2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme

The problem with this idea is that it is about the music / idea and not about the dancing.
The required steps will be similar, only the music changes.

I think I liked the old OSP better. We got some great Latin and Blues dances from those.
What I miss are the pattern dances. The viewers got to see the actual steps of the various dances that form the basis of the sport.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
My first (sarcastic) thought is “and I can’t wait for the season after when the theme will be… RHYTHM! Not any particular rhythm, just rhythm. Anything with a beat, and even that is negotiable.”

At this rate they might as well give up on the idea of having a “theme” at all, since apparently it’s getting more generic and easier to fudge every year.

icewhite

Record Breaker
For next year I recommend "emotion", then they could do "movement", and I think "sound" would be a great idea, too. Oh, and what about the theme "two people dancing together?"! That would allow so many great programs and offer a lot of diversity!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And I thought having a decade as a theme was bad! :drama:

The ISU are making Ice Dance into a joke.

I know the TV broadcasters won't like it, but it is time that Ice Dance went back to the Compulsory Dance, Original Dance, Free Dance format.

The Pattern Dance segments that the Novice levels continue to do have proved that you can have a wide variety of music even though the actual footwork is the same. So, it is definitely possible that the same could happen for the Juniors and Seniors in a revived Compulsory Dance.

The only thing that led to everybody dancing to the same two or three pieces of music in the Compulsory Dance was lack of imagination on the part of the teams. But we have had a lot of new choreographers coming in in the past few years, mostly skaters that have recently retired. Surely they can be more imaginative.

CaroLiza_fan

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
So the source of the rumour herself says the description is vague and it comes across like she's not entirely sure but don't let that stop you all complaining about a bunch of assumptions.

These responses do highlight the the tendency toward snobbery (and a lack of sense of humour) amongst figure skating fans. You might be happy to go back to the 'good old days' but interest in the sport was dwindling. At least the ISU is trying something different to attract people into the sport (as an athlete or viewer). It may or may not be successful. But they need to try.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So the source of the rumour herself says the description is vague and it comes across like she's not entirely sure but don't let that stop you all complaining about a bunch of assumptions.

These responses do highlight the the tendency toward snobbery (and a lack of sense of humour) amongst figure skating fans. You might be happy to go back to the 'good old days' but interest in the sport was dwindling. At least the ISU is trying something different to attract people into the sport (as an athlete or viewer). It may or may not be successful. But they need to try.
Wow, way to be positive there. It's not okay for us to call the sport out---it makes us snobs, but it's ok for one to judge our posts, right? :palmf:

Some of us have competitively skated all three segments that made what ice dance is. And by doing what the ISU has done over the past few years, they have completely made a joke of my discipline. There needs to be a technical (compulsory) base for it, w/o it what is the point of even having ice dance? I have thought this over time with the changes but kept my educated and competitive fingers off the keyboard to that extent. That is what defined which teams should be placed where they were. ID is about timing, rhythm, PATTERN, edges, edge quality, hold and so many other things.

The ISU got lazy and decided to just let it be what it is and not have the requirements and basis that makes it a truly different and difficult and amazing discipline.

Call me a SNOB if you want, but if you really lived it and saw what the discipline has become, then you'd be calling for similar things, I want the best for the sport and athletes.
I have quite a sense of humour, but you know what I call embarrassing and ridiculous for this discipline??! No real pattern dance (ID is supposed to be the closest thing to ballroom dance on ice) and 18 y/o's dancing around throwing their bodies all over to "Pour Some Sugar On Me" like they're out for a hot night in the club or in a music video 35 years ago. And no, I'm not trying to be rude, judgemental or condescending. But there is a place and time for things that have been happening in dance, and the RD isn't it. If that makes me (and others here) "snobbish" then so be it.

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker

I think it's clear that we are responding to this in case it's true. If it's not and they have a better theme, great.

If you are complaining about a lack of humour you are right though. I don't see the pointe in choosing the theme "movie". Unless you mean the hilarity of having a theme that's already used over and over without it being a theme. There is absolutely zero inspiration in this.
Looking at the programs thread, his season's free dances include the soundtracks of: Umbrellas of C, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Rocky, Interstellar, Mixed soundtracks by Guignard and Fabbri, West Side Story, The Perfume, Aladdin, Addams Family, Schindler's List, James Bond, Game of Thrones, Memoirs of a Geisha, Chicago, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Moulin Rouge...

Maybe if they disallow musicals among the movies we can erase some of the usual suspects, but I absolutely fail to see the necessity of a topic "movies".

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Didn't they start trying in the 2019-2020 season with musicals? I thought that was a good idea for them to try.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Back in the day, one of the requirements for ice dancing to be accepted as an Olympic sport was the requirement for an objective standard by which to judge the competitors. That standard was the compulsory dances - a series of technical movements set to a clearly defined tempo and judged based on the correct execution of said steps and correct use of tempo. With such broad themes, it seems to many of us that the sport is becoming less defined and risks losing Olympic status. Let’s face it even rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming have defined rules and not just themes like Fun in the Sun.