2023 European Championships Men's Short Program | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2023 European Championships Men's Short Program

auser

Record Breaker
watching this over my lunch break drained me... i am not sure i can go to the studio and work with my students until 9pm...
:console: Your students would miss your guidance and wisdom. I missed most of this comp. Is it too scary to watch a replay?

Last edited:

xabia

On the Ice
He’s already brilliant? He skates like a spider crab. He has no finesse. He’s not an artist. His entrance to jumps are ugly. There’s nothing uplifting in this person’s skating.
I’m talking of Grassl, of course!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
he clearly didn't recover after bombing GP finals. he reminds me a bit of Shoma's mental state that year when he tried to coach himself (and went to Eteri too). maybe i'm seeing too much into it but he looks so lost...
It's mental, now when he is considered as one of a favorite... I think his current coaching team had a lot of experience with it and he will be fine... If the nasty comments about those coaches don't ruin him :(

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
HA ! Hilarious. Maybe i will watch the skate again and try to find the fall on that Step Seq... i may also bring my old Where's Waldo book.

No, I'm serious now, that move in the step sequence is counting as a fall, because his skates go of the ice. It's on 3:20:42 on the youtube stream.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No, I'm serious now, that move in the step sequence is counting as a fall, because his skates go of the ice. It's on 3:20:42 on the youtube stream.
well... i looked at what you are pointing out... and though I am no expert, it was a movement that is very well controlled and shouldn't count as a fall. I was under the impression that all these "sliding" and "funky moves" were fine as long as they showed control from the skater.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
well... i looked at what you are pointing out... and though I am no expert, it was a movement that is very well controlled and shouldn't count as a fall.
It's not a slide what he demonstrated, that wasn't his intention, so it's a fall - his skates slipped away of the ice and his leg from the knees down with a hand was on the ice. When majority of the body weight is on the ice, that's counting as a fall. It is exactly the not controlled thing what made this to count as a fall.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's not a slide what he demonstrated, it's a fall - his leg from the knees down with a hand was on the ice. When majority of the body weight is on the ice, that's counting as a fall.
I see it as an intricate body move ;) but you and the tech panel are certainly right ;) Frangipani himself looked puzzled at the minus one deduction, so clearly, he was also not expecting a fall there. :) I'd be curious to see how he performed the same movement in other events.. to see if it were indeed executed differently and if it were counted as a fall or not then.... this is the problem with some of these rules...they have to make sense and be applied consistently.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I think Lambiel would be the most logical answer from his side, he helped to improve and stabilize Shoma's jumps and could help with the PCS as well. And in case the homesickness was not just an excuse it would be close to Italy. I wonder if Grassl ever asked him.
Another option could be Huth. Relatively close to home, and he speaks German. He has coached Kostner for eons, too, so the Federation knows him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frangipani has always been my favourite Italian man. Grassl isn’t a skater. Both Frenchies are simply out of this world. Deniss I don’t have to say anything because everyone loves him, but as a certain coach said to Jason, “Get rid of the pony tail”. As for the rest, I can’t see another Javi turning up soon.

Huh? No coach told Jason to ditch the pony.

I love Deniss' hair, but product, he needs *product*. It distracts from his lovely skating.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, but if you make such a decision you have to face the consequences, that's that many people won't like it.
Well, i don't like to eat bread, but i don't put nasty comments about it on the social platforms. I mean, he can choose his own paths without someone 'preach' what is right or wrong. He will certainly confront consequences of his choices by himself, so it will be nice of people to let other people creating their own destinies :shrug:

Last edited:

icetug

Medalist
I think Lambiel would be the most logical answer from his side, he helped to improve and stabilize Shoma's jumps and could help with the PCS as well. And in case the homesickness was not just an excuse it would be close to Italy. I wonder if Grassl ever asked him.
Daniel was in Champery at least once as the Goose Academy had summer camps there. Italian skaters are regular visitors also during high season (most lately Lara Naki Gutmann). Angelo Dolfini who joined their coaching team is Italian. So Daniel could easily come for some time to Champery if he wanted...

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, i don't like to eat bread, but i don't put nasty comments about it on the social platforms. I mean, he can choose his own paths without someone 'preach' what is right or wrong. He will certainly confront consequences of his choices by himself, so it will be nice of people to let other people creating their own destinies :shrug:

he can make choices, we can comment that we disagree with the choices. We are talking about a skating forum where posters criticize skaters all the time.

IMO, this was a highly ill advised choice. I'm not being nasty, just expressing facts as I see them. Which we do on skating fora.

icewhite

Record Breaker

Well, sure, but an elite figure skater is a public person, at least as far as his sportive decisions are concerned. Choice of coach is different from choosing your partner or which socks you wear in your private time. I don't like to make nasty comments about it, but of course people have an opinion on it.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brian did!

Well I don't want to divert too much, but I would need a link, I've read pretty much everything on Jason and he's always said it was his idea.

In fact, he kept it longer than he intended, because he thought it would hurt his 2018 season/Oly chances to get rid of it altogether.

But back to Deniss, we can have different opinions, I like his hair, but it needs styling for comps.