)+2T+2Lo, in their opinion.

Now I do think she escaped the (!) call on her Lutz in the SP (at least by their standards, this should be getting (!) because she rolls onto a flat even though she's on an outside edge initially). But the Flip is fine.

And yes, exactly, she can't suddenly change her technique within the span of a comp, where she's doing a correct 3Lz, and then also a 3Lz(!), and ALSO a 3Lz(e). Wtf?!
lol, I made the same argument when Aliona had both lutz and flip called in the same program, and the flip the day before wasn’t called. But people were telling me it’s possible and justified 😂

Skatesocs

Final Flight
lol, I made the same argument when Aliona had both lutz and flip called in the same program, and the flip the day before wasn’t called. But people were telling me it’s possible and justified 😂
I really don't know what to say lol. Usually it doesn't happen, and it didn't happen here. Sometimes, we see a skater concentrating a lot on the edge they've been trying to fix, but towards the end of the program their energy is lower so they might not be able to do it (Lipnitskaya's lutz edge for example, she used to focus on the outside edge earlier in the program, but not always able to maintain the same focus towards the end - but then it used to just slip to (!)... And Kwan was an obvious Flutzer who did (!) and 'e' lutzes in the same program mid-career). Or like we were discussing with Trusova's 3F vs 4F (one much harder, so may not be able to focus as much on it). But these are such rare cases, and even then, wouldn't the TP at least do a double take and at least check once more? Did they really think Kim here had a correct lutz edge, and then somehow did 3Lz(!), and then somehow also did 3Lz(e), and decided to not even check before passing the calls onto the judges?

And clearly Kim wasn't focusing on correcting her natural habit and jump from the outside edge on her lutz at any point during her programs. She just jumped it like she probably always does. You can just tell. Her entry is pre-rotated around half, which basically makes it very difficult to maintain that outside edge. The flat edge was obvious in the SP, and it was the same flat edge in the LP both times. And how would that happen anyway? Somehow she knows she has a blatant flutz, and focused so much in the SP she jumped it correctly, but was able to apply only a little bit of focus and jumped 3Lz(!) in the LP (even though she opens with this Lutz combo), and then all focus evaporated and she returned to her flutz by the second 3Lz in the LP?

BTW, I've seen the silly "Aliona's Flip edge discussions" on twitter (I'm sure it's the same here :rolleye:) - her edge is fine. Where can I read these justifications, lol?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who knows, with the ISU being the ISU, I could see them coming up with some kind of country quota system for the sake of "fairness".

I can’t see a country limitation for the GPF or JGPF? That is a quite different comp than Worlds.

Where I do see an issue with fairness (no need for quotes) is a skater like Lindsay Thorngren. She has gold and bronze and it’s not her fault the field was what it was, so why should she be penalized?

so fairness would be an expanded field for skaters based on medalists and scores(y)