2021 Skate America: Men's Short Program | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Men's Short Program

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought that was the Canadian/Orser technique? Teach young boys quads so that they almost win Canadian seniors at 13, then lose their big jumps and consistency by 16? It's even more detrimental to young skaters than the Eteri Technique!

Serious question: what young skater other than Gogolev learned quads under Orser? And the stories were legion of Orser limiting his training, not allowing him to train quads all the time, for all I know that's why he left:scratch2: I have yet to see a coach more protective of skater's health than Orser.

A far cry from setting up young teens to compete as "quadding to the death" in practice. ;). But the rest of this should perhaps go to the Coaching Cauldron.

rain

Record Breaker
Question...was this really the worst men's SP people have ever seen or have I just been densensitised from watching men at Local Russia competitions? 😅

I mean Shun and Kevin were scary to watch, but the other 9 didn't seem that awful... And Vincent and Jimmy did great!
I just got a chance to watch the second group, and I think people saying this was a terrible mens short have forgotten the first group lol.

Overall I thought the first group was spectacular, with really only Danielian having a bad program. Sure there were mistakes, but that's to be expected when everyone is trying two quads and a triple axel. I thought the calibre of the first group was surprisingly very good. In fact, I thought the first group was under marked compared to the second, which I thought was generously marked for some of those performances.

I thought the two French skaters should have been pulled from the lineup. I will not be surprised if they don't skate the long. The commentator mentioned that Adam Siao Him Fa had suffered a bad fall in practice while in Vegas, and he could visibly not lift his arm after his skate. He shouldn't have been out there. The commentator said Aymoz was coming back from a bad injury and he was clearly not ready to be on competition ice here. I think that kind of skate does more harm than good.

Shoma Uno was gorgeous, the edges are so good. I can understand why he's still in second, even with the invalidated element. Nathan, on the other hand, was really given some world champion points here to be so far up after two failed jumps. Yikes. On the other hand, I like his new short program. The music is awesome and some of the moves in the footwork are spectacular. Once you see his hunched posture, though, you can't unsee it. He needs a ballet class.

Last edited:

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
My favourite performance of the night was Jimmy Ma's. He had so much energy and a good connection to the audience. I really enjoyed his SP.
Shoma Uno's skate was another highlight for me. Was particulary glad, he didn't fall. His performance was not perfect, as he showed a good (unintended) double flip, but it was clean and smooth, effortless. Music-wise I'm torn wheather I like it or not for him.
Vincent Zhou has grown up. For me he was still a youngster, prone to ur calls. He delivered another skate under the motto "I'm gonna redeem myself". Just one q. I guess he worked even harder than he used to.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I dvr-ed this and watched the short program this morning (unspoiled so I had all the Spanish telenovela gasps too). I didn’t get in my picks in time but it doesn’t matter now because they would ALL be so wrong. I did not see Nathan’s meltdown happening.

But my thoughts anyway.

Congrats to Vincent. He deserved his win tonight, and I hope he medals in the overall.

Aymoz poor guy I don’t know why his federation wants him to be here. I hope, because of his injuries, that he withdraws. The poor guy

Lobed the craziness of the Star Wars program. The step sequence was amazing. And I loved the drawing of the light saber at the end.

Why did Daniel have a nosebleed? Because of the dry air?

I don’t want to jinx anything but…why oh why is Nathan skating to Nemesis for another Olympic program?

I won’t be able to see the long programs tonight, so I can only imagine what’s going to happen the next couple of days. I will be watching unspoiled though, so forgive my late comments,

Bcath

On the Ice
Shoma Uno was looking glorious in terms of his skating . He is just silken smooth . The rare skater who can resurrect a performance even with a mistake . I think Nathan is definitely going to rebound strongly . He didn’t deserve the pcs he was gifted , but he will probably land a zillion quads in the free and get 250 so it doesn’t matter.

Yes. Shoma’s program is masterful.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
boys got to be boys *sobs* both my children underperformed to no one surprise and i've seen some bombos (hi @yume
) where i wasn't expecting them and Shoma is in 2nd with an invalidated jump.
I've seen so many bombos in protocols that i decided to not watch the programs.
I just watched my fiance Jimmy Ma and he was underscored.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’ll fight you to the death for him.

Moonvine, are you really throwing over your former intended Jalen Hurts for Jimmy? You know Jalen is in Vegas this weekend too.;)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
KEVIN. IS. INJURED.

Not only was this obvious, it was a known fact before this event.

There isn't "more to consider" for Shun. It's the same consideration. Worse, for Kevin, in a way, because his injury is in his lower half and will always be impacted by skating, whereas Shun has the possibility of getting away with not injuring himself further.

They should both withdraw.

Take a breather @karne. Maybe you knew that Kevin was injured, or you surmised through your powers of observation. Meanwhile, you don't acknowledge misreading and misrepresenting my initial post about Shun and Kevin. There's no need to be confrontational with me about this. Quite clearly, new information has been elaborated on by @el henry and @TontoK (via the NBC broadcast), regarding Kevin's groin injury.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@BlissfulSynergy I very much appreciate you crediting me with information I provided from watching the NBC broadcast. It's a stand-up move. I also try to credit other members whenever I can.

However, I very respectfully ask that you leave me out of any discussion you have with the individual you've replied to above. On any topic. At any time.

You're a smart person, so you can figure it out. If not, I'm sure you will very soon.

SaDa

On the Ice
Vincent has stolen Nathan's confidence.

Well, it is Vincent's 3rd competition...and he's working with programs he's already comfortable with. It's looking like that was probably a really smart decision on his part. But, yeah, I didn't think his confidence was too surprising. Congrats to him :]