2023 Skate America Women's Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Women's Free Skate

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Loena actually IS a shy person. And humble. She is a complete opposite of what one may think she is after watching her programs.
Loena has this ability to make any choreography to work, to give life to any choreography either she likes it or no. My dream would be for her with Shae-Lynn Bourne but it very unlikely ever will happen.
I believe Shae-Lynn would have given Loena programs she deserves, the programs which showcase a real Loena..
This actually doesn’t surprise me. A lot of great performers are not like the “character” they play, on ice or on a stage. I wish more figure skating fans would realize this… I’ve seen so many comments calling Madison Chock a mean diva, for example, clearly assuming her performance is her real personality, when literally no one who knows her has ever described her that way, nor does she come across as a “diva” or resentful of others in interviews or podcasts.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Gutted for Amber. But that triple axel is one of the best I think I've seen.. and she finally landed it in competition, so that's a victory.

Lovely program for Isabeau Levito (though not a fan of the costume distracting from her arm lines). Thrilled for Niina. Loena was absolutely fabulous. A clear cut above the rest.

Also- Mana Kawabe seems to be looking more confident and like she copes better with the stress of competition. I like the maturity she's bringing to her presentation this season and I think with a clean skate she could be a real standout.

withwings

On the Ice
As an American my apologies.. no excuses here. And the Estonian flag is beautiful..

Thank you.
In the heat of emotions (shock, disbelieve) during competition I was not able to say this only left heart emoji to your post.. Your post at that moment helped a lot. Thank you very much for your good and responsive heart.
Estonian flag IS beautiful!

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you.
In the heat of emotions (shock, disbelieve) during competition I was not able to say this only left heart emoji to your post.. Your post at that moment helped a lot. Thank you very much for your good and responsive heart.
Estonian flag IS beautiful!
Appreciate your thoughts; I am still at a loss.. there were a few errors like this during the event. Perhaps there were too many volunteers without professional supervision in key positions. Given Estonia’s presence in international skating - Eva, Arlet, the brothers Selevko and Niina - the flag was missed. Be aware that the majority here felt the same. A lesson learned

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
According to Amber Glenn she got over excited on her program by landing the 3A so we'll added to the excitement of the crowd her program was affected.

Dawn825

Medalist
Not a popular opinion I'm sure but I had Isabeau ahead technically in both program, in the FS by quite a lot. Loena URd every single jump but her axels.

Dawn825

Medalist
With all the love to Loena. I love what she's bringing to the sport and all the success she's having with it.
Isabeau's programs have significantly more choreography to them, while Loena is relying mostly on armography, which is great for the performance but not for the composition score. Her real skating strength is shown in the SP. She barely uses crossovers to gain speed, she's racing around just on the strength of her strokes.

ChiGal

Rinkside
I hope she gets some feedback after this comp. Point one: knock that crap off. Point two: Less posing and dancing in place.

It's clear she likes this type of music/program, and although not my cup of tea, I won't ding her for that.
See, I would ding her. That ridiculous posing and vamping ON THE JUDGES TABLE is inappropriate. I saw that several other skaters across the 4 disciplines have latched on to this stupid trend. I hope the USU creates a new rule, called the "Hendrick's Rule". No hanging onto or vamping in front of the judges table...should ding them as if it was a fall. As a part of normal "gliding by" choreography, fine. But stopping a program for this seems like a sly way to rest the arms and legs. And the leg kick/crotch flash at the end? Hope she doesn't mis-judge her distance and slash a judge with her blade.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
See, I would ding her. That ridiculous posing and vamping ON THE JUDGES TABLE is inappropriate. I saw that several other skaters across the 4 disciplines have latched on to this stupid trend. I hope the USU creates a new rule, called the "Hendrick's Rule". No hanging onto or vamping in front of the judges table...should ding them as if it was a fall. As a part of normal "gliding by" choreography, fine. But stopping a program for this seems like a sly way to rest the arms and legs. And the leg kick/crotch flash at the end? Hope she doesn't mis-judge her distance and slash a judge with her blade.
I meant I wouldn't ding her for the music choice, even if I don't particularly like it.

The vamping (great word, BTW!)... that's fair game IMO if the judge wanted to send a message. As a professional courtesy, I might send the first message as a feedback note. The second message would be a smack to the choreography PCS.

And I agree with you this trend should be stopped immediately. It's unattractive.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think Loena deserved to win, but I wasn't feeling the choreography and it was almost like she had a staredown with that one judge! Not my cup of tea. Her programs have an exhibition feel IMO but including all the jumps.

I was happy for Isabeau to get a silver medal at Skate America for the 2nd year in a row. It sounds like she really loves her programs and wants to fine tune them before she goes to France for her 2nd Grand Prix event in 2 weeks!

And finally Amber did the triple axel! She was probably skating on adrenaline after that until the second half when it all came tumbling down around her. I felt so bad for her and hope she does better next time. The highs and lows of figure skating competitions are not for the faint of heart!

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh good grief.
Have a sense of humour! It's meant to be entertaining!

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
I agree that it is not appropriate. It is an intrusion on the judges' space. And to do it at the end of a programme is stupid because we want to see the skater more or less in the middle of the ice for the final pose.

The ISU should do something to stop this trend.

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
I agree that it is not appropriate. It is an intrusion on the judges' space. And to do it at the end of a programme is stupid because we want to see the skater more or less in the middle of the ice for the final pose.

The ISU should do something to stop this trend.

Well Kevin did that as well, and it really added to his program. Policing everything destroys things.