2022-23 GPF Senior Free Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022-23 GPF Senior Free Dance

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I see G/P as one of those teams who wins a surprising World championship to start off the new Olympic cycle but soon get passed by younger teams though i don't see any younger teams like D/W, V/M or especially P/C in the field right now that are good enough to move up as fast as those teams did sadly so we have the older teams on top who feel like they've been around forever.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Won't be able to watch in real time, so here my cheers for P&P all the way - and preferably a place on the podium for F/G. 🤞🤞🤞
I was watching live, but CBC's stream broke off with technical problems partway and took some time to be restored. Missed all of Fournier Beaudry/Sorenson's skate, just came back on when they were sitting, devastated, in the Kiss and Cry. I gather they had a fall in the program? Ted Barton just referred to "a mistake". Looking at the pdf of judges' marks, it looks as if it was on a lift?

I was relieved that Gilles/Poirier won and surprised by how much. I thought the score for the free dance would be closer than that with Chock/Bates. I didn't particularly care for C/B's avant-garde program, but their performance of it was brilliant. I thought G/P were slightly better in Espoo -- looked a wee bit more reserved this time. Good thing I'm not a judge, I guess!

noskates

Record Breaker
Was thinking the same thing that I'm glad I'm not a judge. To me, Maddie and Evan outskated Gilles and Poirer but I much preferred the beauty and the passion that Paula and Piper exuded. I think Maddie and Evan are too much into some ethereal story that no one else "gets!" It's like they're on a different planet than the average skating fan. Their free dance just doesn't excite me whereas I was totally in to Evita. I know there's a thread in The Edge about posture, but I think Paul's posture is amazing.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Piper's facial expressions are the gold standard.
That's what I've thought every time I've seen this program -- that her acting ability has contributed a lot to their performance scores. Paul kind of fades into the background this time, just doing his job (doing it exceedingly well, mind you), but somewhat expressionless. The close-up camera work helps, catching her range of expressions propelling the storyline.

rain

Record Breaker
Came back from an outing to the spectacular news that Piper and Paul won a well-deserved title here. They were just stunning, as they have been all season with this program. They skate it with such conviction, and every second of it is so well thought-out and choreographed. I get so wrapped up in it that I never have a second's hesitation. Piper's face when she realized they had won was a really touching moment and made me cry. It was like she couldn't quite believe it, that it's finally all come together, especially after the extreme disappointment of the Olympic season.

Gutted for FB/S. This was not their competition. I really respect Marie-France for seeing that skate and realizing she had to be the one to sit with them in the kiss and cry and console them when they got their score. That's pure class. No pawning it off on another member of the team. Seemed like a fluke. I have no doubt they'll come back all the stronger.

My second favourite performance of the day after Piper and Paul was Hawayek and Baker, whom I always find underscored. I was right there with them with the shrug in the kiss and cry when they didn't even score a season's best. I know some who have seen them live say they are slower than others, but I'd really like to see this for myself. I found them mesmerizing. Their program this season is genius. It cast a spell in the way that I think Chock/Bates want to, but don't achieve.

Which brings me to Chock/Bates. Somehow the whole isn't as good as the parts. It's not like the choreography is bad, it just somehow doesn't quite cast that spell that H/B and G/P manage.

Guinard and Fabri — her especially — looked unimpressed with their score. Still my main quibble with this dance is that they don't look at each other during this program. They need to interact. They look like two skaters doing the program separately. For example, she does this great head roll near the beginning of the program — if she turned her head all the way and nailed him with a look at that point it would make all the difference.

Fear/Gibson were fun, and also looked unimpressed with their scores.

Speaking of, it was interesting to say the least that nobody scored a season's best in either segment except Chock/Bates. Make of that what you will.

And the award for worst camerawork continues to go to whoever is filming this competition. Awful! Especially egregious during H/B's curve lift and at one point during Chock/Bates' FD where we got a lovely close-up of a blurry something or other. Very frustrating.

But so thrilled for Piper and Paul. Made my day.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I've always wondered how they're supposed to find flaws in the ice with the lights turned down like that.
That worried me, too. As a pairs skater, I never wanted to do shows with spotlights. In a club show, my partner, during a lasso lift, skated onto a metal hair pin dropped by someone in the group number just before us. Splat. He managed to do the chivalrous thing and rolled underneath to catch me as we crashed, but forty years later I can still feel the split second of terror as we went down.

rain

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The character "acting" before and after the skate for G/P makes me cringe every single time. Stop it.
Some skaters say it puts them into the mood or character before they even start. Otherwise it's like an actor in a play making an entry just walking on stage and not starting to act their part or say their lines until they get to centre stage. Whatever works for you, I guess. I'm not crazy about some of the elaborately choreographed bows at the end, but that's just me and I can live with it :) .

rain

Record Breaker
Some skaters say it puts them into the mood or character before they even start. Otherwise it's like an actor in a play making an entry just walking on stage and not starting to act their part or say their lines until they get to centre stage. Whatever works for you, I guess. I'm not crazy about some of the elaborately choreographed bows at the end, but that's just me and I can live with it :) .
I'm not sure why this seems to anger some people so very much. Doesn't bother me in the least. I've been to any number of live theatre performances where bows have been done in this manner. Maybe people can't find anything about the actual program to complain about, so they have to blow this out of all proportion? Oh well. Much ado about nothing, is all I can say.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Just watched FD and cannot believe it! P&P won the GP Final!!!!!! :bow::bow::bow: I'm so happy, especially after another of my three teams went out of the FIFA World Cup.
That's exactly what I needed. I love them so much and for once, I agree with Ted who said P&P's performance is like a movie on ice. I only wish they'd upped the ante in time for Olympics.

Again, said to see Leilah and Lewis missed the podium. Apologies to all G/F fans, but I just find the Brits so much more exciting. Lewis' moves are simply class. 🕺

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I am an emo mess after nik and lolo's mishap on the lift and then piper and paul winning this.... with this piece... which i think is perhaps even better than govardo... (not sure yet about this)

i hope there is enough time for me to recover before women !
To me nothing will ever match Vincent, but Evita is a damn good performance. Also, I do love the musical and I've seen it several times, which adds a special kick to thewhole thing.

LadyB

Record Breaker
That's what I've thought every time I've seen this program -- that her acting ability has contributed a lot to their performance scores. Paul kind of fades into the background this time, just doing his job (doing it exceedingly well, mind you), but somewhat expressionless.
Seriously?! I can't take my eyes off him. He doesn't need tons of facial expressions (he's just naturally gorgeous), as he let's his rather very well build body do the talking. :giggle:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I missed this event due to a holiday party out of town, but was excited to see the ISU highlight video for day 3, which features our own Lady of the Flower Crowns and quite a few of her beautiful creations.

NoNameFace, amazing work as always!

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Again, all the Ice Dancers had great programs. To me Chock and Bates are the best team. Their season had been uneven but today I thought they were great. G&P are also a great team but I do not understand how for years they consistently finished below C&B but now, this season, they're better than them? I've watched and loved skating since the mid 1970's but I admit to not being an expert in scoring especially for Dance, so can someone here please explain this result to me, and what, from a judging standpoint, has caused a reversal of these 2 teams in the standings?

C/B in the last couple of seasons had very innovative choreo which they scored very high GOE on whereas this year their programmes maybe don’t have quite the same unique highlights. Also Piper and Paul have improved a lot from when they first started together. Chock and Bates have been consistently good but really excelled over the past few years due to the uniqueness of their programmes. Piper and Paul really manage to create a mood and tell a story, particularly since Vincent; also their programmes are not as quirky as they once were, which the judges seem to be onboard with. Piper and Paul also beat C/B in Stockholm and took home the bronze so it’s not exactly like they have come out of nowhere. I think the teams are very evenly matched with different strengths. C/B’s FD seems much improved and the whole package seems to be coming together. I wouldn’t count them out of the race by any means and they will continue to improve and tweak the programmes. Worlds will come down to who skates the best on the night. The Italians could easily take it as well if they skate like they did at the Olympics.