2024 Challenge Cup | Feb 22-25 | Golden Skate

2024 Challenge Cup | Feb 22-25

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2024 Challenge Cup will take place Feb 22-25, 2024, in Tilburg, Netherlands. The event will feature the Singles (Women and Men), Pairs and Ice Dance discipline in the Senior and Junior division. The Novice will feature the Singles (Women and Men). The competition will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 ISU Constitution and General Regulations, the ISU Special Regulations & Technical Rules for Single & Pair Skating, the Technical Rules for Ice Dance 2023/24 (ISU Communication 2560), and relevant ISU Communications.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
To my great regret, the live stream needs to be paid (don't know the cost yet, just there's money to be paid). It is free to watch if you come in person (just registration to note how many people will be attending).

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I… haven’t watched much FS lately. Not sure if I will attend this year. Kaori live is always fun, though.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
While looking through the Entries, I noticed that as well as the usual Substitutes, some of the skaters / partnerships, such as my kids Barbora KUCIÁNOVÁ / Martin BIDAŘ (CZE) in Senior Pairs, are listed as Reserves. This is despite there being no other entries from their country.

Does this mean that the Challenge Cup is, I can't believe I'm saying this, over-subscribed?! 😲

You don't see that happen very often!

I do feel sorry for the skaters and Feds involved, having to wait for somebody to drop out before they can get in.

Could the organisers not just have increased the length of the competitions to let everybody compete? Or are there strict opening times at the venue, and they had to limit the entries in order to keep everything within those times? I'm guessing extending to an extra day wasn't an option, either due to other events, or the cost.

It's a shame for the skaters, but at the same time in a way it's good to see that so many want to compete at this event.

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Oh, no worries, plenty of entries usually disappear before the actual event. Those reserves will get their chance. (Assuming they themselves don’t drop out before then.)
That being said, it sure is nice to see the Pairs and Ice Dance events being so popular. They’re still very recent additions to the CC!

Marirue

On the Ice
Look like Shaidorov and Tsuboi meet up again whom they are 2022 JWC Silver and Bronze Medalists respectively.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I posted this in the Canadian thread, should post it here too.

Another updated entry list - https://www.schaatsen.nl/media/62265/entryl-list-cc2024_v13feb.pdf

@CaroLiza_fan, you'll be happy to know that Kucianova/Bidar are no longer listed as reserves :)

Thank you for the update.

Just out of curiosity, I did a comparison of this entry list, and the initial one that you linked to. And they are actually the only reserves that are now full entries.

But, there are other skaters that have been added, such as Lorine SCHILD (FRA) in Senior Ladies; Alp Eren ÖZKAN (TUR) in Senior Men; Sasha SAJINOVIC (FRA) in Junior Ladies; and Viktoriia AZROIAN / Artur GRUZDEV (ARM), and Natalia PALLU-NEVES / Jayin PANESAR (BRA) in Senior Ice Dance.

Also Germany have swapped their Junior Men around with Robert WILDT (DEU) becoming the entry and Hugo Willi HERRMANN (DEU) becoming the substitute. And Finland has done the same with their Junior Ice Dancers, with Cilla LAINE / Urho REINA (FIN) becoming the entry and Hilda TAYLOR / Nolen HICKEY becoming the substitute.

Of course, there have been withdrawals as well. But, I was more interested in who was being added.

I don't normally pay too much attention to changes in Entry Lists, because most events don't go to the bother of putting out PDF's that you can easily compare. But this event having reserves and seeing what happened to them in relation to other changes, made it very interesting to follow the changes to the entries in this case.

So, thank you for linking to them.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Do you know for sure the entry is free? Because in that case I'd recommend going to a friend who's not really into figure skating - but if it's free they might just go out of curiosity.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am sure. The livestream costs, entree is free. If I recall from last year, they do try to register the visitors but at no cost.
It's on here (it's in Dutch, but I think you can follow it):

Parking will cost some money, but is quite affordable (1 euro a day).

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I had truly hoped Marjorie and Zachary would be there (their Thriller RD is one of my all time favourites), but they are no longer on the list of entrees. I was impressed by Alicia and Paul at their Nationals, so still looking forward to the ID competition. Just hoping it is not the lingering of the concussion!

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Hmm, so Hugo Herrman is now a sub, and Robert Wildt is entered instead in Junior Men. I wonder if something is up with Hugo? He had a quite disastrous FS at German Junior Nationals due to a broken boot and I believe another competition before JWC wouldn't hurt for his self confidence. He had also withdrawn from Bavarian Open.
I sometimes see snippets of Robert Wildt training in Oberstdorf (even though he is from Berlin?) and he clearly isn't on the same level as Hugo yet. Even easier triples are still not absolutely reliable for him.