2022 CS Budapest Trophy Men's Free Skate | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2022 CS Budapest Trophy Men's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I remember that terrible moment. Although given Josee's track record I am not sure it made a big difference. Josee had so much talent and should have won several world medals but she just could never put together 2 back to back clean skates. And of course she was skating under the 6.o system where fav skaters got marked up no matter how they skated. I remember several worlds where skaters with big errors scored ahead of her even when she went close to clean.
yeah... at least here, in this event, Maxim was skating last. Josée would probably not have climbed up at the Olympics but would have been able to savour (maybe) the moment she had aimed for all her life... and instead, it was stolen from her... (her words in an interview)

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stuff happens.

Maxim could have been the most cautious, reliable, intent skate inspector in all of skating. Who knows. :shrug:

I hope what Maxim will take from this is how to rebound from adversity. I think he did well in that regard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Stuff happens.

Maxim could have been the most cautious, reliable, intent skate inspector in all of skating. Who knows. :shrug:

I hope what Maxim will take from this is how to rebound from adversity. I think he did well in that regard.
I feel badly for him.. he did so well in the short and he is really a wonderful skater to watch.
My issue is with the referee.. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel badly for him.. he did so well in the short and he is really a wonderful skater to watch.
My issue is with the referee.. :)

I agree, although I think it should be easier to stop the music.

I have seen too many skates (one is too many) with a skater laying or sitting on the ice injured and the music playing merrily in the background. Err on the side of caution, and figure out the points (correctly) later.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree, although I think it should be easier to stop the music.

I have seen too many skates (one is too many) with a skater laying or sitting on the ice injured and the music playing merrily in the background. Err on the side of caution, and figure out the points (correctly) later.
well the rules are clear... 40 seconds and music stops... and minus 5.
Here they did stop the music with the wrong deduction...

i think they need to make two rules... one for equipment problems which can be the same but then enforced properfly... and a different one for injuries. With injuries, they should stop the music right away. It is very ominous to hear the program going on while the skater is down on the ice.. I agree.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And he immediately went to the ref. He didn't delay. And he was ready to start skating was just waiting for the time to be correct. I think he showed great maturity in how he handled this situation. And an extra -2 , still puts him in fifth place. And now, I've officially adopted him so be nice.
I was hoping so badly he would get SkCanada spot ☺️ Alas, no dice. Maybe 4CC? He and Annis are my fav in terms of artistic delivery from the US men.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was hoping so badly he would get SkCanada spot ☺️ Alas, no dice. Maybe 4CC? He and Annis are my fav in terms of artistic delivery from the US men.
And they train together. They train at the skating club of Boston , where Skate America is being held. I'm so sad that Maxim was injured and withdrew from Nationals, because a good score would have given him the host spot.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
And they train together. They train at the skating club of Boston , where Skate America is being held. I'm so sad that Maxim was injured and withdrew from Nationals, because a good score would have given him the host spot.
Fingers crossed he will be able to catch up this year.

Andrea82

Medalist
well the rules are clear... 40 seconds and music stops... and minus 5.
Here they did stop the music with the wrong deduction...

i think they need to make two rules... one for equipment problems which can be the same but then enforced properfly... and a different one for injuries. With injuries, they should stop the music right away. It is very ominous to hear the program going on while the skater is down on the ice.. I agree.

ISU rules are often written in a convoluted way...a few lines later they have another passage for injuries:

If medical attention is required, the Referee must stop the performance by an acoustic signal, follow the Medical Protocol (Communication 2267 or any update thereof) and instruct the music technician to stop the music..........

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Stuff happens.

Yes, stuff happens, but there are those that cannot be avoided and those that can be avoided. This one definitely belongs to the second category, IMO. It is good that if this had to happen it did here and my guess is that he won´t forget this experience. Rather here than at e.g. US Nationals where I hope him to stand at the podium.

Last edited: