2021 Worlds: Men's SP "Thoughts and Observations" | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's SP "Thoughts and Observations"

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
And last but not least, Aleksandr Selevko - I love that hiphop program to death, the first time when the style is actually used through the entire program and not just as a meaningless prop for 10 seconds. And he is soooo good with it. The jumps made me wanna cry out of despair though, because he is not that bad at all. I am greatful to Zhou for failing to qualify bcs this allowed Selevko to get to the FS.
Agreed!! Selevko's musicality is beautiful. And that triple axel was beautiful too. I'm actually amazed at the progress in his jumps over the past two seasons. He had such a terrible leg wrap circa 2018, I thought he'd never get a 3A. Guess the improvement is still relatively recent so he hasn't made it a habit yet.

Turns out the choreographer for this programme is Denis Lunin, the guy who often choreographs for Andrei Mozalev. Good match.
Side note, I just tried to find Selevko's fanfest and it looks like he doesn't have any yet?? I'm too lazy to make one though...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How is he underscored? He has near-perfect PCS (within 2.04 points). He gets big GOE on all of his elements. He is just 4 points off of his world record SP score.
Haven't you heard? Hanyu is underscored unless every single judge gives him +5 GOE on every single element, he is given level 4 on every single element, and every single judge gives him 10 for every single category. :rolleye:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did watch the whole thing but was distracted by trying to catch at least a bit of Javier FernƔndez in his new job as a commentator.
Ooo yes I heard he was making his debut. Did you catch what he said about Donovan? Javi is his inspiration! :) If so I wonder if someone will send Donovan a link. It'd be so cool for him :)

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ooo yes I heard he was making his debut. Did you catch what he said about Donovan? Javi is his inspiration! :) If so I wonder if someone will send Donovan a link. It'd be so cool for him :)
Missed Donovan live, but it was posted on YT - here (very positive stuff as Donovan skated well, also lots about the difficulty of coming from a non-skating country and having to build reputation etc).

Overall of the ones I managed to hear properly, he seemed to be most excited about Kagiyama, but he did not comment on the last groups at all (the Spanish broadcast went on to do other sports, so no need for a star commentator).

He did the pairs short which I did not manage to catch, but Hielo Espanol commented on it very positively - though I would have not anything else for the big star of Spanish figure skating even if he had been babbling incomprehensibly. However, as I said, he is good with interviews, even in English which always amazes me because he has very little formal training in it. As a non-native English speaker and writer, I appreciate that a lot.

E

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
he seemed to be most excited about Kagiyama,
Yuma is cool :) I like him a lot and am looking forward to seeing him develop!
As a non-native English speaker and writer, I appreciate that a lot.
It's always impressive when people are so fluent in a second language. I don't know why other languages so I'm like wow! If I tried to write in Spanish... yikes! :laugh:
Missed Donovan live, but it was posted on YT - here
Thank you for the link! I do hope Donovan sees it.

Watching it again really made me smile!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Quick question... if one of the 24 qualifiers had to withdraw before the free skate, would Vincent be moved up to take their place or does that spot remain empty? I believe itā€™s the latter but someone asked me that question today and I wasnā€™t sure so I thought this would be the best place to ask.
The latter. That happened at 2018 Worlds in the ladies with Choi Da-bin.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Nathan Chen did the honorable thing by deciding to fall. He looked at Hanyu in practice and knew it would be an injustice to be placed ahead of that. He had to take matters into his own hands, knowing the judges would not. A true champion.

Kagiyama was very impressive too, lots of energy in his program, he keeps getting better as a performer and those jumps are strong and reliable. His camel-change-camel was great too, underscored on that element.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Nikolaj Majorov can sell a program for sure, but he should maybe learn to keep his mouth shut - it took away quite a lot from his credibility.
Thanks for the detailed write-up; I really appreciated your thoughts. But what do you mean by this? Did he give a controversial interview after the SP or something? I wonder if I missed some Swedish skating drama...

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Thanks for the detailed write-up; I really appreciated your thoughts. But what do you mean by this? Did he give a controversial interview after the SP or something? I wonder if I missed some Swedish skating drama...
Thanks for the appreciation! Nikolaj kept his mouth open when he skated, nothing more than that. I was wondering if he was singing the lyrics to the song, but it did not look like it in the end. Somewhat overdramatic in the facial expressions department. Unfortunately no juicy gossip from the Swedish scene in this instance....

E

Tutto

Record Breaker
While re-watching the highlights on Eurosport it struck me that out of first 7 finishers - the final flight for LP + Jason,
Nathan's SS are the least impressive, Nathan fans please forgive me for saying this

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think this is a terrible idea, sorry. I disagree that USFS should send Vincent as some sort of test when precious Olympic spots are on the line. They should send whoever is skating the best at that time. If that is Vincent fine. If not send whoever it may be.
IMO a Clean Vincent is still our best bet to fill that 3rd spot. The US can send 3 skaters to Nebelhorn and they should fight it out there.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks for the appreciation! Nikolaj kept his mouth open when he skated, nothing more than that. I was wondering if he was singing the lyrics to the song, but it did not look like it in the end. Somewhat overdramatic in the facial expressions department. Unfortunately no juicy gossip from the Swedish scene in this instance....

E
LOL

I didn't even notice his open mouth. Now in the free though.... :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Selevko's musicality is beautiful. And that triple axel was beautiful too. ...

I love watching Selevko. šŸ„°
Good luck to him in the FS! (And to everyone.)

At the same time, I truly am heartbroken for Vincent. šŸ˜­
I will miss him in the FS.

... The US can send 3 skaters to Nebelhorn and they should fight it out there.

Impossible, per OWG qualifying rules.

The U.S. will be allowed to send only one man to 2021 Nebelhorn.