2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance

icewhite

Record Breaker
I felt like Weaver is not a fan of Lauriault/Le Gac... in comparison she was pretty negative about them...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I felt like Weaver is not a fan of Lauriault/Le Gac... in comparison she was pretty negative about them...
what she pointed out is that technically they are not as sound as some of the other top teams... and i guess, as a former ice dancer herself of the highest level, I could see why she needs more than brilliant choreo and interpretation to get floored by a team.

rain

Record Breaker
Piper and Paul's FD is just everything. I thought the beginning looked sharper and more improved from earlier in the season, while all the big wow moments are still there. No matter how many times I see this I never get tired of it. I'll see some other little detail that I love.

Lots of great programs here today. I especially enjoyed Robinson/Portz, who I think have what it takes to move up, Bronsard/Richmond with their unique Indigenous theme, Bashynska/Beaumont, who were stunning in spite of the unfortunate glitch, Hensen/Lickers, Fabri/Ayer for having a moment, even if their music choices aren't my favourite, Lauriault/Le Gac bringing it with one of my favourite programs of the season, and of course Piper and Paul for being iconic.

rain

Record Breaker
The score sheets are interesting. Piper and Paul just about maxed out their levels here. Their dance spin is their lowest scoring element in terms of GOE. Since they're in the tweaking stage I wonder if they'll take a look at what they can do with it. They need to absolutely max out everything they can for worlds with the politics being what they are.

rain

Record Breaker
As tough as it is that two top teams pulled out, this dance event was very enjoyable, and it was amazing to the see the excitement of Lauriault/Le Gac and Fabri/Ayer taking home national medals they were not expecting a week ago. Both teams skated their hearts out to earn those spots and they were very well deserved. Canada has such a deep dance field.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I've watched. Just in the process of gathering my thoughts after what P² did to my state yet again.

If this is the last season, I'll remember it as if it was their first one - the thing I'd like to thank them the most is the fact that each and every season a different team stepped onto the ice. Team that may not always have smooth sailing technically, team that was boxed as 'quirky' and unusual (which usually mean no mainstream success of hardware). But a team that always remained tru to what they laid 10 years ago at Worlds in the form of 'Hitchcock' FD. I find it somewhat ironic (or maybe iconic is the word?) that Wuthering Heights FD reminds me of that first 'memory splash' they've made internationally - that intense sense of suspense (now that's a mouthful hehe), the underlying layers over what we hear and what we see. The deception of paleness of costumes, yet shimmering of them coming out with each movement. The ever-changing tightrope walk between light and dark in movement and expression. How both of them are totally doing 'their thing'/standing out as separate figures, yet it's so natural to picture them telling that story together.
I'm biased and whole GS and their mothers know this, so you can treat this as rambling, but - I'm glad they stayed and made such program, their interpretation of story (by their own brand of storytelling) come to life and vision. Program that scratched me deeply, visually and emotionally, in different way than Vincent FD did, but with similar intensity (and, incidentally, at the similar challenging time in my life like it was with Vincent).

Also - it was a privilege to have an opportunity to chat back in November with Coach Carol Lane in Espoo, also about this FD of Piper and Paul. The way it spreads it wings is exactly what I want to believe they all had in mind. And I'm thrilled about it.

IF I make to Montreal, I better already prepare myself for seeing this live. Tissues and all.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Few more thoughts.

I wish I could erase that fall of Peter, I really do. I hope he and Nadiia will treat this as 'rite of passage' element and lesson to apply in future. This is really one of my favourite programs this season - yeah, a warhorse, BUT: suits them to the T imho, music is perfectly put together/arranged, choreography well facilitates skating, performance and emoting, it allows them to create characters. They did look tense though - that also should be a lesson. RD was fire. Onwards and upwards, ONLY.

Biggest growers? Hensen/Lickers, by a mile. It may sound stupid what I'm going to say (not the first, CERTAINLY not the last stupid thing I say skating-wise...), but absence of some of 'big hitters/slotted medallists' allowed me to take a closer look and focus on those up-and-coming teams, not exactly destined to the very top. Hensen/Lickers really cane with skates blazing: program fit, execution, packaging, emotion, performance quality. They had everything today. I know my pleas won't make a difference, but SEND THEM INTERNATIONALLY TO COMPETE, A LOT!

I remember comments before pandemic about Fabbri/Ayer. 'She's too fat/too tall for him'. 'He's too short for her, they will split'. Well, IN YOUR FACE I'd say.
Not mu cup of program, that FD, BUT - I truly appreciate when work is put to not only improve partnering/technical side of a team, but also performance and emotional. I feel that they've improved their presentation a lot and it shows in easiness of their presence and skating on the ice. Vanity corner - LOVED that purple shade of dress and bodice cut on Alicia. Just happy they had their time, moment there - and I sure hope they can capitalise on it because imho they are one of more underrated teams.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
People drive everywhere anyway, lol, so I don't accept that excuse.
Try leaving your car unplugged for 12 hours straight in -31 degrees weather, lol. Mom and I went for the whole day because my husband gave us a ride. It is seriously dangerous if you left the facility in the dark, with windchill in -40s, and the car didn't start. Plus, the roads are as icy as the skating rink itself. Honestly, I was surprised so many people turned up rather than the opposite.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ice dance was great! @4everchan was right, and in FD, Ga/Th really didn't look like anything to write home about, while Fa/Ay showed a fairly long part ofnthe dance where there was the beginning of the power charge I liked so much about Hubbel/Donahue in the past.

Mom didn't get the dance in green outfits with either marine or ethnic theme, but I thought it had something. I also like Exogenous guys, despite the music being a war horse. I think they did nice.

I adored Corpse Bride, and Piper&Paul were on tonight, so this was a great double finale for the ID!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
It's a lot warmer in Victoria than Calgary. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-wind-chill-frost-bite-1.7079216 Could be what's keeping folks home...
That's what I assumed. Even in the arena, I noticed there were a lot of spectators huddled in blankets. I have relatives in Calgary and Edmonton. One of them said she had to spread newspapers on her mudroom floor and try to persuade her embarrassed elderly dog it was all right for him to use the papers instead of going outside :console:. @corni lives in Novosibirsk, and she reported temperatures in Siberia warmer than those in Alberta.

icewhite

Record Breaker
what she pointed out is that technically they are not as sound as some of the other top teams... and i guess, as a former ice dancer herself of the highest level, I could see why she needs more than brilliant choreo and interpretation to get floored by a team.

yeah it just stood out to me because she was only having orgasms about the other teams and not suggesting any weaknesses of theirs