Adult LTS - Time for new boots? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Adult LTS - Time for new boots?

Sibelius

On the Ice
I personally loathe Premiers though. Unlike other Jackson boots, they have a double wrap thing at the ankle (extra leather and hooks) and you need extra long laces. Ugh. 😊

Yep, we're buying out our shops stock of 120" laces for those. The skater they were originally designed for (who left Jackson) kept snapping the hooks, so they added the extras for her and on that model. It's actually been a good boot and we'd order another since she's not broken it down at all, if it weren't for the Duraguard ugliness.

Nimyue

On the Ice
FWIW I wear a Risport and they are slightly too narrow off the shelf, but my fitter easily stretched them. Their cost is low and there’s usually good stock and only takes a couple days to get them. I had a full custom Jackson, and I was not impressed. They don’t have a lot of padding, which is a preference thing. Some people like them but they didn’t work for me at all even though the shape was correct.

Naurh

Rinkside
Figured I'd give a quick update. I wanted to wait until I got boots/blades and had a chance to get on the ice in them before posting again. After weighing my options (wait months for a custom and miss pretty much the entire summer of ice time, or gamble on an Edea that was in stock), I decided to chance the Edea Chorus that was recommended to me by Edges & Dreams. I figured if it didn't work out, I'm out $400 and waiting again.

Finally got the boot (Chorus 300C), paired it with 11" CA Lite blades, put some Superfeet in them, and got it heat molded. I've been on the ice now twice in them. At first I absolutely hated the fit, but after having the toe boxes stretches and the heel taken in a bit, they fit like a glove with only a very small bit of arch pressure (still more comfortable than my Jacksons were) in my right foot.

I'm honestly as shocked as anyone here that the Edeas seem like they work for my feet. I was super skeptical even before I decided to take a gamble on them, and even more so when I first tried them on (my feet felt like they were getting crushed), but after having them heat molded, I'm warming up to them. My first session in them I felt like I was back at Basic 1, barely able to move around with any confidence. Between the shorter 11" blade (I had a 12 1/3" before), bigger rocker, and the amount/ease of knee bend I can get in the Edeas (vs what I could get in my old boots), everything feels so different. After skating around for an hour I was confident enough to slalom in them, do some half-pumps, and a bit of stroking (but not very good). My fiancée immediately commented that my posture was much better. I was immediately able to do something I could never do in my Jacksons - rock up on my toe picks without holding onto the boards! I've got another session tonight and am hoping to regain more confidence stroking and doing some other skills (perhaps turns, backwards, etc). The other big difference that I think will take awhile to get used to is how loose the ankles feels when my knees aren't bent. It's definitely an unsettling feeling, but the fitter who molded my boots (Alan at Strauss Skate) said that's normal for Edeas and they feel stable/secure around my ankle when my knee is flexed.

I'm realizing that I'm going to have to relearn a lot of things (like not leaning forward) that I learned with subpar posture in my Jacksons because the didn't fit quite right and were too long for my feet.

In retrospective I should've given Strauss a fair chance from the start since they're local. If I'd talked to Alan instead of one of the hockey guys the first time I went in I might've avoided a lot of headache searching for boots online.

I'll also note that the outside is suede, which I really like. I don't mind at all that the inside is composite - if anything the moldability of that was a selling point IMO.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Thanks for updating us. By the way, Edeas are made of microfiber upper not suede, so it sounds like you are actually cool with manmade materials (inside and out).

It's great you like your new boots and that they fit better than your Jacksons. I'm glad you are finally back on the ice. Hope they continue to work well for you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Good for you OP! I'm just nervous that they put you in an Edea and a chorus at that. :scratch2:Also, the blade you don't need right now as a beginner and Rev's are completely unnecessary and you were upsold again! Enjoy your skates but I fear you will be back in a few months time asking us what to do because these boots haven't worked as well as in the beginning. They're not stiff enough for you as a 200lb man, and will break down very quickly.

I wish you the best of luck and happy skating!:rock: