2021 Worlds: Men's SP "Thoughts and Observations" | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's SP "Thoughts and Observations"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Wow! So thrilled for Keegan Messing who had a brilliant skate. Kagiyama is going to be a force to reckon with in the coming years - watch out! Hanyu did not disappoint and yes, Chen is human :biggrin:

Zhou didn't even qualify :eek:
USA's Vincent Zhou, who underrotated all jumps and fell twice, failed to qualify for the Free Skate (70.51). The 2019 World bronze medalist said he had a good six-minute warmup in which he landed a quad Lutz-triple toe and felt strong, grounded and "in the zone."

"When the music starts, sometimes things just don't happen the way you want them to," said Zhou. "You can train and prepare as much as you want, physically and mentally. Sometimes it's just not your day. Today is probably the worst day for that to happen, but life throws curveballs at you sometimes, so I'm just going to use today to grow from it and come out stronger next time."

Jason. Brown. Just. Mesmerizing.

What are your thoughts on the Men's SP?

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Interesting to see how Kolyada's score actually held up to put him into the final group. A lot of skaters stacked behind him in that two-point bubble.

The podium is a little bit harder to reach for anyone out of the top 3, I'd say. But this is men.:coffee:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
With Kagiyama i made a comment a year ago in the Russian Men Skating thread about his quality (in comparison with the russians) and the nitpicky judging in juniors not properly rewarding what he does best (flow, skating skills, speed and knee work) and that eventually he would have seen the big payoff in seniors.

I feel like today we've seen all of that materialize, his jumps have that extra something special with the height and distance and how he showcase the landings, they look effortless and that alone makes such a big difference when comparing such elements with the rest, and most importantly he was absolutely clean while others were not.

Hanyu - very smart to not risk the 4t-3t in the second half, going for the clean skate, that's experience and that it will definitely help him going into the free.

Although i've to say i'm very surprised by Nathan's score and how big it is, it's almost like Judges want to make sure he'll get a medal unless he screws up badly and potentially still in contention for more than just bronze. That opening big fall on the 4ltz was definitely there and should have impacted the artistry, one of the spins was only level 2, and the 4f-3t in the 2nd half while very impressive it wasn't a great execution.

But even beyond the mistakes, he's a very good skater but he's not that excellent. The fact that his components are higher than Jason, and a good 2 points higher than Mikhail is kind of ridiculous to be honest.

Jason was once again fab, to me he should get the best PCS, but the lack of quads will always limit his potential for a medal. The 3a also got a q.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
With Kagiyama i made a comment a year ago in the Russian Men Skating thread about (in comparison to the russians in juniors at the time) his quality and about the fact that in juniors they can nitpick on so many little things but in seniors we would have seen the big payoff for the difference in flow, skating skills, speed and knee work.

I feel like today we've seen all of that materialize, his jumps have that extra something special with the height and distance and how he showcase the landings, they look effortless and most importantly he was absolutely clean while others were not.

Hanyu - very smart to not risk the 4t-3t in the second half, going for the clean skate, that will definitely help him going into the free.

Although i've to say i'm very surprised by Nathan's score and how big it is, it's almost like Judges want to make sure he'll get a medal unless he screws up badly and potentially still in contention for more than just bronze. That opening big fall on the 4ltz was definitely there and should have impacted the artistry, one of the spins was only level 2, and the 4f-3t in the 2nd half while very impressive it wasn't a great execution.

But even beyond the mistakes, he's a very good skater but he's not that excellent. The fact that his components are higher than Jason, and a good 2 points higher than Mikhail is kind of ridiculous to be honest.
It's the World Champion bonus. Once you're World Champion you're always regarded as higher tier. Just compare that to Yuma who is a virtual nobody and newbie. Two points apart? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, Yuma's score is alright. Nathan...I don't know. I still think he will win this, but I have a feeling the judges made sure he will with that SP score.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I really enjoyed that.

Some highlights:

1. Donovan making it to the free! Yes, sorry not sorry but I had to mention that first. I‘m just this happy about it. :laugh:

2. JASON. No words. Just perfection. :bow:

3. Yuzu. Same thing here. Normally that program wouldn‘t be my favorite but in times where there‘s bad news everywhere it‘s just so refreshing. That 3A right on the music? Out of this world.

4. Misha. :love: Those three really are the trinity of artistry for me. His FS is better than the SP but it was still great to see him (almost) completely clean.

5. Keegan, Jun and Deniss also had amazing performances.

6. Nathan‘s step sequence. I didn‘t like this program before and I‘m still lukewarm towards it but that was great. So much energy, seens like the mistake on the lutz only fired him up.

7. Another step sequence: Shoma‘s. Man, possibly one of the best of the entire event.

8. Not a fan of Yuma but what a debut! Handled the pressure really well.

Some critical stuff:

1. Obviously, the obligatory Nathan Chen PCS complaint. Let‘s just say: Higher PCS than Jason Brown. In which universe? Sadly, in this one but fair it is not. There‘s tons of skaters even outside the top 4 which should be ahead of him in that area today but because of his reputation and ISU‘s tendency to give high PCS to high TES, it will never happen. And today the TES wasn‘t even there! Fall on the 4Lz (which looked UR), messy spins, rough landing on the combo with no flow. I know how talented he is but come on, why do they have to keep rewarding things that just weren‘t there?!

2. Shoma‘s “quad“ flip. Sorry, but that thing‘s not a quad nor does it deserve the GOE it gets. Combined with the fall, he should have been behind Jun.

Also felt sorry for Zhou. Not his fan but that must have been very tough to take. He‘ll come back.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
The GBR judge is verrryyyy harsh 😂 Based on the way that judge scored, it doesn’t seem that they enjoyed anything today haha.

Also, many men were underscored in PCS and some were overscored, which is usual for this sport but some were very questionable. Like Nathan having the second highest SS, Jason not getting 48+ (49 imo), Yuzu not getting 48+, Han Yan having lower PCS than Vincent and Boyang, Shoma only getting a 9 in SS, the list goes on and on lol.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's the World Champion bonus. Once you're World Champion you're always regarded as higher tier. Just compare that to Yuma who is a virtual nobody and newbie. Two points apart? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, Yuma's score is alright. Nathan...I don't know. I still think he will win this, but I have a feeling the judges made sure he will with that SP score.
To make a comparison, Nathan's score is about the same as what Hanyu at the last Grand Prix Final with a fall, and about four points higher than what Hanyu got in the short program at the last Worlds with a completely invalidated jump.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
For me the event was overshadowed by Zhou’s melt-down, but luckily, no injuries!!!

the skaters who scored higher on my personal scale than the pros judged them: Cha(!!!), Messing, Milyukov
The skaters who scored lower on my personal scale than the pros judged them: Brown, Chen, Kolyada, Brezhina

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
To make a comparison, Nathan's score is about the same as what Hanyu at the last Grand Prix Final with a fall, and about four points higher than what Hanyu got in the short program at the last Worlds with a completely invalidated jump.
This is a different competition. The score of a clean Yuzuru SP wouldn't have been 106 at those competitions either, I guess.

readernick

Medalist
Shocking that Nathan fell, I guess he is human? I was a bit uncertain before this event ;) I know a lot of people don't like him but he really is a great skater..

Love Yuzuru, but I just don't like this program. That being said he got the highest PCS and deserved the second highest because...

Jason was the best artistically!! Are the judges blind? Everything is perfect!! He is transcendent where is his perfect PCS?

Yuma was perfect technically. The SS are just lovely .. I loved Yuma as a junior but this year his skating feels cold to me... He is jumps were the best here though....

Shoma is my favorite. But why why did he fall on his axel? It's his best jump and the 2t... Shoma!!! Child you disappointed me a bit. If you weren't so cute / weren't so special I would be mad!

The handsome Han Yan was great. Some technical issues but the flow......

Speaking of flow ... Kolyada...I don't like the program but SS and quality.. He has them in spades...

Sad for Vincent. Rough, just really rough and Boyang ...I don't know what to say.... Other than better luck in the FS

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So thrilled that Deniss and Kevin had clean skates. But I think they were both should have been higher by a couple of points.
So happy for Keegan.
And Jason was sublime.
Yuma has put his hat in the rink for a possible Medal here and at the Olympics.

And it's great that Ivan made the free, he is so musical.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I will catch up on watching later, but glad to see Donovan Carrillo, Big Brother Selevko and Ivan Shmuratko make the cut for the free; Uncles Brezina and Bychenko putting up a good fight; and Kolyada, Semenenko and Messing in good position to add spots for their countries :)

The point spread is narrow at the top, lots of room for movement on Saturday.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I'm so happy Yuma got the silver small medal. 🥰 Jason was the one person whose scores confused me. Give him the 48 PCS. He deserves it. I'm glad that all of the URs were called, and for the most part I think the judging was pretty good compared to the ladies.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Would Nathan winning guarantee the US three spots for the Olympics or does Jason need to be top 12 even in that scenario?

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Would Nathan winning guarantee the US three spots for the Olympics or does Jason need to be top 12 even in that scenario?
No. Nathan and Jason would need to both place so that their places equal 13 or less. The 1/2 gets three spots only applies to federations with one entry. Because Vincent did not make the free skate, the US can only get two spots here, so Vincent will need to go to the Nebelhorn Trophy to secure the third spot.

mrrice

Record Breaker
No. Nathan and Jason would need to both place so that their places equal 13 or less. The 1/2 gets three spots only applies to federations with one entry. Because Vincent did not make the free skate, the US can only get two spots here, so Vincent will need to go to the Nebelhorn Trophy to secure the third spot.
When is the Nebelhorn Trophy event? Vincent was pretty good at Nationals and this skate was nothing short of shocking. If he wants to go the Olympics, he really needs to do well there. Will he need to medal to qualify or is it based on a certain score.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It was a good event. I was the happiest to see Keegan clean skate and make the final flight. Now he just needs to hang in there and place in the top 10. This event was scored fairly. I just found it strange to watch the Italians and Morris in the final flight.....it felt like I was watching a third last flight instead at times. Yuzuru and Nathan and Yuma deserve it. I’m so happy to see Yuma up there in the standings. We need someone to mix it up and he is it and has a good future ahead.