2021 Skate America: Men's Short Program | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Men's Short Program

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Question...was this really the worst men's SP people have ever seen or have I just been densensitised from watching men at Local Russia competitions? 😅

I mean Shun and Kevin were scary to watch, but the other 9 didn't seem that awful... And Vincent and Jimmy did great!
I said probably the worst men grand prix competition i've ever seen. I've watched worse challengers and locals competitions, if that could make it look better :biggrin: And, as i agreed with LadyB, at least it was not boring :dbana:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know Nathan doesn't do Senior B competitions or other events like 4CC partly because of school but he took a leave of absence from school for the Olympics so maybe with that and how little he competed last season he should have done an event before the GP just to get out there again and shake of the rust.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Shoma Uno was looking glorious in terms of his skating . He is just silken smooth . The rare skater who can resurrect a performance even with a mistake . I think Nathan is definitely going to rebound strongly . He didn’t deserve the pcs he was gifted , but he will probably land a zillion quads in the free and get 250 so it doesn’t matter.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Maybe give Shun and Kevin a miss (although Kevin's step sequence was amazing, I don't know how he did it!), Vincent and Jimmy really were amazing though. And Michal was fun :)
I guess I was expecting blood, like at Budapest with that poor guy who busted his jaw. So when I watched his skate, never seeing him before, I was IMPRESSED. I love his skating!!! Okay, the jumps weren't there, but he at least is a talented and strong skater. I could see past the falls to recognize his talent. And as others have said, if you watch Russian men's internal competitions, he didn't do all that bad.... I hope he sticks with it and does the LP. He's a great skater. The program will be excellent with/without jumps. Injuries suck. But they are the reality. You have to go with the flow in this sport.

(I am not "baiting", but merely stating my opinion, thank you very much)

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi, friend,

I watched this on the TV, NBCSN coverage or something like that. Terry Gannon and Johnny Weir.

Anyhow, according to Weir, he spoke to Kevin's coach and Kevin's groin injury had not healed, and he hadn't really returned to good training condition, and he wanted to withdraw. The French federation pressed Kevin to compete to get some competition mileage. The coach was worried that a subpar performance could result in a bad outcome because her skater is an emotional athlete. She agreed that Kevin should withdraw.

For all of Johnny's sometimes over-the-top commentary and presentation, I don't think he'd make up that reporting or exaggerate the conversation he had.
That is ridiculous what the French Federation did! A similar thing happened to Yaroslav Paniot before he switched to the US.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
boys got to be boys *sobs* both my children underperformed to no one surprise and i've seen some bombos (hi @yume
) where i wasn't expecting them and Shoma is in 2nd with an invalidated jump. some random comments:

my little byzantine angel Artur is a D&G fan and a mess, but mama loves him anyway
Sato's fall on the 3A scared the hell out of me
Darth Adam Siao Him Fa is your father
Kevin was heartbreaking :cry:
will my baby boy ever skate i clean short and not break his mama's heart? he starts looking like Amber Glenn, great potential, great tricks but can't deliver in competition:cry: mama loves you no matter what.

Zora

On the Ice
My problems with programs continue. Most of the music choices are very conservative and boring and the same adjectives apply for the choreographies.
Every program was boring. Even of the men, who performed well.

About the mistakes: This is really what men's skating looks like these days. The only exception is usually Nathan Chen and then there's occasionally a good performance by Yuzuru Hanyu or someone else. But almost everyone seems to be okay with it, because quads... :shrug:

SaDa

On the Ice
Nathan's SP score the same as his score at the Olympics. That music is his nemesis.

Honestly, I think much of it was just rust and nerves. He needs to shake that off. People forget that this is the very first time he's performing his programs in front of an audience, never mind in competition. That's not the case at all for most, if not all, of the other men.

In terms of music, the part he had issues with wasn't Nemesis. I actually think that IF there's going to be any change, he should just bring the entire Nemesis program back and ditch "Eternity". I get that maybe what drew him to "Eternity" was its message and how it fits so well into the narrative he's trying to create for what could possibly be his final skating season, but the music is so slow and doesn't really do anything with his skating. That kind of music certainly isn't going to be of any help if one has no energy or focus to begin with. I think that if he's still having issues with it at Skate Canada next weekend, he should maybe think about switching up the music. He already knows Nemesis so he won't be having to learn an entire new program at this stage.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Just a few short comments, watched the skating from ISU YouTube later (did not want to get up so early to watch it live):

Zhou - very enjoyable performance and nearly faultless

Sato - I liked the look of his skating

Aymoz - Felt so sad for him, a pretty awful performance jumpingwise...

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lastly, Twitter sure doesn't let me down at being terrible, I was just there and boy everyone sucks, Vincent, Nathan... even Yuzu copped a serve, and he wasn't even there!

Maybe I should stick to politics on there...it's actually safer :laugh2:
I’ve just been on Twitter and someone was claiming Jimmy did not do “senior quads.” What the freaking freak?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Seeing the results I'm glad I slept through this. Now watched and enjoyed Vincent, Shoma and Jimmy. Tonight is another night?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, I think much of it was just rust and nerves. He needs to shake that off. People forget that this is the very first time he's performing his programs in front of an audience, never mind in competition. That's not the case at all for most, if not all, of the other men.

In terms of music, the part he had issues with wasn't Nemesis. I actually think that IF there's going to be any change, he should just bring the entire Nemesis program back and ditch "Eternity". I get that maybe what drew him to "Eternity" was its message and how it fits so well into the narrative he's trying to create for what could possibly be his final skating season, but the music is so slow and doesn't really do anything with his skating. That kind of music certainly isn't going to be of any help if one has no energy or focus to begin with. I think that if he's still having issues with it at Skate Canada next weekend, he should maybe think about switching up the music. He already knows Nemesis so he won't be having to learn an entire new program at this stage.
You’re taking my post way too seriously!

SaDa

On the Ice
You’re taking my post way too seriously!

My mistake then, and even though I quoted your post, I meant it as a response to everyone in general. It really wasn't solely to you. A lot of people are serious about this, btw. Many are saying that Nemesis shouldn't be used at all, period, because of what happened with 2018.

Last edited: