2023 Junior Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat | Golden Skate

2023 Junior Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 World Junior Figure Skating Championships will take place February 27 - March 5, 2023, in Calgary, AB, Canada, at the WinSport Arena at Canada Olympic Park.

"Junior Worlds" is an annual event that moves around the globe, showcasing the best young skaters from around the world, competing for the world junior titles in men's, ladies', pairs', and ice dance. ISU Member nations select their entries according to their own criteria. Currently, skaters must be at least 13 years old, but not yet 19, before the previous 1 July, except for men competing in pair skating and ice dancing, where the age maximum is 21.

Skaters/couples participating in the 2022 ISU World Figure Skating Championships must have reached the following Minimum Total Elements Scores during the ongoing season (2022/23) or the immediately preceding seasons (2021/22):

Minimum Technical Scores (TES)

Discipline
Men25.0044.00
Women25.0040.00
Pairs23.0034.00
Ice Dance24.0038.00

The Minimum Technical Elements Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 39, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 10 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Rhythm Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3). The required Minimum Total Elements Score for the Short Program/Rhythm Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance segment to participate in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can only be obtained in International Junior Competitions.

While the Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached separately in each segment (not a total of the two segments), the Minimum Technical Elements Score for each segment may be reached at different competitions. The Minimum Technical Elements Score must be reached 21 (twenty-one) days before the first day (first official practice day) of the Championships concerned (same as entry deadline).

Last edited by a moderator:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Is there going to be a Junior World predictions contest?

There is indeed. Junior Worlds will be the second and final round of the Junior ISU Skate Picks, which opened with the EYOF last month.

Traditionally, Prediction Threads for upcoming events don't normally get put up until after the previous event that was being predicted on has been completed. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, because there is a LOT of background work that goes into completing the old round, and another lot for setting up the new round. And secondly, so that the top of the thread list page doesn't get too cluttered with lots of sticky threads.

Hope this clears things up

CaroLiza_fan

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm going to admit that I did not pay much attention to the juniors this year. Are there any special skaters that we should keep an eye on?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
@mrrice Check out the fan fests listed in the posted OPs for the events. Most are for teams to watch! The JGPs are a good place to look!

In dance, the six JGP teams were

FPl. Name Nation Points RD FD
1 Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT
CAN
167.26 1 1
2 Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN
KOR
162.53 3 2
3 Katerina MRAZKOVA / Daniel MRAZEK
CZE
161.54 4 3
4 Phebe BEKKER / James HERNANDEZ
GBR
156.97 2 4
5 Darya GRIMM / Michail SAVITSKIY
GER
152.01 5 5
6 Celina FRADJI / Jean-Hans FOURNEAUX
FRA
140.71. 6. 6

I expect Neset & Markelov USA will be in the top 6. They did not make the JGPF because they only competed in one JGP. They recently were first in the FD at Bavarian Open over Bekker & Hernandez and Grimm & Savitskiy, finishing 2nd overall there.

Fradji & Fourneaux are so vulnerable, they were beaten at French nationals by Louise BORDET / Thomas GIPOULOU. B&G, along with Anna SIMOVA / Kirill AKSENOV SVK, Jenna HAUER / Benjamin STARR USA,
and Helena CARHART / Volodymyr HOROVYI USA are candidates for top 11. IMO.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kao MIURA, who just won 4CC's, will be here, and I expect will win.

The men in the JGPF who are coming to Jr. World's are:

Result

FPl. Name Nation Points SP FS
1 Nikolaj MEMOLA
ITA
230.50 2 1
2 Lucas BROUSSARD
USA
220.43 1 3
3 Nozomu YOSHIOKA
JPN
208.01 5 2

5 Robert YAMPOLSKY
USA
198.02 4 4

Wesley Chiu CAN and Yudong Chen CHN have been skating seniors and are contenders for top 6
Andreas NORDEBACK SWE is also a contender for top 6.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since there are only 14 pairs teams, and Junior Pairs tend to crash & burn, almost any of them could be top 6. Deng & Smith, who were in the JGPF, have split, and are not here.

1 Anastasia GOLUBEVA / Hektor GIOTOPOULOS MOORE
AUS
181.37 2 1
2 Sophia BARAM / Daniel TIOUMENTSEV
USA
176.78 1 2

4 Haruna MURAKAMI / Sumitada MORIGUCHI
JPN
149.03 5 3
5 Violetta SIEROVA / Ivan KHOBTA
UKR
143.06 4 5
6 Chloe PANETTA / Kieran THRASHER
CAN
130.89 6 6

Naomi WILLIAMS / Lachlan LEWER USA just won Bavarian Open with a score of.
136.23 and could sneak into the top 6.

Ava KEMP / Yohnatan ELIZAROV CAN have a chance, too.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
As for the women, I don't follow them, and there are 48 of them. Anyone's guess is better than mine.

The JGPF competitors who will be here are:

FPl. Name Nation Points SP FS
1 Mao SHIMADA
JPN
205.54 1 1
2 Jia SHIN
KOR
200.32 2 2

4 Ami NAKAI
JPN
189.23 4 4
5 Minsol KWON
KOR
175.43 5 5

Kimmy REPOND SUI who finished third at Europeans is a contender for top 6.

Yujae KIM KOR is a contender for top 6.

Inga GURGENIDZE GEO has been doing well, recently

Perhaps Clare Seo, Soho Lee, and/or Josephine Lee, all of USA, or Kaiya RUITER CAN might sneak into the top 10.

mrrice

Record Breaker
@mrrice Check out the fan fests listed in the posted OPs for the events. Most are for teams to watch! The JGPs are a good place to look!

In dance, the six JGP teams were

FPl. Name Nation Points RD FD
1 Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT
CAN
167.26 1 1
2 Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN
KOR
162.53 3 2
3 Katerina MRAZKOVA / Daniel MRAZEK
CZE
161.54 4 3
4 Phebe BEKKER / James HERNANDEZ
GBR
156.97 2 4
5 Darya GRIMM / Michail SAVITSKIY
GER
152.01 5 5
6 Celina FRADJI / Jean-Hans FOURNEAUX
FRA
140.71. 6. 6

I expect Neset & Markelov USA will be in the top 6. They did not make the JGPF because they only competed in one JGP. They recently were first in the FD at Bavarian Open over Bekker & Hernandez and Grimm & Savitskiy, finishing 2nd overall there.

Fradji & Fourneaux are so vulnerable, they were beaten at French nationals by Louise BORDET / Thomas GIPOULOU. B&G, along with Anna SIMOVA / Kirill AKSENOV SVK, Jenna HAUER / Benjamin STARR USA,
and Helena CARHART / Volodymyr HOROVYI USA are candidates for top 11. IMO.
Thank you for always coming to my rescue!!!! You're the best!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm going to admit that I did not pay much attention to the juniors this year. Are there any special skaters that we should keep an eye on?
Also make sure to watch Ashlie Slatter and Atl Ongay-Perez from GBR. It's their first season as Juniors and they are incredibly good for their ages (13 and 15). (I may be biased as I make their costumes but they really are a team to watch, as well as being utterly delightful.)

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Also make sure to watch Ashlie Slatter and Atl Ongay-Perez from GBR. It's their first season as Juniors and they are incredibly good for their ages (13 and 15). (I may be biased as I make their costumes but they really are a team to watch, as well as being utterly delightful.)
They are wonderful!😻

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I went to check out the venue today (Canadian Novice Cup was taking place there, so I figured why not) and it is just great. Warm, well arranged, comfortable seats, good light and free parking… we are also stocked for stuffies. Dunno if photo will show up, but lol, trust me, it’s lots of stuffies! But… lots of wonderful young skaters too, so… we will do what we can!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I went to check out the venue today (Canadian Novice Cup was taking place there, so I figured why not) and it is just great. Warm, well arranged, comfortable seats, good light and free parking… we are also stocked for stuffies. Dunno if photo will show up, but lol, trust me, it’s lots of stuffies! But… lots of wonderful young skaters too, so… we will do what we can!

my eyes were instantly drawn to the avocados and then i noticed the green thing on top of them... what is it? so cute

Last edited: