2023 NHK Trophy Men's Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023 NHK Trophy Men's Free Skate

Mirunna

Record Breaker
So Shoma gets q on all his qauds. Even though the 4loop and first 4T were one if his best attempts. So:
1. He always URs his quads and unfairly gets credit for them most times
2. This was an unfair panel

It really takes away from the overall enjoyment when the scoring from a competition to another makes no sense.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Why do I get this sad feeling...the sense of a generation of skaters changing over? 😭
Sadly, it will happen eventually~
When Yuzu was crowned a lot of the former top Man's fans acted in a disrespectful way and made the transition extremely uncomfortable
And though I've always adored Yuzu, I acknowledge that some of his fans can be very difficult as well
But from what I've seen throughout the years, Shoma's fans tend to be kind, gracious and respectful of his rivals and I admire them for that 🤗
Shoma could still very well retain the title of Japan's top man for many more seasons
But when the time comes for him to pass down the title, I'm sure his fans will be supportive of both him and his successor 😊

Last edited:

Holy Headband

On the Ice
So Shoma gets q on all his qauds. Even though the 4loop and first 4T were one if his best attempts. So:

It really takes away from the overall enjoyment when the scoring from a competition to another makes no sense.
Were you not already aware that "he always URs his quads and unfairly gets credit for them most times"? We've always known this.

Moon322

Rinkside

It's just an indication that judges are more behind Yuma and they want to see a new champion in Japan. Shoma's jumps weren't called previously and the TP/judges were always so lenient with him, and suddenly he has four 'q' calls at a home competition. Yeah, it's clear what it means.

Moon322

Rinkside
When Yuzu was crowned a lot of the former top Man's fans acted in a disrespectful way and made the transition extremely uncomfortable
And though I've always adored Yuzu, I acknowledge that many of his fans can be very difficult as well
But from what I've seen throughout the years, Shoma's fans tend to be kind, gracious and respectful of his rivals and I admire them for that 🤗
Shoma could still very well retain the title of Japan's top man for many more seasons
But when the time comes for him to pass down the title, I'm sure his fans will be supportive of both him and his successor 😊

Takahashi fans are still awful about Yuzu and his fans, even after a decade :rolleyes:

I don't think Shoma can remain Japan's top man for many years. His jumps have never been that consistent and he's getting more calls...the judges will back Yuma as we have seen it at this competition, too. His 2 quad program with a fall got almost the same score as Shoma with 4 quads. He's been around for many years and he also won't get any younger. He's turning 26 in a few weeks, he'd be 28 by Milano 2026. I am not sure he want to continue until then.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I'd rather have a strict panel that benefits skaters who fully rotate than a lenient panel. Some of the calls were very harsh (Shoma and Yuma were talking and joking about what a strict tech panel they had before the medal ceremony) but I think it's important to penalize URs to encourage skaters to learn the correct jump technique. And the panel was harsh to everyone, not just a few skaters, which again is very important.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Takahashi fans are still awful about Yuzu and his fans, even after a decade :rolleyes:

I don't think Shoma can remain Japan's top man for many years. His jumps have never been that consistent and he's getting more calls...the judges will back Yuma as we have seen it at this competition, too. His 2 quad program with a fall got almost the same score as Shoma with 4 quads. He's been around for many years and he also won't get any younger. He's turning 26 in a few weeks, he'd be 28 by Milano 2026. I am not sure he want to continue until then.
Lambiel has been hinting that Shoma may retire after this season and I think Shoma's attitude and programs back that up. That said, I assume he imagined he'd get to retire at the top of his game and not as Japan's second man. Who knows if Yuma's resurgence and the possible rise of Adam Siao Him Fa will motivate Shoma to stay longer or just embitter him.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Based on Shoma's comments made prior to the start of the season, he specifically took out a quad to make sure he was skating for himself, knowing that it would possibly take him out of contention with the other skaters. I'm sure he will be motivated by his silver medals, but I think his first priority right now is being happy with himself and how he performs, not winning gold medals. And I am 100% sure that he will not feel bitter about other skaters beating him when they skate better than he did - that is the nature of sport and Shoma is a wonderful sportsman.

readernick

Medalist
Lambiel has been hinting that Shoma may retire after this season and I think Shoma's attitude and programs back that up. That said, I assume he imagined he'd get to retire at the top of his game and not as Japan's second man. Who knows if Yuma's resurgence and the possible rise of Adam Siao Him Fa will motivate Shoma to stay longer or just embitter him.
Shoma always comes across as a very humble person. When you listen to him talk about his competitors, he is complimentary and he is very self-aware. He judges himself quite harshly. He's my favorite skater but I know he has very questionably quad technique. He knows it too. There are videos of him as a kid talking about how he liked step sequences not jumps because he isn't a good jumper.

If others beat him this year, I think he will take it in stride. He is two time world champion and two time silver medalist, he has an Olympic silver and bronze medal. He won junior worlds, the youth olympics, four continents, the junior and senior grand prix final. Very few skaters have a career as successful as Shoma's. Whether he retires as a World Champion or he gets 5th place, I think he will be fine and hopefully satisfied. He seems very happy this year. He appears to be enjoying competition.

I am just selfishly sad he is probably going to retire because while there are a lot of talented, artistic skaters Shoma and Jason are the two skaters whose skating really makes me feel something when I watch them.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Were you not already aware that "he always URs his quads and unfairly gets credit for them most times"? We've always known this.
If that is true, then there is a big issue that he got credit in the past. What I absolutely hate is that for this skate he can receive betweeen 186 and 200+, even 210, depending on the panel. My issue is how completely arbitrary it is. If ai remember correctly he got full credit for a clearly Ur’ed (ended in a fall) 4loop at 2018 Olympics which in the end was the decisive factor for him getting silver in front of Javier. That was so obviously Ur without the slow motion. Now he lands what is seemed to be one of his best 4loop and he gets ur.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to the medalists! Couldn't watch it live and so far have only seen the top 3. Good fight. Congratulations to Yuma for a great skate and for holding up under the pressure of being the "top dog"and having to skate last. I guess I don't think of his free skate music as a war horse, and I really like it.

I am liking Shoma's FS more and more. As he's starting to tire and then gets into that second half that requires a mixture of strength and stillness -- I don't know how he does it. I'm not so sure if he is skating to the music or he IS the music. Can't wait to see him at the Grand Prix Final. This was a very different season for him to start so late (no Challenger, no Japan Open, late GP), so I think he still is working on perfecting things.

Lukas. Well, I think his face is probably hurting today from smiling so much. Big congratulations! I thought the fight for the bronze would be very interesting, because it seemed like there were 2 or 3 guys who could have sneaked in there.

Great competition. Thx for the memories. Now to watch the rest of the guys!!!!!!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Can you imagine? I stayed up all night to watch the final 2-3 men compete. I passed out after Yuma's first 2 jumps... I woke up about 1 hour later, sitting in front of the computer. :) I ran to bed, and here I am still alive.

All I will say is that I am looking forward to watching Yuma's skate. He is a fabulous skater. I love Shoma's programs this year. He started his season a bit later than others, and I hope that means he will peak at worlds !

Lukas is a new favourite of mine since last year. Looking at his profile, I realize that he has been competing for a few years in the senior rank but was pretty much unknown as ranked lower. I am glad that he is skating as well as he is and that he won his first medal on the GP circuit.

I cannot forget to talk about Frangipani. I really like his skating and i just wish that consistency will be given to him by Santa at Xmas.

Canadian men keep struggling on the GP circuit, Of course, only 2 of them had 2 outings. Skate Canada needs to do something about this, for instance sending the men out to challengers and giving them opportunities to compete.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Stephane's choreo (as I said a few posts ago - I LOVE this free), but I would very much like to see what Rohene could create for Shoma. I think he could push Shoma to something absolutely magical.
To me, the more choreographers he would try, the better. How about Rohene, Tom Dickson, Marie France, Lori Nichol, Sandra Bezic, many others. I've mentioned Rohene before. That would be the Dynamic Duo / Dream Team, etc.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And though I've always adored Yuzu, I acknowledge that some of his fans can be very difficult as well
Thank you for your kind words, @tsuyoboogie . I too respect Yuzuru, though I don't usually engage with his fan community due how difficult they can be sometimes. It's funny, I bought tickets to the 2018 GPF with the intention of seeing Yuzuru there, but seeing Shoma for the first time made such a big impression on me that it made me curious about him, which led me to becoming his fan. 😂 The kindness of Shoma's fan community was certainly a factor in this, and I hope his fans continue to be kind... Being in his corner simply feels like the right place for me. 😊

As a fan of men's skating since the 2002 Olympics, I have seen my fair share of skaters come and go, but seeing Shoma go would hit closer to home for me than others. Having gone to several competitions to see Shoma in person (including last year's and this year's world championships), I have developed a deep attachment towards seeing him skate... The fact that his free skate is autobiographical this year feels like twisting the knife in this fan's heart, continually reminding me that his time is limited, like a ballerina in a music box slowly winding down and coming to a stop... Whenever he leaves the scene, it's going to leave a big hole in my heart and I'm just not ready for that yet. 😢 I hope he has some type of happy ending, some type of closure in whatever form that may take...

Of course, you know I admire many of the Japanese men and I will happily support them if they decide to take up Shoma's mantle (I have a feeling I will be using your Kao banner for years to come! ). 😊

sworddance21

On the Ice
I am just selfishly sad he is probably going to retire because while there are a lot of talented, artistic skaters Shoma and Jason are the two skaters whose skating really makes me feel something when I watch them.
I agree with you on this 100 percent. Jason and Shoma are just incredible artists. I am not going to say that others won't get there, (and I like Yuma) but their innate ability to embody the music, coupled with their skating skills, put them on a different level from anyone else still competing.