2022 JGP Baltic Cup Men's Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2022 JGP Baltic Cup Men's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
If you look at the ISU assignment lists, there are two men assigned to Egna, so that means the US can switch out any of the names so long as they are on the substitute lists, which Lucas Broussard is. Martynov's name is listed on the USFS international assignments list, so that means he IS confirmed, but they still have one more spot they can assign.

While it is unlikely for both Japanese men to bomb, Andreas would only have to get second to have a higher ranking than all the 22 pointers, which includes Nozomu who won gold, but bombed his second competition and only got fifth. But since there will likely be three gold medalists next week, it will be a tough competition, and everyone will have the nerves of wanting to make the final, which means there will probably be a lot more mistakes.
Okay, i will be keeping my fingers crossed for Broussard to get the spot asap, because it must be nerve wrecking and there is no helping Annis now.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Also, Nordeback with second feels doable, because he is an experienced skater… really can’t wait for next week! It’s going to be hot!

Sackie

Medalist
Just watched Paradis' free and he reminds me of Shawn Sawyer in this moves and posture and flexibility and even body build. Shawn had issues with his jumps at times too but when he could put it together he would score well. In fact I remember he won the free skate at a Skate Canada event once beating both Chan and Lysacek, and got a 'weird' medal at a Skate America once.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I admit I jumped on the Paradis train because I read who his idol was among current skaters (three guesses and the first two don't count ;) ) but I am on the train now based on Anthony's own charms.:hap10:

I hope he can get a few of the jumps he needs to proceed further, and that the scoring system does not sap the joy and musicality he brings to his programs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just watched Paradis' free and he reminds me of Shawn Sawyer in this moves and posture and flexibility and even body build. Shawn had issues with his jumps at times too but when he could put it together he would score well. In fact I remember he won the free skate at a Skate Canada event once beating both Chan and Lysacek, and got a 'weird' medal at a Skate America once.
yup.... definitely a sawyer vibe... shawn ended up with a 3a...let's hope Anthony get one too... he is only 15... so he will get a bit stronger in the next couple years and could acquire some bigger elements...

Edward Vasii, his teammate, also training with Yvan Desjardins (former coach of Nic Nadeau and Jo Phan) got his 3a...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Well, I admit I jumped on the Paradis train because I read who his idol was among current skaters (three guesses and the first two don't count ;) ) but I am on the train now based on Anthony's own charms.:hap10:

I hope he can get a few of the jumps he needs to proceed further, and that the scoring system does not sap the joy and musicality he brings to his programs.
We clearly know whose disciple Anthony is 😎
20221008_150421.jpg

20221008_150510.jpg

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Now, if only Chen got Edna assignment… but likely not.
Not only unlikely but completely impossible. The rules are very clear when it comes to the number of JGP spots, and, as sad as it is for Yudong, in the end, this is the fault of the Chinese skating federation and the ISU won't be making an exception to accommodate the mistakes of single federations.

I can only hope that the Chinese federation will at least have the sense to send him to a Junior International to get SP TES minimums. (They could even combine it with a Challenger or Senior B event if they can't justify sending him to Europe for just a Junior International. Or they could wait and send him to Asian Open in Indonesia to compete in the Junior category.) And to learn from this issue and always send their skaters to Jr Worlds from now on (if you have eligible skaters with TES minimums of course).

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Not only unlikely but completely impossible. The rules are very clear when it comes to the number of JGP spots, and, as sad as it is for Yudong, in the end, this is the fault of the Chinese skating federation and the ISU won't be making an exception to accommodate the mistakes of single federations.

I can only hope that the Chinese federation will at least have the sense to send him to a Junior International to get SP TES minimums. (They could even combine it with a Challenger or Senior B event if they can't justify sending him to Europe for just a Junior International. Or they could wait and send him to Asian Open in Indonesia to compete in the Junior category.) And to learn from this issue and always send their skaters to Jr Worlds from now on (if you have eligible skaters with TES minimums of course).
I didn’t know it’s impossible… argh. So frustrating! Particularly with this event not having any quads at all, and barely any 3As even.

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I didn’t know it’s impossible… argh. So frustrating! Particularly with this event not having any quads at all, and barely any 3As even.
Yeah, Jr Worlds is basically the equivalent of what Worlds/Nebelhorn Trophy is for Olympic qualification, just for the Junior Grand Prix (and everyone gets spots, even those not competing).

1st to 3rd highest-placed federations (only each federation's highest-placed skater's placement counts for the ranking) get 2 entries in 7 events (so 14 in total), 4th to 6th get 1 entry in 7 events, 7th to 10th get 1 entry in 6 events, 11th to 24th get 1 entry in 5 events, 25th to 30th get 1 entry in 4 events, 31st and lower get 1 entry in 3 events and any federation that did not have a competitor in the discipline gets 1 entry in 2 events.
If any of the federations placed 1st to 10th chooses not to use (some of) their spots, these are given to federations placed 4th to 6th (in order of placement) until they also have a full 2 entries in 7 events, any additional entries are not redistributed.

So because China didn't send anyone to Jr Worlds, they only had two JGP entries (JGP Ostrava and JGP Gdansk I), only one of which they gave to Yudong.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Robert Yampolsky is another new to me skater. It's good to see him do so well here. OTOH......What is going on with Will? Is he still splitting his time between singles and Ice Dance? If so, I think it might be time for him to make a choice about his future.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would say Shawn Sawyer ;)

But who does Anthony *himself* name as his inspiration? :biggrin:

When asked who he admires and looks up to in skating, Paradis named just one person. “I love Jason Brown. Not only because of the jumps, but the spins, the choreography and the interpretation that he puts into his programs. That is the best thing. Even when I was younger I looked up to him so much. He would be one of my biggest inspirations.”

ETA: Fans can of course say what skater they think Anthony reminds them of, and that is cool. But Anthony seems to be a confident young man, not overly deferential to his coach or his elders, so I'll go with what he says. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But who does Anthony *himself* name as his inspiration? :biggrin:

When asked who he admires and looks up to in skating, Paradis named just one person. “I love Jason Brown. Not only because of the jumps, but the spins, the choreography and the interpretation that he puts into his programs. That is the best thing. Even when I was younger I looked up to him so much. He would be one of my biggest inspirations.”

haha i know.. i was just teasing you all :)

Anthony may say that, but I think he does look more like Shawn than Jason... In any case, it's a good look :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
haha i know.. i was just teasing you all :)

Anthony may say that, but I think he does look more like Shawn than Jason... In any case, it's a good look :)

This is off topic, but when I first came back to skating, (because of Jason) I would read on these very boards that Jason reminded some posters of Shawn Sawyer. So I went to look up Shawn Sawyer. (He skated while I was "away"). And I was impressed.

But we all agree, good luck to Anthony! I really hope he is able to stay in the sport.:hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is off topic, but when I first came back to skating, (because of Jason) I would read on these very boards that Jason reminded some posters of Shawn Sawyer. So I went to look up Shawn Sawyer. (He skated while I was "away"). And I was impressed.

But we all agree, good luck to Anthony! I really hope he is able to stay in the sport.:hap10:
I guess because I followed Shawn, I never saw Jason as being similar of a skater. Yes, Jason is flexible but it's not his main attribute. To me Jason's strength is in the attention to every single detail and position. The research for excellence at all times. The flexibility is there but doesn't define him. Shawn's flexibility was his most striking asset. Anthony is young and right now, his flexibility is really shining. We will see how he grows up. Some boys are able to acquire the bigger jumps when they get a bit stronger. I hope that's what will happen to him. At the same time, there are very few male skaters in Quebec right now... and none of them with good jumps... (I miss Jo). So Anthony can remain on team Quebec for a long time if he wishes to do so. He will have to improve a lot his content if he wants to compete with Keegan, Roman, even Conrad who on a good day can land all the quads (but the axel). Even his teammate Edward Vasii has a 3a.... (they are both juniors training with Yvan Desjardins). What I love about Yvan is that all his skaters develop good skills AND retain their individuality. He's been one of my favourite coaches for a while now... I hope people would give him all the credit he deserves.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Robert Yampolsky is another new to me skater. It's good to see him do so well here. OTOH......What is going on with Will? Is he still splitting his time between singles and Ice Dance? If so, I think it might be time for him to make a choice about his future.
I know! I don’t know what’s going on with Annis. He just seems to have no end of awesome, but it just doesn’t come together 🥲

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah, Jr Worlds is basically the equivalent of what Worlds/Nebelhorn Trophy is for Olympic qualification, just for the Junior Grand Prix (and everyone gets spots, even those not competing).

1st to 3rd highest-placed federations (only each federation's highest-placed skater's placement counts for the ranking) get 2 entries in 7 events (so 14 in total), 4th to 6th get 1 entry in 7 events, 7th to 10th get 1 entry in 6 events, 11th to 24th get 1 entry in 5 events, 25th to 30th get 1 entry in 4 events, 31st and lower get 1 entry in 3 events and any federation that did not have a competitor in the discipline gets 1 entry in 2 events.
If any of the federations placed 1st to 10th chooses not to use (some of) their spots, these are given to federations placed 4th to 6th (in order of placement) until they also have a full 2 entries in 7 events, any additional entries are not redistributed.

So because China didn't send anyone to Jr Worlds, they only had two JGP entries (JGP Ostrava and JGP Gdansk I), only one of which they gave to Yudong.
Now that I know I am going to root for him to get an assignment! I remember him skating from previous years and liked him and that rally in Gdańsk was epic.