2022-23 GPF Senior Rhythm Dance

rain

Record Breaker

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Contemplate that the American judge put Piper and Paul dead last in tech. Nope. Not political at all.
where are you seeing this? I see them in third in SS.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Look up the page, under the tech score, not the components score.
I see, did you prefer the 4th score from the FIN judge that was worth less points in the same category?
That judge didn't like either C/B or G/P much, preferring FB/S.

My point - it seems there will always be biases, that's why we have several judges.

The top three couples are all very close and the FD will decide things. They are all excellent and I will be happy no matter how it turns out.

Last edited:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was so pleased to see Chock and Bates finally do a good performance of their rhythm dance! Scores among the top four are tight and I think anything can happen in the final standings.

I've been enjoying Ben Agosto's take on the ice dancing all grand prix long. I always enjoyed his tv commentary, used to always feel like I was getting good ice dance education. Here's his twitter if others are interested: https://twitter.com/Ben_Agosto

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
I thought Hawayek looked unimpressed with their score in the kiss and cry. She doesn't have a good poker face, lol. I really enjoyed it, so kinda agreed with her.

Fear/Gibson also looked unimpressed with their score.

Chock/Bates: I just can't get over my dislike of the musical selection. It's not that I dislike all of the non-traditional music choices — I love Piper and Paul's, for example — but just not this. The choreography is an unmemorable mishmash. I thought it was better skated than earlier in the season and Madison always is one of the best-dressed. I loved their RD last season. I don't love this. One of my least favourite of the season. Sorry.

I much preferred Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen's RD. The choreography is better and the presentation is also better. And I say that as not a fan of Gloria Estefan either.

Guinard/Fabri pushed hard through that performance, but it feels like that, a push. Not my cup of tea. I'll leave it at that.

Piper and Paul: I genuinely believe this program is in a league all its own this season. It was not scored like it here, and I have a lot of feelings about that, since I thought they delivered it with their usual aplomb. Amazing.

But my biggest complaint: the terrible camera work. Can we get someone who knows how to film figure skating, stat? The close ups of nothing, then the distance shots where you can hardly see the skaters. then the camera losing the skaters on the ice. It was terrible!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why are there no samba rolls? I was told there would be samba rolls.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've really fallen in love with ice dance this season. Out of all the disciplines, they often seem to have the most fun when skating. It's very charming to watch!
Just don’t fall in love with any of the skaters or you may run the danger of needing bail money when the judges lowball your babies.

readernick

Medalist
I was so pleased to see Chock and Bates finally do a good performance of their rhythm dance! Scores among the top four are tight and I think anything can happen in the final standings.

I've been enjoying Ben Agosto's take on the ice dancing all grand prix long. I always enjoyed his tv commentary, used to always feel like I was getting good ice dance education. Here's his twitter if others are interested: https://twitter.com/Ben_Agosto
Yes, Ben is 👍. I love his commentary,too! Positive but honest and able to see cheated turns in real time which is pretty impressive. You have to be detail-oriented to be a successful ice dancer.

About the actual performances and outside of program preferences,

Chock and Bates were noticeably improved here. Everyone else has performed their RD better at other competitions this season but C/B were so much more trained. The whole dance just seemed effortless. I think their SB was deserved. I probably would have had them first.

G/F are my personal favorites but they seemed a bit tight here. I enjoyed their RD much better at their last GP.

I thought Piper/ Paul were also tight and they didn’t have the best execution. They got low levels but the judges gave them high GOE. Levels in ice dance should matter more and we need the pattern dance to return. Still, they are good performers and it was enjoyable.

FB/S and F/G are challenging teams for me. FB is honestly the most talented, skilled women (tied with Guinard) and dancer at this competition but Sorensen is so much weaker. She literally spends the whole program performing and dancing around him. She’s amazing but they aren’t a balanced team.

Fear/ Gibson are really noticeably slow and his edges are so much better than hers. They cheat a lot of turns and he does the footwork, skating while she just gets lifted. Still, I have noticed an improvement this year in both SS and performance. So, I don’t want to be too harsh.

I would have had H/B in fourth place. But, I think they were also noticeably less animated here. She is injured and I think they were cautious. Still, they are both good skaters and contribute equally to the performance.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
WOW!!! Just watched RD, and I'm totally over the moon with Piper & Paul's performance and score!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
What a thing of beauty, and Paul! :love2:

A bit sad for F/G, there are so vibrant and thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Tonight's another game.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Just don’t fall in love with any of the skaters or you may run the danger of needing bail money when the judges lowball your babies.
Haha, don't worry, after the heartbreaks I went through with the skaters I love most, a bit of lowballing cannot faze me anymore...

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For those of you not on twitter here are comments from Ben Agosto to give us an expert analysis
I post this since dance judging is an area that is hard for us non-experts to understand.

Rhythm Dance
HAWAYEK/BAKER - USA Saw a scretch on the exit of an outside rocker in the MiSt K little shaky on first Tw, free leg looked lower than the req 45deg. Great energy in the ChSt. So many details designed to make everyone want to jump up and join them.

FEAR/GIBSON - GBR Excellent Tw, love the shoot the duck-tw in the midline. Maybe edge change on bracket? Clever dipped outside mohawk in PSt... should it receive credit? Fabulous ChSt. JLo is perfect They really know how to BRING IT!

CHOCK/BATES-USA WOW! Excellent performance. Huge improvement in cleanliness of turns in both step seq. Extra rev from M in first Tw, small impact on GOE. Wonderful calm quality to their skating while still bringing the rhythm of the latin dances.

FOURNIER BEAUDRY/SORENSEN-CAN Some edge changes in MiSt and PSt. Could see the end of the rocker exit edge in replay. Beautiful StaLi. Great ending, but less energy than others. Probably the best partnering connection between them of the field.

GUINARD/FABRI-ITA I think this couple is incredible and have been really impressed this season. I thought both had a check on last rev of 1st Tw and saw some scratch and maaaaybe an edge change in the PSt. Such a well matched team!

GILLES/POIRIER-CAN Piper Fierce!! Incredible performance. Excellent Tw, but some struggles in the steps seqs. This is a fabulous vehicle for Piper, but I don't feel the same connection between them as there needs to be. What an event!!

Last edited: