2022-23 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whee! I love how much Valtter Virtanen, who is a physician, is also totally into figure skating! He clearly loves, loves to skate. Much good luck to Valtter and his new partner, Tilda Alteryd. It's a good thing to see singles skaters becoming ice dancers, or pairs skaters, and to see young ice dancers deciding to switch to pairs. There are so many new partnerships as the second season of the new quad heats up with unexpected explorations and experimentation.
And I love him to skate!❤️

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ This new partnership is mentioned in country change thread too. I posted there how interesting this partnership will be to watch. Misha and Efimova have elegance and excellent skills. Since the partnership has been announced, and Misha's other tryouts never came to fruition, it feels as if this was the one to wait for. Obviously, they both have more equivalent skills and experience than was possible for Misha with singles skaters who were new to pairs.

One thing to watch will be Efimova's inconsistency on jumps and sometimes throws, altho' she can land gorgeous throws. Maybe Misha's coaches at the Boston rink (Alexei Letov & his wife, Olga Ganicheva, who choreographs) can help Efimova with her tech issues, or comp nerves, whatever the inconsistencies stem from. 🤞 Everything else should be smooth and lovely, once they adjust to each other. 😊

Misha was very good with Audrey Lu. I also notice in Misha's Wiki bio that he used to skate with Emily Chan, which I did not know. They must have been quite young at the time.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As seen on CQÉ's entry list

It appears that Jacob Richmond would have paired back with Jessica Li. I liked their team (Ice Dance Canada). But I wonder where Emmy Bronsard is now...

Also... just 9 weeks ago on instagram, Jacob and Emmy were seen dancing. So yeah.. i am confused.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Bonne fête de la St-Jean-Baptiste!

(And I didn't know there was a flag in the database. Cool :cool:
One of the perks of working on Parliament Hill as I did for the two long-ago years we lived in Ottawa, was that we got holidays a month apart for both Victoria Day and St-Jean-Baptiste. Never encountered that anywhere else even though I almost always worked for one or other federal government department.

OT again. Otto Jelinek signed my paycheques while he was Minister of Supply and Services, does that make my work history skating-related?

Weathergal

Medalist
As per Anything GOE, Sofya Tyutyunina/Andrei Bagin (Russian ice dancers) have split

I really liked her with Shustitskiy. Not sure if they broke up so she could go with Bagin or if it was because he wanted to pair with Kravchenko or some other reason. Was not a fan of the Bagin partnership; always thought he was mismatched with Morozov as well. Oh well hoping Tyutyunina will find a good partner.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As seen on CQÉ's entry list

It appears that Jacob Richmond would have paired back with Jessica Li. I liked their team (Ice Dance Canada). But I wonder where Emmy Bronsard is now...

Also... just 9 weeks ago on instagram, Jacob and Emmy were seen dancing. So yeah.. i am confused.
This appears to have been a mistake :) Emmy and Jacob are now listed together for CQE in the latest update

i am not sure we can trust these lists anymore because
1) Everest is no longer listed with Jamie Fournier....
2) Kieran Trasher would no longer be skating with Chloe Penetta (which actually wouldn't surprise me...)

In any case, to the OP, I guess there is a lot of movement in pairs and dance right now with the summer competitions just getting announced in Canada... but it's difficult to know if they keep editing lists back and forth... so I will keep reporting what I see, but things may change.

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
i am not sure we can trust these lists anymore because
1) Everest is no longer listed with Jamie Fournier....
2) Kieran Trasher would no longer be skating with Chloe Penetta (which actually wouldn't surprise me...)
I wouldn't be surprised if Panetta/Thrasher split, she's aging out of juniors, but he has two more seasons of eligibility left.

With the competition in seniors, they'd struggle to make it out of the country, while there's a relative vacuum in juniors, with lots of splits and skaters aging out.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Chelsea Liu & Balasz Nagy are added to U.S. figure skating ISP list, so Nagy has decided to come back to rep the U.S., as he did in juniors with Kate Finster. I wonder where they will be training? Possibly Irvine or Colorado Springs?

I look forward to hearing more about the Gabbie Izzo/ Thierry Ferland partnership. They were announced as a new partnership at WASA pairs in Colorado Springs. The announcement was later removed. I never saw any formal announcement from the skaters or Skate Canada that Thierry split with Lori-Ann Matte (who has been dealing with an injury). Which country Gabbie/ Thierry rep will be interesting. I had automatically assumed the U.S., due to their training location.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wouldn't be surprised if Panetta/Thrasher split, she's aging out of juniors, but he has two more seasons of eligibility left.

With the competition in seniors, they'd struggle to make it out of the country, while there's a relative vacuum in juniors, with lots of splits and skaters aging out.
Yup... on top of that, she is not the most consistent though she did look much better with Trasher than in her previous partnerships.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Panetta/Thrasher made a nice pair, but they struggled technically last season. I think Kieran had showed a lot of improvement as a former hockey player new to pairs skating. But Chloe was not consistent in making steady progress. Despite her strong foundational abilities, her confidence seemed to waver in competitive situations. The aging out of juniors factor for Chloe appears to be the main issue for them, if indeed they have split.

ETA:
Oh, I see on the CQE updated list that Kieran Thrasher is apparently now paired with Jazmine Desrochers. If Chloe wants to continue, I hope she can find a partner.

I wasn't familiar with Jazmine Desrochers. I looked at a daily motion video of Jazmine with her former partner, Aidan Wright. They had very basic skills, so they placed last in SC juniors at Nationals. Jazmine has lovely movement qualities and she's also very pretty, with long dark hair. She did not appear to be a very good jumper. But I think Kieran is much taller and stronger than Aidan. So, Jazmine may be able to improve on her jumping and other pairs elements with Kieran.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Matte-Ferland... still.. we don't know. Just a month ago, they received a scholarship. That doesn't mean they cannot split but it certainly was not revealed if there were talks of Lori-Anne retiring due to injury or the team splitting. Of course, these articles are not meant to go into depths... just sharing for fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.