Adult LTS - Time for new boots? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adult LTS - Time for new boots?

Naurh

Rinkside
I'm in Minneapolis. I've only seen two shops here that sell any sort of figure skates beyond sub-$150 rec skates. The first one I went to sold Riedell and Edeas. Talked to a fitter but really wasn't impressed. Just seemed like they didn't care that much as figure skaters. That shop is primarily a hockey shop with a tiny corner for figure skates. The other shop I went to is the opposite - they stock at least half a dozen brands and have an entire floor that's for just figure skating. My fiancée recommended it because she bought SP-Teri boots there and said they were great. I bought my Mystiques there and have been back several times for other things, which is why I'm surprised that they would be trying to upsell me into a boot that's too much for where I'm at. I guess I've only heard positive things about them and my experience with the two fitters seemed very positive, but what do I know? 🤷‍♂️

shumaislife

Rinkside
I'm in Minneapolis. I've only seen two shops here that sell any sort of figure skates beyond sub-$150 rec skates. The first one I went to sold Riedell and Edeas. Talked to a fitter but really wasn't impressed. Just seemed like they didn't care that much as figure skaters. That shop is primarily a hockey shop with a tiny corner for figure skates. The other shop I went to is the opposite - they stock at least half a dozen brands and have an entire floor that's for just figure skating. My fiancée recommended it because she bought SP-Teri boots there and said they were great. I bought my Mystiques there and have been back several times for other things, which is why I'm surprised that they would be trying to upsell me into a boot that's too much for where I'm at. I guess I've only heard positive things about them and my experience with the two fitters seemed very positive, but what do I know? 🤷‍♂️
I'm in Missouri, and there's no fitters around me at all. The good thing is that two fitters with great reputations are in Chicago, which is 6hrs away from Minneapolis (it's 6hrs away for me too). If I don't go back to my other fitter who was 5 hours away, I would go to Chicago next time.

Personally, it just comes down to whether you want to try on and potentially incur 20% restocking fees on boots, or travel 2x to Chicago (yes I am aware that is 24hrs of driving). Once you are properly fitted, it gets easier from there. If you really want to try on stuff, Rainbo would probably be your best bet. But realistically speaking with your feet being on the larger end, it's unlikely that anywhere has boots of your size in stock.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Sales is sales, they will sell what you're asking for. If you told them "If I could be guaranteed to get a boot that fits and functions perfectly tomorrow, I would hardly hesitate at the price" guess what, they'll sell you that. Aura boots have the 3d scanning fit and are custom made, so you'll likely get a good fit in their boots, but at that price. I do question that this shop put you, at 6' and 220lbs in a Mystique to start with though. There is no support in those boots. My skater at 7 years old and 1/4 your weight was in an Artiste that had more support.

Getting fit takes time. Shops don't stock boots anymore. A proper fitter will ask questions, measure you, take tracings, and recommend where to start, and order from there. It's at best an educated guess. You also have to ask the right questions. It's hard, and every time I question our fitters recommendations I feel like I'm insulting him and his 50+ years of making and fitting boots, but he knows I'm just trying to get what my skater needs.

If it was me, I'd ask about a Jackson Freestyle (most of the boys/adult men at our rink at your level are in that boot), comes in a size 12 wide (the next level up in boot only doesn't come in a 12 for some reason). Another option is further investigating Riedell if you want leather. You know, their factory and HQ are in Red Wing about an hour away. They do semi custom (width adjustments) and full custom as well. Jackson has a "rapid custom" option for width adjustments and a few other things that bumps the price of their boots about $50. Unfortunately leather is only available at the Elite level, or as a full custom. If the Jackson boot fit you, I'd at least give another Jackson a try before spending that money. Not my money though...

shumaislife

Rinkside
Sales is sales, they will sell what you're asking for.
Just with this part, I respectfully disagree. Most sales will try to upsell you at first, before giving you what you need/ask for. That's the name of the game. Think car sales, furniture sales, etc. But this particular shop that OP went to seemed to discourage EVERYTHING except Auras. That's just sketch.

OP, Sibelius had really great points for me when I was looking for my first skates 1.5 months ago, and still does. I sympathize because it seems like it's a huge hassle to research about the best model, drive several hours, spend hard-earned dollars; all to purchase one pair of working skates. But skates are equipment. And the right fitting ones are key to keeping your two-and-only ankles healthy.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I rather wonder if OP has feet that are wider than stock W wide - in which case, at size 12, he isn't going to get ANYTHING that fits correctly except a semi/custom boot. Or if he has a particularly unusual foot shape. (I've seen a couple pics of Avanta customers (I know, not Aura) that have really oddly shaped feet).

Although in that case, I'd expect them to recommend like a Jackson Debut or Premier, which even at full custom is only going to be about $1000? It seems like that would be more appropriate than AURA. For a beginner.

shumaislife

Rinkside
I rather wonder if OP has feet that are wider than stock W wide - in which case, at size 12, he isn't going to get ANYTHING that fits correctly except a semi/custom boot. Or if he has a particularly unusual foot shape. (I've seen a couple pics of Avanta customers (I know, not Aura) that have really oddly shaped feet).

Although in that case, I'd expect them to recommend like a Jackson Debut or Premier, which even at full custom is only going to be about $1000? It seems like that would be more appropriate than AURA. For a beginner.
Sadly, what's appropriate for a customer might fly right out the window if the shop is 1 pair away from meeting quota or qualifying for a bonus.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If you can get to the Chicago area, you could try John (if he’s still there) at Rainbo Sports. They are located in Northbrook, which is in the northern suburbs. I know it’s a long drive round trip from MN but maybe give them a call, explain your situation, and ask if they would work with you. Going from Mystiques to $1500 boots is not normal. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sibelius

On the Ice

But if he was ok in a Mystique stock for over 100 hours until they obviously broke down then a Jackson stock width (or even a wider Rapid Custom option should suffice, no? The measurements he gives puts hime in between an 11 and 11 1/2 Wide, up to a competent fitter to decide which boot to order.

The Debut, for some reason, only goes to a men's 11, so that might be pushing it. A Premiere would be the next boot only option from Jackson, but that's a stiff boot coming from a Mystique. And, purely subjective on my part, the men's Debut and Premiere are UGLY with that Duraguard finish, moreso than the ladies models (mine refuses to get another pair).

Sibelius

On the Ice
Just with this part, I respectfully disagree. Most sales will try to upsell you at first, before giving you what you need/ask for. That's the name of the game. Think car sales, furniture sales, etc. But this particular shop that OP went to seemed to discourage EVERYTHING except Auras. That's just sketch.
You must have better experience buying cars than I do. It's always a battle to have them show me what I want!

Naurh

Rinkside
Personally, it just comes down to whether you want to try on and potentially incur 20% restocking fees on boots, or travel 2x to Chicago (yes I am aware that is 24hrs of driving). Once you are properly fitted, it gets easier from there. If you really want to try on stuff, Rainbo would probably be your best bet. But realistically speaking with your feet being on the larger end, it's unlikely that anywhere has boots of your size in stock.
It's not so much the driving as it is the time off work, which I don't have a lot of. Honestly If I could drive there or fly somewhere (e.g. Boston, LA, etc) and know that they had a selection of boots in stock that I could try on, I wouldn't hesitate, because I'd have a good chance of walking out of the shop with my next pair of boots. The problem comes in if I have to travel just to get measured, then travel again to get fitted once something comes in, and then possibly repeat that a few more times. It becomes very time consuming and cost-prohibitive.

In any case, I sent Rainbo an email (still at work right now) inquiring about their stock. Plan to call later today if I haven't heard back. I'm going to Milwaukee next weekend, so that actually wouldn't be that bad if they happened to have something in stock I could try on.

Sales is sales, they will sell what you're asking for. If you told them "If I could be guaranteed to get a boot that fits and functions perfectly tomorrow, I would hardly hesitate at the price" guess what, they'll sell you that. Aura boots have the 3d scanning fit and are custom made, so you'll likely get a good fit in their boots, but at that price. I do question that this shop put you, at 6' and 220lbs in a Mystique to start with though. There is no support in those boots. My skater at 7 years old and 1/4 your weight was in an Artiste that had more support.
Well of course I didn't just tell them that. I've been in plenty of sales negotiations before so I know better than to show my hand. I actually didn't even throw out anything regarding budget. I just told them what my fit issues were with the Jacksons and that I was looking for something with better fit/support. I even specifically mentioned that I was interested in Risport because it seemed (from what I'd researched prior) that they could be an option.

I'm not sure about the Mystiques I guess. They seemed fine when I was first learning, but I have struggled a lot with tying them tight enough to prevent ankle movement, but them being too tight that they restrict dorsiflexion and knee bend. That's likely all they had in stock (and they have a lot of stock compared to any other place I've seen) when I originally went in.

Another option is further investigating Riedell if you want leather. You know, their factory and HQ are in Red Wing about an hour away. They do semi custom (width adjustments) and full custom as well. Jackson has a "rapid custom" option for width adjustments and a few other things that bumps the price of their boots about $50.
That's worth considering for sure. The shop kind of put me off to the idea of custom boots saying that there was a long wait and basically any fit issues after the boot shipped would be on me and the fitter to work out. But hell, even if a custom is $1k, that's still cheaper than the Auras. The biggest thing is I just don't want to wait 6 months for something.

I sympathize because it seems like it's a huge hassle to research about the best model, drive several hours, spend hard-earned dollars; all to purchase one pair of working skates.
It's nuts. Really makes the sport difficult to break into when even finding basic equipment is a nightmare.

The Debut, for some reason, only goes to a men's 11, so that might be pushing it. A Premiere would be the next boot only option from Jackson, but that's a stiff boot coming from a Mystique. And, purely subjective on my part, the men's Debut and Premiere are UGLY with that Duraguard finish, moreso than the ladies models (mine refuses to get another pair).
My biggest hangup with Jackson stock boots is that they're ugly, especially with that Duraguard thing. Obviously I care more about fit and function, but I also want something that looks good, and that classic leather or suede look is hard to beat IMO. It's one of the things that attracted me to the sport to begin with - the elegance and timelessness of it.

Naurh

Rinkside
Since I measured my feet, I hadn't even considered SP-Teri because I've heard that they're just for people with small feet and that they're basically defunct right now. I did stumble upon a sizing chart for their boots though, and found this boot (Gold Medalist) for sale, which seems like it could be a possible good fit. Curious to get your thoughts?

shumaislife

Rinkside
I'm not sure about the Mystiques I guess. They seemed fine when I was first learning, but I have struggled a lot with tying them tight enough to prevent ankle movement, but them being too tight that they restrict dorsiflexion and knee bend. That's likely all they had in stock (and they have a lot of stock compared to any other place I've seen) when I originally went in.
The thing is, a proper fitter would have never put a 6ft 200lb man in a pair of Mystiques (unless you said that you refuse to pay anything above $150 for your 1st skates). All your "fit issues" are coming from the fact that Mystiques never supported you in the first place.

Just because I love analogies and can't resist: It's like a car repair shop punching a hole causing an oil leak, then when you come to get the leak repaired, telling you ohhhh yea guess you need a whole new engine to fix that.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
When you call Rainbo, mention your concerns and preferences, and ask them if it would help for you to send them tracings of your feet so that they can get a preliminary idea of what might work.

One thing you should be aware of is that most skate shops don’t keep a lot of boots in a range of sizes in stock. For example, when I got my very first pair of skates (at Rainbo, as it happens 😊) they measured my feet, asked some questions about my skill level, how often I skated, and what I was looking for, and we decided that Jackson Elle would be the best boot for me. They didn’t have one in stock in a size close to mine, so I tried on a Freestyle (next model up) in the correct boot size but one width narrower than they thought I needed. They then had me walk around, and asked me questions about how the boots felt, including specific questions about whether my feet sat flat in the boot, where it felt cramped etc. Then they ordered the correct boot in the right size for me and when they came in several weeks later, I went back to try them on and have them heat molded. That’s pretty standard unless you’re really lucky or decide to buy cheap skates at a big box store.

One other thing: I eventually ended up (a few years later) in a pair of custom Jackson’s due in part to the width of my forefoot. When I bought the Elles, Rainbo discussed the possibility of customs with me, but when I said that as a complete beginner I didn’t want to spend that much, they respected that and worked with me to get the best fitting, most appropriate stock boot for me. Wherever you end up going, you should look for a place that has that kind of attitude.

Sibelius

On the Ice
One thing you should be aware of is that most skate shops don’t keep a lot of boots in a range of sizes in stock. For example, when I got my very first pair of skates (at Rainbo, as it happens 😊) they measured my feet, asked some questions about my skill level, how often I skated, and what I was looking for, and we decided that Jackson Elle would be the best boot for me. They didn’t have one in stock in a size close to mine, so I tried on a Freestyle (next model up) in the correct boot size but one width narrower than they thought I needed. They then had me walk around, and asked me questions about how the boots felt, including specific questions about whether my feet sat flat in the boot, where it felt cramped etc. Then they ordered the correct boot in the right size for me and when they came in several weeks later, I went back to try them on and have them heat molded. That’s pretty standard unless you’re really lucky or decide to buy cheap skates at a big box store.
That was a real fitting, and it sounds to me like the place to go. Call in advance to get some size/ model guidance, maybe you can pre-order a couple of sizes for them to have when you get there. You might have to pay a small % for a restock fee for a boot that doesn't fit...THEN

Get your vaccine, take your fiancee to Chicago for the weekend, stay at the Tremont just off the Miracle Mile, get fitted, go to Cafe Bareeba or Heaven on 7, Ditka's at the hotel is a good steakhouse, Eli's for some cheesecake...I love spending other peoples money!

Yes, it's a pain, but that's the sport. At least you're an adult and not trying to keep up with a 12 year old with growing feet in custom boots and elite blades, and trying to do it without missing any practice time.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
That was a real fitting, and it sounds to me like the place to go. Call in advance to get some size/ model guidance, maybe you can pre-order a couple of sizes for them to have when you get there. You might have to pay a small % for a restock fee for a boot that doesn't fit...THEN

Get your vaccine, take your fiancee to Chicago for the weekend, stay at the Tremont just off the Miracle Mile, get fitted, go to Cafe Bareeba or Heaven on 7, Ditka's at the hotel is a good steakhouse, Eli's for some cheesecake...I love spending other peoples money!

Yes, it's a pain, but that's the sport. At least you're an adult and not trying to keep up with a 12 year old with growing feet in custom boots and elite blades, and trying to do it without missing any practice time.
Ha ha- I can see you’re familiar with Chicago! When I moved back there from NYC, I missed my friends from Spain and the fantastic food they used to cook. Cafe Babareeba was one of the first places I went! Now I’m homesick for Chicago (Denver’s gorgeous and I love the weather but it’s not as exciting as NYC or Chicago 😊) .

OP: Chicago is a really great place to visit and if you go, be sure to go to Millenium Park - it’s amazing.

Getting back to Rainbo - make sure you ask for an experienced fitter. They used to have some young kids working there who weren’t quite as skilled as some of the others. But I think they do skates for a lot of competitive skaters in the area (I know they used to do Jason Brown’s before he moved to Colorado).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yep, I'm going to come on and back up @Tavi... suggestion of Rainbo in Chicago, they're fab and know what they are doing.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Well I had posted about boot fitters in Minneapolis so I guess I got my answer. lol. I find it hard to believe there aren’t any good fitters. I’ll be visiting and DD will be skating with another coach while there so I’ll see what I find out that way.

Also, I’m near Kansas City Missouri and we have an Edea fitter if @shumaislife is interested. We are also hosting a live competition in June. Hint hint. 😉

shumaislife

Rinkside
Well I had posted about boot fitters in Minneapolis so I guess I got my answer. lol. I find it hard to believe there aren’t any good fitters. I’ll be visiting and DD will be skating with another coach while there so I’ll see what I find out that way.
Ope, sorry about the sad news. The silver lining is that it's better to know it now, rather than when you walk into the shop and get subpar service. I think I know where you are! I'll pm you.