2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Women LP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Women LP

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why did they even commit Kaiya to the YOG isn't that competition for younger skaters Ruiter is skating as a Senior now internationally and almost 18. Because of this stupidity Skate Canada now they can't send their National Champion to 4CC for one final try to get the minimums for Worlds. Why didn't they just send someone else to the YOG instead? To add insult to injury they will probably send her to Junior Worlds yet again this time as Senior champion. I hope she pulls a Ashley Wagner and declines to go to JW just like Ashley did when she made the podium in 2010 but didn't make the Olympic team and the USFS wanted to send her to JW's for a 3rd time.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why did they even commit Kaiya to the YOG isn't that competition for younger skaters Ruiter is skating as a Senior now internationally and almost 18. Because of this stupidity Skate Canada now they can't send their National Champion to 4CC for one final try to get the minimums for Worlds. Why didn't they just send someone else to the YOG instead? To add insult to injury they will probably send her to Junior Worlds yet again as Senior champion.
YOG you must be born between 1 January 2006 and 31 December 2009. Kaiya was too young for 2020, so this is her only chance. She will qualify for 4CC in the future. Personally, I would never give up the chance of YOG.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems ridiculous it would be like a US Ladies champion like Isabeau Levito or someone else giving up 4CC for YOG which would never happen. It seems like YOG is for younger Junior skaters not ones have moved up and are a top skater in their own country like Kaiya who was a contender to win the Senior title. Alysa Lui was of age to go in 2020 after winning another US Senior title but the USFS probably never even thought to sending her and sent lower rank Junior girls instead.

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Seems ridiculous it would be like a US Ladies champion like Isabeau Levito or someone else giving up 4CC for YOG which would never happen. It seems like YOG is for younger Junior skaters not ones have moved up and are a top skater in their own country like Kaiya who was a contender to win the Senior title. Alysa Lui was of age to go in 2020 after winning another US Senior title but the USFS probably never even thought to sending her and sent lower rank Junior girls instead.

It was a choice that Kaiya made and an assignment that she wanted. Korea is sending their national champion, why can't Canada?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well... Levito is giving up on 4CC anyways... and for what?

Reverie

On the Ice
I know I am late to this party thread about YOG, but in looking at the list tonight of who is going, IMO I think this is strategically smart as it will give Kaiya a sense of how the international judges view her against fellow "older" juniors heading into Junior Worlds. Both Mao Shimada and Jia Shin are going to YOG. For the women's field in particular, this is looking like a great competition to watch.