2022 Olympics Team Event Day3: Free Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day3: Free Dance

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be so sure. I personally think H/D deserve the silver if they are clean on the basis of their amazing SS. However,momentum matters in ice dance and both American teams have that...we will see what happens.
Nah, when it is that close between the teams there is no reason to give the medals just for the one nation. The more diversity, the better ;)

readernick

Medalist
Nah, when it is that close between the teams there is no reason to give the medals just for the one nation. The more diversity, the better ;)
I agree that diversity is better. However, I don't think S/K deserve a medal if they skate the way they did in the team event. If they really show up and give 100 percent, then sure the judges should reward them for their skate. However, Nikita isn't known for his cleanliness or accuracy.

rain

Record Breaker
When the assignment came out, all of us were saying Chock/Bates should have done the RD and Hubbell/Donohue the FD. Maybe Marie-France knows what she's doing after all.
I have no particular opinion on the assignments except I far prefer Chock/Bates RD and would rather have seen it than H/D's. C/B's RD is actually one of my three favourite of the season. I'm equally meh on both teams' free dances. I am pleased that both teams got a chance to skate and (presumably) get a medal.

Last edited:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I agree that diversity is better. However, I don't think S/K deserve a medal if they skate the way they did in the team event. If they really show up and give 100 percent, then sure the judges should reward them for their skate. However, Nikita isn't known for his cleanliness or accuracy.
Well, they will give the medal to Italians or Canadians or the second Russians in that way, but i doubt they will give two medals to USA, unless they are skating visibly better than the others... Like I'm pretty sure they won't give 3 medals to Japan in Men or 3 medals to Russia in Ladies if the situation is a close call like we have here...

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
But, they skated both programs so that Russia could get the team gold. So, that was obviously their primary goal. I honestly think the judges just got sick of their mistakes and decided to score them the way they should have been scored all year.
The only one who is forgiven by not making 20 points is to Kondratuk, because it was not favorite to anything and gave it 17 points to the team. The couples had a good fight against S/H, but today's fall was ridiculous... But what about dance is unforgivable, they considered themselves rivals of the french and with this mediocre skating full of errors will not be or 5th in the dance event.

Reggie21

Spectator
Madi and Evan were amazing! Loved the program and the presentation. Their synchro of lines was spot on. Thought the Russians were good. Found the Canadian "journey" boring.

readernick

Medalist
Well, they will give the medal to Italians or Canadians or the second Russians in that way, but i doubt they will give two medals to USA, unless they are skating visibly better than the others... Like I'm pretty sure they won't give 3 medals to Japan in Men or 3 medals to Russia in Ladies if the situation is a close call like we have here...
I do wish the Italians would medal. They are incredible and never get rewarded. But, I think it is clear that neither the Canadians nor the Italians are getting too much love from the judges. Based on the cleanliness of their RD, the Italians and Canadians both should have beaten S/K in that portion but they didn't.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
I'm torn. I am so sad and angry for Piper and Paul, who I thought skated brilliantly and deserved much better.

I'm surprised in a good way that Sinitsina/Katsalopov look eminently beatable and not on the cusp of snatching gold from the French, which I don't think their material or skating this season deserves in the slightest. I really thought we'd see the politicking push for gold begin here, but they were beaten by both American teams. I'm pleasantly surprised by this.
I’m really gutted for Piper and Paul. Their medal chances seemed to have evaporated. I’ll have to rewatch but it seemed to me that they skated lights out.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I do wish the Italians would medal. They are incredible and never get rewarded. But, I think it is clear that neither the Canadians nor the Italians are getting too much love from the judges. Based on the cleanliness of their RD, the Italians and Canadians both should have beaten S/K in that portion but they didn't.
We will see, RD is a more safe for SinKats because there are less elements in it and they are really good with the pattern dance (they usually hit all the key points comparing to the others), but the free will be interesting...

Last edited:

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
I'll totally eat my words. This worked out perfectly for the US and turned a bronze to silver.

Congrats to Chock/Bates! I'm so glad the better duo won, AGAIN, even if it came down to an extended lift deduction.
That was impossible, those who believed that possibility were very ridiculous. In dance the japanese would not go from the 5th place and USA at the worst scenario it would be 3rd. With that the difference was 2 points in favor of the USA staying only the Ladies event. To win the Japan tiebreaker should take 3 points above the US, and that would only be possible with Sakamoto winning Ladies, because Chen would never be under the skater chinesse ... USA won his silver medal from the moment the dance of the japanese.

Cilla70

On the Ice
Why not? I mean this seriously? Why are some teams allowed to make risky choices and do different things and others aren't?

I enjoy the program, I enjoy the difference in the music. Just before people were saying the other pairs had to much same same. Now it's too different?

It's like some are allowed and some aren't depending on entirely personal reasons that are unfair.

As I once said regarding Kaitlin and Jean-Luc, they could do the chicken dance and if they can nail it, give 'em the points.

You can't argue that figure skating is boring and in the past then pitch a fit when people do different stuff.
Composition of your program is a part of your PC scoring. Having a smooth transition in music changes and the content of the skating at that change will increase a team‘s PC score. The change in the last part of their program was kind of abrupt and the the steps did not meld well with the previous portions of the program. From a soft, flowing classical to a folk dance without a smooth transition. Scoring is subjective so the judges might score them well but a lot of us fans found it hurt the program.

Last edited: