2023-24 Russian Nationals Pairs Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Nationals Pairs Short Program

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Boikova made a mistake on a more difficult jump. But M/G has better throws anyway.
I'd argue that B/K's throws have more distance and M/G's throws have more height but I am too biased to make an objective statement

Ella339

On the Ice
I don't know why the moment things don't go perfectly for Aliona, she is changing programs. Sometimes programs are not the problem?
It has been speculated that Aliona has ADHD. Impulsivity and novelty-seeking are both traits.

I hope this is not inappropriate to share. It is certainly not an insult, it's okay to have a brain that works differently! And more visibility would mean less prejudice and judgement. Kosto is a lovely skater and person, and she has often been misunderstood and unfairly maligned.

---

So. I had this as a draft, and here came a perfect example:
I don't think it's ever going to work out with Kunitsa he is unsuitable for this. Kostornaia might be suitable just because she had so much innate talent, but she needs an experienced partner to reveal this.

No, I think cares deeply about medals, but impulsively flits from one project or idea to the next with every aspect of her life. She seems deeply unsatisfied, and probably regrets that she let herself go during COVID. A lot of skaters used that dead time to improve, Alyona degraded. It was a strange time, not a judgment just an observation.

Probably one of the most wasted talents in history, and only has herself to blame for it. Cannot commit to anything unless she has her mother and someone like Eteri keeping her focused. Without Eteri she wouldn't have made it past juniors.
Aliona did not "let herself go". Aliona caught Covid several times, and very clearly dealt with long Covid after that for a very long time.

And just because she has internalized Eteri's narrative about being lazy and rebellious, and repeated it herself, doesn't mean that she actually ever was. She would never have accomplished everything she has if she lacked work ethic or discipline.

I am so over these BS narratives.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Women in pairs are usually less tall than in singles.
Yes, makes sense but I think since ultra-c is borderline required for podium in Russia, its easier to get away with being tall + consistent in pairs if your partner is strong.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I need to slap my pillow or something because I am upset and angry and I have nobody to slap

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I don't think you understand how chemicals work in the body but that's another discussion.

Alyona when she had her hip surgery was supposed to take it easy 6 months was back jumping after 2 against the coach's wishes and led to their disagreement.

COVID was a good opportunity to recover from injuries, maintain fitness.
Funny, you say I don't understand how chemicals work in the body, when I literally have a degree in biology. There are absolutely substances that will allow you to push through serious injuries and illnesses, and yes, many of them are not allowed under WADA laws, because of the effect they have on the healthy body.

Alena's hip surgery came much later, shortly before switching to pairs. There was no (public) disagreement with anyone at that time.
Also, the things you are describing as "letting herself go" could certainly be the "symptoms" of healing. If you didn't jump for a while to heal, of course your jumps won't be as consistent, and you likely won't be able to do a 3A just because someone thinks you should be able to do it as you always could before. If you are having issues with your breathing, how are you supposed to keep up your stamina? And if you can't keep up your stamina, how are you expected to be able to do programs with the same stability, energy and difficulty as before?

Last edited:

indujaa

Rinkside
Boikova made a mistake on a more difficult jump. But M/G has better throws anyway.
I think M/G said in a interview they dont want to do quad because the points given to quad is much lesser than the risk and effort. I feel if quad had higher bv they might probably learn it.
I love that boikova and dima are going for difficult jump.
Two different approach but the rivarly is what i'm here for.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Yes, makes sense but I think since ultra-c is borderline required for podium in Russia, its easier to get away with being tall + consistent in pairs if your partner is strong.
But such a man has yet to be found. There are far fewer men in figure skating than women. And if the girl was a strong single skater, it is desirable that this man could jump.

Although there is a pretty good pair in the juniors right now with a slight height difference. But it's impossible to predict how they will develop further.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
And just because she has internalized Eteri's narrative about being lazy and rebellious, and repeated it herself, doesn't mean that she actually ever was.
Yea, just because everyone else, and she herself, made a deduction about herself, that doesnt make it true. But... it sure does make it highly likely! 🤣