2023-24 Russian Men's Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Men's Figure Skating

niks

On the Ice
Matvei Vetlugin switched from Mishin to Rukavitsin (RIA)

Can't say I'm surprised really. Things've looked cold/off between him and Mishin / the coaching team for a while. It was quite painful to watch in the last couple of competitions as Matvey didn't skate well and in the K&C everyone was just looking fixed ahead, without any interaction between them :frown:

It's sad because I think he had big expectations for his work with Mishin and I liked him in that group, but if things unfortunately weren't working out, it's good he made the decision to change. It probably wasn't easy.

Rukavitsin seems quite close to his skaters so fingers crossed Matvei has a good training environment in his new group. Hopefully things will turn out for the best for Matvei 🤞

icewhite

Record Breaker
Can't say I'm surprised really. Things've looked cold/off between him and Mishin / the coaching team for a while. It was quite painful to watch in the last couple of competitions as Matvey didn't skate well and in the K&C everyone was just looking fixed ahead, without any interaction between them :frown:

It's sad because I think he had big expectations for his work with Mishin and I liked him in that group, but if things unfortunately weren't working out, it's good he made the decision to change. It probably wasn't easy.

Rukavitsin seems quite close to his skaters so fingers crossed Matvei has a good training environment in his new group. Hopefully things will turn out for the best for Matvei 🤞

I also hope for the best for him. I can understand he wanted to change something and I'm not sure he felt really good at Mishin's. It seems it was Prokofieva who was mostly caring for/about the more "beautiful" skaters in that group?
Not sure Rukavitsin is the best option, but of course I'm not the person to ask, lol. I think hoping for a coaching change to bring results does not often work out in figure skating since it seems what you learned as a child is so much more influential than what a later coach can do (unless you go to Orser who seems to be a great finisher coach) but I can understand the wish to at least try if you feel you have reached an end.
Hopefully he will get some nice programs. I wonder if Davydenko was not an option, I would have liked to see the programs.