2024 Worlds: General Info and Pre-game chat | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2024 Worlds: General Info and Pre-game chat

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was trying to figure out where you were sitting! I haven't been online too much and kept saying "Wait! She's here!" I knew you would be thrilled about Piper and Paul. They were lovely, as were your crowns!.II was in Section 203. Where were you?
I think she was on the aisle in 103? I saw her give some of the crowns to skaters!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I was trying to figure out where you were sitting! I haven't been online too much and kept saying "Wait! She's here!" I knew you would be thrilled about Piper and Paul. They were lovely, as were your crowns!.II was in Section 203. Where were you?
So so sorry about missing the message!
I'm already on the road again (for Easter) and between getting back, work and doing a lot of laundry I've got sidetracked.
Thursday/Friday I sat in 104 (my tickets were there) and on Saturday I was in 103 indeed like @apgold said already :). I bought end-of-row on 103 strategically because I had the most stuff to be given out that day.
Suffice to say, the whole experience surpassed Amy expectations if I had any. And it was worth to kick fears in their behind and go. I hope you had great time!!!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So so sorry about missing the message!
I'm already on the road again (for Easter) and between getting back, work and doing a lot of laundry I've got sidetracked.
Thursday/Friday I sat in 104 (my tickets were there) and on Saturday I was in 103 indeed like @apgold said already :). I bought end-of-row on 103 strategically because I had the most stuff to be given out that day.
Suffice to say, the whole experience surpassed Amy expectations if I had any. And it was worth to kick fears in their behind and go. I hope you had great time!!!
So.glad you had a wonderful time, and sorry I missed a chance to greet you. I'm not sure if you remember, but we met in Milan at Worlds 2018. Wow,was that really 6 years ago?!?!...Start saving your money for Boston! Hope to see you there! Your crowns -- :points:

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@apgold Thank you for your awesome report! I stayed in my same seat the entire time. Sounds like moving around was a much better idea!!! Love your You Tube channel and the awesome Shoma video. I really loved the Mathieu Caron exhibit and loved meeting him. I didn't expect him to be so nice. I told him how much I loved his Shoma costumes and thanked him for all that he has done for the sport. Loved that he answered "I have a great team!".

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
So.glad you had a wonderful time, and sorry I missed a chance to greet you. I'm not sure if you remember, but we met in Milan at Worlds 2018. Wow,was that really 6 years ago?!?!...Start saving your money for Boston! Hope to see you there! Your crowns -- :points:
It's pretty apt, the Boston part, because quite few folks invited me there already/showed expectations to see me there:laugh:
Guess raise at work came at the correct time ;)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@apgold Thank you for your awesome report! I stayed in my same seat the entire time. Sounds like moving around was a much better idea!!! Love your You Tube channel and the awesome Shoma video. I really loved the Mathieu Caron exhibit and loved meeting him. I didn't expect him to be so nice. I told him how much I loved his Shoma costumes and thanked him for all that he has done for the sport. Loved that he answered "I have a great team!".
Glad you enjoyed reading my recap and watching videos. How cool you got to meet Mathieu at the booth! He wasn't there when I visited Saturday.

Regarding moving around the arena, I recommend doing that if events aren't sold out and you aren't taking somebody's seat.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad you enjoyed reading my recap and watching videos. How cool you got to meet Mathieu at the booth! He wasn't there when I visited Saturday.
Oh I met him, but in an embarrassing way . I wanted my photo taken with my banner showing the Bolero costume. Then I proceeded to knock the plastic thing on the floor that showed the photo of Shoma. My tote bag hit it, and it went flying. As I apologized profusely to the guy putting the plastic thing back together, I realized it was Mathieu. OMG. Not too embarrassing! :slink: My friend captured him putting the plastic thingie back together again!
20240320_121701.jpg20240320_121637.jpg

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Regarding moving around the arena, I recommend doing that if events aren't sold out and you aren't taking somebody's seat.
I did move around as well at first, especially during practices... but then, I was always afraid I would get kicked out from my "stolen" seat so I went back to where I belonged... During practices, i sat ice level... I have to say that I am quite used to seeing skaters from up close because of smaller events like Autumn Classic.... but I preferred seeing them from the 200 level. From ice level, you get to see the faces more and some of the details more but I feel better the ice coverage, the speed, the amplitude, the emotion-connection with music, from a bit further away. So yeah, my preferred area would be higher 100s or lower 200s but not ice level. Maybe the judges should sit a bit further LOL

My only regret is that I didn't go much around and didn't see costumes or greet and meet boots or anything... I did manage to see Patrick which was the ultimate thing for me... so I was all set... Whenever there was a short break, I got out of the arena as soon as possible. I wanted fresh air and food that wasn't as greasy and expensive as it was at the rink.

Also, i know you have mentioned the weather...If you thought this was bad, hehe ;) I will give you that : it was probably one the windiest, coldest week of the winter... but it didn't even reach -10 C. It snowed only one day.... We have had winters with much more snow, ice, and -35C. This year is one of the two warmest winters Montreal has known in over a century.

I hope Montreal and the ISU reconsider hosting worlds in my town. Bell Centre was just perfect. I was worried it would be empty but it was far from empty. There were a couple empty sections which are not good for watching skating anyways (obstructed views and what not) but it was a well attended event. My section was quite full, especially on Saturday. The gala was not as well attended but I expected as much. People with all event tickets are tired or on their way home. People who buy daily tickets may not feel like spending more just for a show when they had daily tickets for a whole day of skating for less money... In any case, I only went to the gala myself because Patrick was skating. I am not a gala type of person. I may change my mind in the future considering how good this gala went.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh I met him, but in an embarrassing way . I wanted my photo taken with my banner showing the Bolero costume. Then I proceeded to knock the plastic thing on the floor that showed the photo of Shoma. My tote bag hit it, and it went flying. As I apologized profusely to the guy putting the plastic thing back together, I realized it was Mathieu. OMG. Not too embarrassing! :slink: My friend captured him putting the plastic thingie back together again!
View attachment 7809View attachment 7810
LOL.. he is a handsome fellow. I would have probably knock the plastic thing down too being distracted by Mathieu :) while trying to look at Shoma's Sholero banner

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reliving the amazing Come Together one more time. At first.when he skated this in the ice shows, I wasn't too.enamoured of the costume. It does look good on the ice though. Love the way he throws his whole body into his.performance. Is this a "Don't count me out yet!" performance?!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Reliving the amazing Come Together one more time. At first.when he skated this in that ice shows, I wasn't too.enamoured of the costume. It does look good on the ice though. Love the way he throws his whole body into his.performance. Is this a "Don't count me out yet!" performance?!
I think it is. and if it isn't, what a way to finish ? You know, most of my ultimate favourite skaters have retired a while ago... but sometimes, they would grace me with another season... my advice for all fans : don't think about it... enjoy it while it's there... eventually, a favourite retires but don't waste any time thinking about the eventuality ;)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I hope Montreal and the ISU reconsider hosting worlds in my town. Bell Centre was just perfect.

Will disagree with my friend @4everchan here, in that the arena food was atrocious, and I got very, very tired of eating at the only two food kiosks that were open, and at the only other two options within walking distance, over the course of this week-long morning-to-late night event :)

All the more annoying as there is a huge food court with multiple options on the lower level of the arena which, I was told, is only opened for hockey.

Fabulous skating though—thoroughly enjoyable event!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I hope Montreal and the ISU reconsider hosting worlds in my town. Bell Centre was just perfect.

Will disagree with my friend @4everchan here, in that the arena food was atrocious, and I got very, very tired of eating at the only two food kiosks that were open, and at the only other two options within walking distance, over the course of this week-long morning-to-late night event :)

All the more annoying as there is a huge food court with multiple options on the lower level of the arena which, I was told, is only opened for hockey.

I never ate at the Bell Centre. There were many options five minutes walking distance. I did that. Cheaper, nicer and healthier options without the queue

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I never ate at the Bell Centre. There were many options five minutes walking distance. I did that. Cheaper, nicer and healthier options without the queue
And that is probably why you would be happy to have the Bell Centre host again :)

Seriously, of all the competitions I have attended, only Worldwide Arena in Colorado Springs for 4CC 2023 approached this level of food awfulness.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
PS. I cannot believe people only ate at the concessions while being in Montreal, a city known for it's great food scene
When you are unfamiliar with the city, at the event all day and night, cannot bring food in, and have only hour-long breaks between events, your options are pretty limited.

I did eat breakfast at Cora’s twice—and as an added bonus, encountered skaters in line both times—and I also found the lovely Pigeon coffee shop, in the shadow of the famous Leonard Cohen mural :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When you are unfamiliar with the city, at the event all day and night, cannot bring food in, and have only hour-long breaks between events, your options are pretty limited.

I did eat breakfast at Cora’s twice—and as an added bonus, encountered skaters in line both times—and I also found the lovely Pigeon coffee shop, in the shadow of the famous Leonard Cohen mural :)
Ask your friend Google or even @4everchan

Ziotic

Medalist
I was lucky, my hotel was a 3 minute walk, we upgraded to the club level which included breakfast and evening snacks from 5-7 so we got delicious food that was already out for the 5-6pm breaks!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was lucky, my hotel was a 3 minute walk, we upgraded to the club level which included breakfast and evening snacks from 5-7 so we got delicious food that was already out for the 5-6pm breaks!
Wow?! Which hotel were you at? Sounds perfect!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Agreed about the food and the fact that the food court wasn't even open - I had hoped they had planned to open it at least for the weekend crowd but alas they did not.

I did eat one meal at one of the onsite restaurants (Bazarette) and made a reservation for a friend and me for Thursday in between events. Their food was good and not too overpriced although we had to wait nearly an hour for our entrees to arrive. I had another post event meal at the Stanley restaurant at the Sheraton with some skating friends. Otherwise I ate my healthy snuck in (shh don't tell, lol) snacks which included carrot sticks, nuts and beef jerky sticks. And bought a couple of chicken salads from the arena vendors, overpriced and not good. I also picked up dinner from Mandy's salads on Rue Crescent Wed before going to the venue.

I visited Provigo across from the venue and they had a decent and reasonably priced takeout section of salads, sandwiches, and sushi, etc. It really would have been great to have the venue allow outside food. I remember when I attended US Nationals in San Jose back in 2018, they allowed in outside food, which was great. People would bring in meals and snacks from Whole Foods and security did not care one iota.

Last edited: