2023 World Junior Men's Free Skate | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2023 World Junior Men's Free Skate

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't want to seem to like a "Harpy" however, my disappointment in the US Singles Skaters is still on my mind. We were the reigning champions in Both events, and to see our skaters perform this way was shocking. Ilia and Isabeau were so amazing that I thought our young skaters would be inspired by them. Like I said, I did not follow Juniors this season so, maybe I should have expected this. Those who follow Juniors, was this a surprise, or was this expected? I certainly didn't see us losing our 3rd on both disciplines.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't want to seem to like a "Harpy" however, my disappointment in the US Singles Skaters is still on my mind. We were the reigning champions in Both events, and to see our skaters perform this way was shocking. Ilia and Isabeau were so amazing that I thought our young skaters would be inspired by them. Like I said, I did not follow Juniors this season so, maybe I should have expected this. Those who follow Juniors, was this a surprise, or was this expected? I certainly didn't see us losing our 3rd on both disciplines.
I didn't think US men singles skaters would naturally medal as there were better skaters present but I think Lucas had an outside chance depending on his going clean and three others making errors. But I thought between him and Robert who dropped out (injury?) they might retain the three spots. Women I thought were not going to medal. To get to the magic 13 aggregate would not have been easy but within the realm of possibility. I didn't expect then to lose two spots which almost happened. It was not a great comp for a lot of singles here. It was sad with a few exceptions.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Losing the third spot was absolutely expected for the junior women. The Japanese and Korean junior ladies dominated the JGP circuit and were the only ones to qualify for the final. The junior ladies at Junior Nationals were also mediocre, as well. They were not going to keep three spots; however, they shouldn’t have been a position where they could lose two, either.

The junior men should have been able to keep their three spots, however. All three of them could have made top 10. Broussard won both JGPs and won the Silver at the Final. Yampolsky also medalled at one JGP and made the Final. I think he could have made top 5. At least top 10 easily. I think Yampolsky’s withdrawal is more of a factor than Broussard’s underperformance.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I didn’t expect Broussard to under-deliver, because he was very stable. I understand why Xhi folded, because he was a last minute substitute. Martynov did his job quietly and competently. He is very, very good, but he needs a free with more content. Martynov overperformed as third, Broussard underperformed as first. Xhi was not anywhere near Yampolskiy. That’s all.

With US women, I expected a fail, because US didn’t leave a single lead skater of experience to spearhead the other two (I said 100 times they should have sent Thoringren) and all three of them lacked experience or anything that compensates for it (like with Levito).

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I didn’t expect Broussard to under-deliver, because he was very stable. I understand why Xhi folded, because he was a last minute substitute. Martynov did his job quietly and competently. He is very, very good, but he needs a free with more content. Martynov overperformed as third, Broussard underperformed as first. Xhi was not anywhere near Yampolskiy. That’s all.

With US women, I expected a fail, because US didn’t leave a single lead skater of experience to spearhead the other two (I said 100 times they should have sent Thoringren) and all three of them lacked experience or anything that compensates for it (like with Levito).
I agree. Lindsey could have placed top six but for three spots US would have needed a 7th or above and none of them were capable. Claire would have been bumped to 8th so not good enough. Ziegler maybe?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Was Lindsay given the opportunity and turned it down? She's not on the Senior World Team, I'm surprised they didn't send her as the reigning Bronze Medalist.

Last edited:

Holy Headband

On the Ice
It was pretty expected IMO. I thought people had inflated expectations of Broussard, who got lucky on the JGP circuit/JGPF several times in terms of the field of skaters he had to face and the form they were in, or he wouldn't have placed so well with his lighter tech content. Still, the fact Yampolsky withdrew and Broussard had a bad FS in the same event was an unfortunate coincidence for the US. In ladies there was never any way for the US to match up against Japan and Korea.

Last edited: