2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Free Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Free Dance

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I do think the lack of height differential—as opposed to lack of height per se—is a challenge for them, though. The look of the team would be just fine if Jean Luc had a very petite partner.
How much more petite do you want the woman? Kaitlin is 5'3" and small, J-L is around 5'6" so they have the acceptable 3 inches or more height difference between them. They are the same height and height difference of Davis/White. Virtue/Moir were a similar height difference 3-4 inches. Didn't stop them with the judges, obviously.

Madi Hubbell is 5'7" and Zach is 6'3" BTW.

This isn't pairs where a foot of height difference between partners is ideal.

Last edited:

jenasher

Spectator
Thank you for all the interesting bkgd on the multi-talented Hilary. :)

@jenasher, I hope that I surmise correctly that you are a family member who took the plunge of joining GS in order to help us get to know her better?
If so, please tell her that Ryan and she have made some new fans, who look forward to seeing more of them.

No doubt that you have been a great source of support (of all kinds) to Hilary for every step of the way throughout her career.
Much respect to you.

I hope that spectators can be allowed at 2022 Nats, and that it will be possible for you (and perhaps some of us GS members too) to attend and watch Hilary and Ryan compete in person. :pray:

Thank you for making sure to keep me in the loop.
Thank you! I am Hilary's mom. We were at dinner last night just looking at google for feedback. This is literally their first competition together and Hilary's first at senior so we aren't used to the attention. Someone on twitter was complaining about their costumes and a friend sent it to me. We were giggling over it and seeing what other comments were out there.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you! I am Hilary's mom. We were at dinner last night just looking at google for feedback. This is literally their first competition together and Hilary's first at senior so we aren't used to the attention. Someone on twitter was complaining about their costumes and a friend sent it to me. We were giggling over it and seeing what other comments were out there.
Welcome to Golden Skate. I hope you pop in and post again. I really enjoyed Hilary and Ryan 's skate.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They were lovely. What sort of stuffies do they like? (I am the stuffie and Thank You note person. If you are ever at a comp and see a 50ish lady dragging a giant trash bag of stuffies that is probably me.)
Please be careful of what sort of feedback you take from the Internet. People can be very unkind.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How much more petite do you want the woman? Kaitlin is 5'3" and small, J-L is around 5'6" so they have the acceptable 3 inches or more height difference between them. They are the same height and height difference of Davis/White. Virtue/Moir were a similar height difference 3-4 inches. Didn't stop them with the judges, obviously.

I was googling her the other day looking for her dad jokes. (She tells the best dad jokes “Hey Jean Luc, hey Jean Luc, hey Jean Luc”) and one of the suggested Google completions was “Kaitlyn Hawayek weight loss.” Which means people have been looking for it. I’m sure you can imagine this made me take off into orbit. Please don’t starve yourself Kaitlyn. We don’t need another Gracie situation.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was googling her the other day looking for her dad jokes. (She tells the best dad jokes “Hey Jean Luc, hey Jean Luc, hey Jean Luc”) and one of the suggested Google completions was “Kaitlyn Hawayek weight loss.” Which means people have been looking for it. I’m sure you can imagine this made me take off into orbit. Please don’t starve yourself Kaitlyn. We don’t need another Gracie situation.
Exactly, it disgusts me when some suggest they lose weight and need to be "more petite." These skaters are small to begin with, what you see on TV is not what they look like in person.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welcome!

I enjoyed Hillary & Ryan and want to send congratulations for skating at Nationals. Best of luck in the future - I will keep my eye on this couple.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Thank you so much for posting the relative height differences. It annoys me to no end when people pick on skaters or teams for their physiques. I have been a fan of Kaitlin & Jean-Luc for years now and think they are both smart, creative and attractive people who remain among my favorite US dancers. I hope they ignore the detractors and just do their own thing and of course make the Olympics!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I returned to this thread this morning and have to say, I do so agree with you and Ic3Rabbit on this, and I’ve never understood it either.
I’ve started thinking this morning about what US Dance might look like after Beijing, when I would expect both HD and CB to retire. I’m guessing HB would continue at least for a season, maybe the whole quad; but I think the immediate future will be Carreira/Ponomarenko—who I would expect to be USFS’ new favorites, given the irresistible backstory—and Green/Parsons, who looked REALLY sharp last night.
What say you, friends?
I thought the same trio would be dominant. I really hope H & B can round out their career with a trip to the Olympics and a national title.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for posting the relative height differences. It annoys me to no end when people pick on skaters or teams for their physiques. I have been a fan of Kaitlin & Jean-Luc for years now and think they are both smart, creative and attractive people who remain among my favorite US dancers. I hope they ignore the detractors and just do their own thing and of course make the Olympics!
You're welcome, as a former competitor, I pride myself on "always keeping it real." Many detractors don't like it, but I'm here to support my fellow skaters. Go H/B!:hap10:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
rewatch

jenasher

Spectator
They were lovely. What sort of stuffies do they like? (I am the stuffie and Thank You note person. If you are ever at a comp and see a 50ish lady dragging a giant trash bag of stuffies that is probably me.)
Please be careful of what sort of feedback you take from the Internet. People can be very unkind.
Aww, thank you. Ryan loves pink. Hil says she likes pandas or bears in general. We don't take stuff too seriously. More flattered that they were noticed.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly, it disgusts me when some suggest they lose weight and need to be "more petite." These skaters are small to begin with, what you see on TV is not what they look like in person.
And she’s clearly strong (she can lift Jean Luc). If she starts starving herself she won’t be strong. Her strength is one of the best aspects of her skating to me. “So you think I am too tall? I’ll just lift Jean Luc then.” And it will negatively affect her skating. Just like Gracie. The US has an obesity problem. I have an obesity problem. Figure skaters don’t have an obesity problem and in my opinion commenting on their bodies is entirely out of order. I did comment that it looked like Gracie was getting too thin and that was probably out of order.