2023 European Championships Men's Free Skate | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2023 European Championships Men's Free Skate

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Matteo gave his flowers to a lady who gave him the flag. A man walking near me when we went out said "we had a wonderful night". Agree.
I went to arena quite early and men's last practice was just near to finish, but I managed to see Matteo and Adam. He had nice run through and skated more than half of the program, so I was already waiting a good performance from him. Also Adam did well.

Good night everybody. I blink this forum tomorrow, may comment something, but concentrate more on skaters and need my toilet and dinner pauses.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Was finally able to catch up. Very happy for adam matteo and lukas. Pretty much my favourite podium. Many men struggled today it seems. Bravo to Mark who rabked 9th in the Lp starting in the first group.... i enjoyed this event despite the chaotic mess....and my heart goes to Frangipani who had it until he no longer had it.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Really enjoyable programs from all three medalists, I'm happy with this podium! Kevin fought valiantly as well, and also gave a heartfelt performance, but the tech didn't hold up to the top 3 this time. I look forward to rewatching as I couldn't watch the first two groups.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m happy with results. But, the one thing that frustrates me with mens skating is that a wonderful 4T is landed and then a followed up with a dismal 2T that defeats the whole purpose and strategy regarding maximizing points. At the same time, it is nice to know that clean performances with no quads can still be competitive in this realm. 240+-260+ is not that high and can be attained with just well landed 3As and triples.

Congrats to Adam, Matteo and Lukas!
Well... of course, they often want to tag a 3toe but it is not always possible.... better tag a double then leave yourself at risk of a +rep larer on...when a combo is planned, skaters will attempt it. Even a single is better than a +rep.
Also, let's not forget thay some prefer saving their +3 for other combos... for instance, if a skater repeats the quad toe and the 3 axel he only disposes a one triple toe... so it may be better to tag it after a less difficult jump for them. In the end, it doesnt change the bv at all.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Just stumbled upon a replay on german TV with the two commentators who either love or dislike a skater, score or program and like to say this out loud...

They absolutely loved Maurizio, praised the program and the thoughts behind it, wanted him to have higher PCS and thought that VV got too many PCS "as a farewell present perhaps"

:LOL: that's them.
They, esp. one, sometimes can't hold back either way and the other sometimes neither agrees nor disagrees

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well... of course, they often want to tag a 3toe but it is not always possible.... better tag a double then leave yourself at risk of a +rep larer on...when a combo is planned, skaters will attempt it. Even a single is better than a +rep.
Also, let's not forget thay some prefer saving their +3 for other combos... for instance, if a skater repeats the quad toe and the 3 axel he only disposes a one triple toe... so it may be better to tag it after a less difficult jump for them. In the end, it doesnt change the bv at all.
Yeah! I understand that. In the example of Adam, for example, he landed a 4T and then went for 2T. But, he later on just goes for 3F 2T. One of those, should have been a 3T to maximize points. My friends would sometimes ask me, why do the girls get 70+ TES, when a man that does quads and triple axels only gets 80+ TES? When I examine the protocol sheet, that is when it becomes obvious to me how many points are lost due to combos and spins and the men tend to be worse in this area than the ladies. The top ladies maximize their combo potential and spins; the men leave so many points off the table. I actually think Kevin is better off, leaving out the quads and just sticking to triples too.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Yeah! I understand that. In the example of Adam, for example, he landed a 4T and then went for 2T. But, he later on just goes for 3F 2T. One of those, should have been a 3T to maximize points. My friends would sometimes ask me, why do the girls get 70+ TES, when a man that does quads and triple axels only gets 80+ TES? When I examine the protocol sheet, that is when it becomes obvious to me how many points are lost due to combos and spins and the men tend to be worse in this area than the ladies. The top ladies maximize their combo potential and spins; the men leave so many points off the table. I actually think Kevin is better off, leaving out the quads and just sticking to triples too.
He should try to maximize points without a quad.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
adam had scratchy landings on both jumps....that wasn't the plan :) I would also think that quad combos are riskier, due to the elevation needed etc. For instance, Daniel has 3 different quads but none of them are done in combo and his 3-3 is the lz-t which he uses as well in the SP...

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Glad Grassl had a bit of a redemption skate and Britschgi was amazing! And I can’t help but wish Vasilijevs made 4S this year not the last… i am also so, so happy for Fa, he always had such entertaining programs! But Rizzo’s second medal in Europeans was a real joy! I guess I tend to invest more in skaters I saw live, and I saw Rizzo twice in Skate Canada so I am invested. I am hoping Grassl comes back strong because yup, we need these guys!