2023 Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate Canada Free Dance

rain

Record Breaker
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs: The choice of programs for this team always baffles me. It's always a miss (though I did like their RD a lot more than the judges). Lord of the Dance just seems dated.

Janse van Rensburg/Steffan: I like the second half of this tango quite a bit, and loved the two lifts in the second half.

Fabri/Ayer: It was a lovely program, but not a standout program. They need a standout program if they hope to move up in Canadian ice dance.

Pate/Bye: Love the first part of the curve lift. Why this music for this pair? They don't seem to have any connection to it and I don't get why this would be the choice. They are performing choreography, and performing it pretty well, but there's no investment. Who is this team? I cannot tell from this dance.

Zingas/Kolesnik: This team has "it". Great amplitude. Excellent final lift. This is a great program for them. Some twizzle issues. I think the other teams in the U.S. need to take note of this team.

Brown/Brown: They are a good team, but they don't have the zing that Z/K have. They just don't reach out like Zingas/Kolesnik do. That straight-line lift was a little scary as he had to drag his free foot. Surprised they finished ahead. Not the choice I would have made. Good speed and flow over the ice.

Reed/Ambrulevicius: Conceptually sort of interesting (ripped from Keone and Mari on World of Dance, ahem), but the choreography wasn't nearly quirky or modern enough to match the music. It was just kinda there. I liked the choreo spin. The choreo step at the end was the best part. I didn't think this should have beaten either of the previous American teams, honestly.

Fear/Gibson: I had not previously seen this much-debated Rocky program. Like the final lift. Hated the awkward roll over his shoulders into the rotational lift. Don't think this is what they need to get them on the worlds podium. I didn't mind the skipping. Hated the push-ups. Not my favourite, but I'm not offended. I don't think this challenges the top teams. Overmarked.

And I already gushed about how much I love Piper and Paul, so I'll leave it at that.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Dann, Piper and Paul. I think in terms of the music I like Evita better (but I have to watch this more often, then it'll probably engrave itself in my brain). I don't know how they managed to make this program both lyrical and nenacing at the same time but they did it. They should be able to win worlds with it if the gods are willing. And they would do deserve it!

F/G...well. I wanted to like it. I love the Rocky music. But not with these weird cuts and that modernised, sloooow Eye of the Tiger part. The program somehow felt disjointed, there are a lot of kinks to work out. No idea who thought sit-ups would be a good idea. Still, there are some cool elements, and they had a lot of energy as usual.

R/A Beautiful to watch but they left be cold emotionally. Sometimes tgeuf programs feel overconceptualised. Or rather, the concept and the costumes dudng match each other and the music.

The Brown's look very fast and they seem to have a lot of fun, but something about them feels a bit childish still, despite the music. I like their RD, but the free was kinda whelming. Might have been the costumes. Dark blue must be the most boring color in the world apart from nude.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
2007 Ice Dance, a whole different Pangea times :laugh:
Maybe it's time though for me to do a little 'blast from the past' re-watching (if there are full events on YT)?

I'm not sure whether there are full events on YT (as in also there being warm-ups) but I think you can find every individual performance from 2007 World Championships on YT.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure whether there are full events on YT (as in also there being warm-ups) but I think you can find every individual performance from 2007 World Championships on YT.
IF its out there it is in the rewatch (see the fan fest area)