2023 Cup of China Women's Free Skate | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2023 Cup of China Women's Free Skate

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
This is very fair. Let's praise the judging ;)

I agree, let's all praise the judging for once :points:

People have been saying that Loena's been "picked" to be propped up this season and will get high scores no matter what.... well, she didn't here. Not even enough for silver.

I agree with the result, though I feel a bit bad for Rinka after putting the 2 cleanest skates here. But Hana has better presentation. I hope this will push Rinka to clean up her URs and to perform more.

Skating91

Medalist
while I agree with the general sentiment, I think this particular remix is actually pretty awful
I think the short program is crass with the costume, but I did like the second half of the program once the jumps were out of the way it played to her strengths. The choreography of this free is nothing though so empty. I don't understand how they are scoring her PCS (in both programs). The way Hanretty was promoting her makes me feel it's like some concerted campaign to make her and Isabeau the non-Asian faces/hopes of the sport. The PCS has no basis with reality.

Skating91

Medalist
I agree, let's all praise the judging for once :points:

People have been saying that Loena's been "picked" to be propped up this season and will get high scores no matter what.... well, she didn't here. Not even enough for silver.

I agree with the result, though I feel a bit bad for Rinka after putting the 2 cleanest skates here. But Hana has better presentation. I hope this will push Rinka to clean up her URs and to perform more.
70 for PCS though. In a program plagued by errors. It's not like there was incredible technical content to drag the PCS up.

icewhite

Record Breaker
70 for PCS though. In a program plagued by errors. It's not like there was incredible technical content to drag the PCS up.

That's a specific look on PCS though, isn't it? I hear that again and again... but actually PCS should be pretty independent (not totally independent, but mostly) from the TES. Sure, if there are falls and everything looks messy the presentation score needs to suffer and there's a certain cap on skating skills. But overall those are just two different aspects of skating which should each make up 50%. Otherwise we don't need PCS.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Some people forget the many hard falls some Russian skaters would take... Some GS fans even had "names' for such falls. Not every single Russian skater was stellar and flawless.
I'm not praising the Russians here. I was simply pointing out that they forced people to try to skate at a higher level to compete. I don't think that is really debateble. As far as fairness in scoring and technique used, that's another issue with this sport.

Skating91

Medalist
Sorry to go on about this, but the PCS for Hendrickx is off the charts. Yesterday she pops the double axel and a q in her combo. 35 PCS. The second half of the program was good but she had a blank expression for the first half. Rinka 30 PCS.

Today 70 PCS in a disaster skate in an empty program that had no power in the second half, Rinka 65 in a really clean, solid skate.

10 points PCS is a massive head start in a field where the winning score is just over 200.

These were probably world record PCS for this kind of technical content and the number of errors in Hendrickx's programs.

I thought maybe I'm misremembering things so went back a couple year to 2021-22 GP of France. One of the most beautiful gliders of all time skated a mistake free program and got 35 PCS. Then 70 PCS for a free skate where the only error was a fall on a triple axel.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Sorry to go on about this, but the PCS for Hendrickx is off the charts. Yesterday she pops the double axel and a q in her combo. 35 PCS. The second half of the program was good but she had a blank expression for the first half. Rinka 30 PCS.

Today 70 PCS in a disaster skate in an empty program that had no power in the second half, Rinka 65 in a really clean, solid skate.

10 points PCS is a massive head start in a field where the winning score is just over 200.

These were probably world record PCS for this kind of technical content and the number of errors in Hendrickx's programs.
Because they tried to save her. It just happened last week. They just weren't able to give her a big enough cushion in the short, even though they tried.

icewhite

Record Breaker

what bothers me way more is that her program is basically empty - there's a lot of frantic armography, but no actual choreography
I know that both her and her choreographer can do a lot better
I guess it's supposed to give her some breath for the jumps and spins, but it surely does not deserve such high PCS, especially in composition.

The technical content and number of errors are really not a problem in my eyes, since she didn't even have a fall and her spins looked nice - so the overall aesthetics of the program were not really affected.

Schizas definitely deserved higher PCS, especially in presentation, but well... when the placement of the medallists overall feels correct I am usually not getting enraged. Schizas' short was just underwhelming.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
This was a skate marred by pops of Broussard. From positives though I'd mention attention to detail but he will likely not get a high PCS as he's unknown and also because he was losing a lot of steam towards the end.

Joekaz

On the Ice
what bothers me way more is that her program is basically empty - there's a lot of frantic armography, but no actual choreography
I guess it's supposed to give her some breath for the jumps and spins, but it surely does not deserve such high PCS, especially in composition.

The technical content and number of errors are really not a problem in my eyes, since she didn't even have a fall and her spins looked nice - so the overall aesthetics of the program were not really affected.

Schizas definitely deserved higher PCS, especially in presentation, but well... when the placement of the medallists overall feels correct I am usually not getting enraged. Schizas' short was just underwhelming.
Definitely agree about the arms. Distracting to the point of being annoying. Usually the sign of lack of confidence in actual skating ability.

Dawn825

Medalist

Agreed, the problem with her pcs isn't that she made mistakes - even perfect the programs are empty of real choreography and her comp score should be in the 7s.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I agreet 24 been the main cutoff for final since inception . There was only a few times that it was lower or higher. I don't want to jinx it.
It is quite possible as she wins any tiebreaker with a 24 score... and at this point, not many skaters can get 24 or higher except those we are expecting to win :)

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
These 3 skaters all need to do is finish 2nd at either Finland (Kaori , C. Kim and NHK Nina Pinzzarone Kaori has 15 and both Chaeyong and Nina has 13.

Rion has 11 she wins she in 2nd would give her 24

Haein needs to win Nhk to get in

However these women can upset rank
They all have 7 if win put below Hana
Wakaba and Lindsay both skate at NHk.
Amber at Finland.

Yes likely Hana in but not guaranteed. Haein needs Tobe Hana total score of 394.94

Good luck to all.