2022-23 GPF Senior Free Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2022-23 GPF Senior Free Dance

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Piper and Pau! They were magnificent and I love this program for them and this is coming from a CB fan. For me Maddie and Evan‘s programs this season are not my favorites that said, their skills and technical levels are first rate and I still think they will fight for the top spot at worlds. Marco and Charlene looked a little tight but overall well deserved Bronze. Shout out to H/B whose FD was skated beautifully!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Infuriated I won't be able to see these programs, especially since NBC barely covers anything that doesn't involve american skaters.
You're right that NBC TV's coverage isn't the best and that they sometimes exclude the non-American skaters, however sometimes they show the programs of other skaters. (Eg. a couple of weeks ago NBC TV broadcast Piper & Paul's winning FD from GP Finland).

At least NBC TV is broadcasting the GP season. Here in Canada, CBC TV doesn't bother to show any of the GP anymore except Skate Canada. CBC TV should show more skating, particularly since several Canadian teams medalled on the this GP season.

rain

Record Breaker
You're right that NBC TV's coverage isn't the best and that they sometimes exclude the non-American skaters, however sometimes they show the programs of other skaters. (Eg. a couple of weeks ago NBC TV broadcast Piper & Paul's winning FD from GP Finland).

At least NBC TV is broadcasting the GP season. Here in Canada, CBC TV doesn't bother to show any of the GP anymore except Skate Canada. CBC TV should show more skating, particularly since several Canadian teams medalled on the this GP season.
CBC has live-streamed every single GP this season, and has all of the competitions in full available to watch on their website. TV coverage — you're correct. But I'm thrilled that they are providing livestreams, which I have to admit is much more convenient for me, as I often have to watch after the fact, and this way I can do it on my own timeline.

warhorse enjoyer

Spectator
Even though I am still thoroughly unmoved by the music and concept behind C/B's FD, I must say that its transitional content comes off as far more complex and exciting than any of their previous programs. And based on the (bootleg) recordings of the event that I saw, they seemed to clearly be the fastest team there. I personally fail to see why G/P's program warrants 57+ in PCS and wins over C/B in presentation and composition.

That isn't to say that I think that G/P's win was underserved; I think that they did what they needed to do technically. (Albeit, still with a bit of generosity from the judges... like four judges giving +4 or +5 GOE to a lift with an obvious balance check.) I just haven't enjoyed any of their programs as much as I enjoyed their James Bond FD from Pyeongchang.

I will echo others who are generally disappointed in the program quality among the top dance teams this year. H/B's FD is probably the only program among the twelve that we saw at this event that really stuns me, and even that program is just a clear derivative of their (fantastic) previous FD.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For those of you not on twitter here are comments from Ben Agosto & Jackie Wong to give us an expert analysis. I post this since dance judging is an area that is hard for us non-experts to understand.

FREE DANCE

HAWAYEK/BAKER USA
Hawayek/Baker's FD has been phenomenal from the beginning of the season and continues to improve; saw a couple of shallow turns in their stepseq, maybe a shallow FO rocker (will need to go back) on her one-foot - a couple levels kept them from 200+ here (JW)

Stunningly beautiful. Etherial, musical, not a moment out of place. Wonderful edge quality. Lovely spread eagle entrance into perfect Tw. This program was stunning at SkAm and it has only gotten better. 118.56, 198.06 Too Low (BA)

FEAR/GIBSON GBR
Love how Fear/Gibson's combo lift at the start gains speed toward the end of the rotational; really using that ankle power to get the right effect out of it. Fear/Gibson's FD here didn't quite have the same energy as it felt like it had earlier in the season; end of their stepseq lost a bit of steam and depth; lifts were fabulous - I would've had components switched between F/G and H/B, F/G wasn't as present tonight (JW)

Great energy and AMAZING elements. Love their ability to connect with the audience and bring Lady Gaga to the arena. The skating quality just doesn't quite compare with the rest of this field, but they are so fun to watch. (BA)

FOURNIER-BEAUDRY/SOERENSEN CAN
The fall on the curve lift for FB/S is almost certainly going to be a completely 0 on the element (and a -1.00 for the fall); Sorensen caught an edge on one of the rotations and did a lot to save that from being a really scary fall - surprised it's a -2 for the lift fall given that I remember it being only FB who fell, or maybe there was an extended lift (JW)

Shocking to see a fall in the curve lift. This couple can always be counted on to have the most incredible/solid lifts. His weight just got a tiny bit back as he started the rotation at the end of her "scarf" entrance. Beautiful program. LFB is a real star on the ice. Shame to see such a costly error. But it happens to the best. (BA)

GUIGNARD/FABBRI ITA
Fabbri really worked to hold on to both his 1st and 3rd twizzles in the sequence, I wonder if they will review it, it looked like the first one might have changed edges. Guignard/Fabbri really put out the energy there on every single element, Guignard maybe a bit unsteady on her side of the stepseq and Fabbri muscled out his twizzles (called live as lvl4)- TES did go down 2pts, will see what they leveled down in the protocols (I'm guessing twizzles)

Big fan of this couple, but not their best skate. They look slow and nervous in front of the home crowd. Incredible strength and innovation in the SlLi. Little balance check from C in Tw seq as well as Tw in 1ft. (BA)

CHOCK/BATES USA
Chock/Bates got off to a slow start at Skate America but has gotten stronger and stronger with each event; twizzles were a fight but should get full lvl credit, one-foot may have been a bit slower than I've seen but again got it done. TES went down 2pts, so we'll see where the lvls came down, could've been in the one-foot (JW)

YES YES! Loving the evolution of this work of art. Haunting, emotional, absolutely stunning positions from M and superb execution of all their elements. Such control from E in the lunge lift while M fan kicks over his head. Absolutely brilliant. (BA)

GILLES/POIRIER CAN
Tight twizzle sequence from Gilles, couldn't particularly see it from the camera angle but it looked like the 3rd might have been a switch of edge at the end (JW)

Another great skate for G/P. Some issues with turns in steps, but the musicality of this program... the highlights, just never seem to hit. Not the best free dance in the event for me. Really happy for Piper and Paul, huge congratulations to them! I don't agree with the scores, but I am thrilled for them. (BA)

GENERAL COMMENT:
One-foots having some very barely-noticeable things going on with almost all the teams, but the levels notice (JW) Ok, please no more close up camera angles! (BA)

rain

Record Breaker
The fact that Agosto gushed uncontrollably over the two American teams and was entirely tepid on everyone else tells you exactly where his bread is buttered and what you can expect from his commentary.

Calling Chock and Bates's program literally "a work of art", then claiming that none of the highlights of Gilles/Poirier's program "hit" is just kind of awe-inspiring in its unvarnished bias. (As an aside, I do think there are fair criticisms to be made about Gilles/Poirier's program, though it is the best of the season, but their highlights not hitting is not one of them, not if you're really being honest about it. I also think that there is some good stuff in Chock/Bates's program. But "work of art" is, uh, pretty generous, let's say.)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I missed this event due to a holiday party out of town, but was excited to see the ISU highlight video for day 3, which features our own Lady of the Flower Crowns and quite a few of her beautiful creations.

NoNameFace, amazing work as always!
Oh jeeeez...
Actually, there's plenty of flower crowns-related stories from there. And I was there only for ONE DAY.
First of all - I was running totally behind entering Saturday. Overslept by an hour. Was super nervous if I manage metro/getting to Palavela. Only 2 out of 14 crowns planned were ready (Italiano ones for G/F) and I had to still do full two from scratch. I wanted to cry.
Found metro, bought ticket. Left on the stop, found Palavela. Entered after some confusion from security. Two bags of crafty stuff in my hands plus my personal bag and a small crossbody with wallet, pen, tags for crowns, gum and sharpie (I was READY for anything).
Found wonderful crew I met last year in Grenoble. And went to WORK (with brief breaks to approach few skaters after practices to ask for signing my flags: Hannah Lim and Ye Quan, Yelim Kim, Nadiia and Peter, Charlene and Marco). So, I'm crafting my behind off while sitting. It starts to attract folks, also those close to the ice - come Junior ID practices, I got already welcomed by Coach Carol and received a wave from Coach Nick Buckland plus Nadiia also recognised me.
Back to crafting - fortunately, by the end of all practices, I had all crowns finished apart of those 2 to be made from scratch (and meanwhile managed to do a quick chat with P², Paul - bless him - recognised me instantly and started to call me by name, to public's curiosity (I'm as far from celebrity type as you can get and that curiosity felt weird, again Coach Carol welcomed me with 'it's good to see you again, darling!', cue my insides crying already, eyes and brain too slow to register upon lack of sleep though).
So. I started to craft flowers from Mrazek's crowns during Men's Free, finished before Shoma. The Jr Pairs FS came and I had crown for Haruna and Sumitada. Approached someone standing down from their team asking, if they could handle it to them. They got it. Haruna wears it in KnC. Crying inside. Then I get out paper for the last crown, for Yelim, to craft flowers and I'm starting to feel like someone is watching me. Sure I am right as I see some guy, probably from media staff (not sure whether ISU or else), who has camera lense pointed right at my potato hands, cut by wire and cracked by cold, swirling crepe paper and florist tape around piece of wire. Starting to laugh silently. The guy makes an eye contact and smirks. My camera-phobic behind gets annoyed.
Crown for Yelim finished, can focus on delivering stuff to ice dance teams. Sure enough, when I ask Valentina Marchei to handle crown to Mrazeks, the guy is there ofc (lol). The same happens with every crown and you can see the whole moment of handing them to Nadiia and Peter made into backstage video of ISU. The level of my annoyance skyrocket, but what can I do?
Next, after jr Ice Dance, Italians approach me, asking if they can make themselves photos wearing crowns. They they start speaking, I'm not understanding, a volunteer approaches and tells me they want to buy crowns. Cue me o_O. I refuse politely, thinking it's just a paper on wire and surely there are lots of better-made devices like that available.
Senior ID comes. My insides are a mess from stress. Managed to deliver Italia crowns, the guy ofc following the action. To my delight, Charlene and Marco are putting crowns on their beautiful heads. I'm getting teary (their screenshot of kiss in the crowns is one of my faves).
P² make me cry, my hands are shaking while filming Evita. They are getting crowns, Coach Carol sends me a kiss, second one already (first was after Nadiia and Peter's coronation). P² win, I start crying. Friend approaches to console me. I'm a mess.
Ladies Free comes. Yelim goes first. I'm approaching with crown, she smiles briefly while taking it plus wears it in KnC to my utter happiness. Guy films everything.
After the Free, a scheme starts to handle crowns to all medalists. Courtesy of volunteer, I'm calling Valentina Marchei again (who probably hates me at this point) and ask her to distribute crowns. She does it, however - still not sure, if Mai got her pink crown...I hope she did because it won't let me be in peace if she didn't.
It was an eventful day, to say the least...

ETA - MAI GOT THE CROWN!!!
Now I can cure my sore throat in peace (given to me probably by a person sitting row before me, coughing their lungs out every 30 seconds...)

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The fact that Agosto gushed uncontrollably over the two American teams and was entirely tepid on everyone else tells you exactly where his bread is buttered and what you can expect from his commentary.

Calling Chock and Bates's program literally "a work of art", then claiming that none of the highlights of Gilles/Poirier's program "hit" is just kind of awe-inspiring in its unvarnished bias. (As an aside, I do think there are fair criticisms to be made about Gilles/Poirier's program, though it is the best of the season, but their highlights not hitting is not one of them, not if you're really being honest about it. I also think that there is some good stuff in Chock/Bates's program. But "work of art" is, uh, pretty generous, let's say.)
I wished I had commentators from other countries such as Kaitlyn Weaver or Sinead Kerr for example for balance.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
I wished I had commentators from other countries such as Kaitlyn Weaver or Sinead Kerr for example for balance.
Don't get me wrong, I found your post very interesting, and I'm curious as to what various commentators are saying. But it just looks to me like there was either a definite agenda to gaslight the American viewers as to the relative merits of the teams' material in evidence here, or an nationalist bias Agosto didn't even try to tame. Along with the obvious politicking for Chock and Bates that took place at the GPF, it appears there's a concerted American effort to try to change the narrative for C/B that emerged quite naturally from people trusting their own eyes since the beginning of the season. Does the emperor really have clothes?

Jackie Wong's technical specifics were certainly interesting.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't get me wrong, I found your post very interesting, and I'm curious as to what various commentators are saying. But it just looks to me like there was either a definite agenda to gaslight the American viewers as to the relative merits of the teams' material in evidence here, or an nationalist bias Agosto didn't even try to tame. Along with the obvious politicking for Chock and Bates that took place at the GPF, it appears there's a concerted American effort to try to change the narrative for C/B that emerged quite naturally from people trusting their own eyes since the beginning of the season. Does the emperor really have clothes?

I posted mostly because of the technical details that gave me places to focus on for future events. I felt Ben was recognizing the steady progress made by C/B since the beginning of the season and may have got a bit carried away with his superlatives, especially since he has known them for so long and may have read too many comments writing them off and wanted to be a vote of confidence. He has not been a gaslighter that I can recall. His bias may be on display, but he was giving his personal opinion as a skating fan, not as a paid commentator. I don’t necessarily agree with all of his comments. I don’t give the US that much credit for politicking, these are the people who gave us the botched Peacock. i think the places were correct given how they skated on this day.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ben was gushing over Piper and Paul in the RD.

He is a great user of CAPS and exclamation points when he is happy with any program.

A key to why he is gushing over C&B in this dance, besides the fact that their FD has improved vastly since SkAm:

Such control from E in the lunge lift while M fan kicks over his head. Absolutely brilliant. (BA)

As a male ice dancer, Ben knows exactly how hard this lift is on the guy, and is giving Evan a huge shout-out. Usually the lady gets all the applause and the brilliant work of the partner goes entirely unnoticed. Madison changing position and sharply kicking makes it very hard to keep a steady position :love: because her center of gravity is moving around.

And, there are virtually no US viewers to be gaslighted in ice dance on the GPs outside of SkAm. No RDs are shown outside of Peacock, and it has only live coverage. Occasionally you get to see the FD of the highest scoring US team, as here. Rabid US fans watch on ISU channel or other countries' channels using a VPN.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Hawayek & Baker 's FD -fancam

Fear & Gibson FD fancam

Fournier Beaudry & Sørenson FD fancam

muptgirl

On the Ice

The thing to clarify here is that this was all from Twitter feed. The only way a viewer/follower would even seen Ben's comments would be if they followed him or work looking for them (also Jackie Wong retweets them given Ben's expertise in ID). This would be a pretty ineffective way to "gaslight" unsuspecting viewers - as they likely aren't on Twitter reading the comments of a fan of the sport (as others pointed out - this wasn't a paid commentator gig).