Adult LTS - Time for new boots? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Adult LTS - Time for new boots?

Sibelius

On the Ice
SP-Teri is alive and well in Nashville Tennessee. Now owned by a former ice dancer. You can custom order boots - which it sounds like you're going to have to do anyway.
https://spteri.com/
They are alive, well...they are having some struggles, especially with customs. They have had some setbacks recently in addition to the tornado destroying their building. I hope they can get everything together soon.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Ha ha- I can see you’re familiar with Chicago! When I moved back there from NYC, I missed my friends from Spain and the fantastic food they used to cook. Cafe Babareeba was one of the first places I went! Now I’m homesick for Chicago (Denver’s gorgeous and I love the weather but it’s not as exciting as NYC or Chicago 😊) .

OP: Chicago is a really great place to visit and if you go, be sure to go to Millenium Park - it’s amazing.

Getting back to Rainbo - make sure you ask for an experienced fitter. They used to have some young kids working there who weren’t quite as skilled as some of the others. But I think they do skates for a lot of competitive skaters in the area (I know they used to do Jason Brown’s before he moved to Colorado).
In a long ago (pre children) former life I visited quite often, on the firm's credit card, guess that's when I learned to spend other people's money.

I love that city. My wife and I are actually thinking about moving there in a few years when our girls are off to college, who knows, maybe the University of Chicago or Northwestern. Her firm has a Chicago office as well. Loved The Drake, The Swissotel, Chicago Hilton Towers, Tremont, all the restaurants, the Chicago Symphony. So much more life than in the Silicon Valley suburbs we're in now.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
In a long ago (pre children) former life I visited quite often, on the firm's credit card, guess that's when I learned to spend other people's money.

I love that city. My wife and I are actually thinking about moving there in a few years when our girls are off to college, who knows, maybe the University of Chicago or Northwestern. Her firm has a Chicago office as well. Loved The Drake, The Swissotel, Chicago Hilton Towers, Tremont, all the restaurants, the Chicago Symphony. So much more life than in the Silicon Valley suburbs we're in now.
It’s changed a lot since I was kid - much more cosmopolitan, I think. Fantastic restaurants, world class music, theater, art, architecture, great neighborhoods and shopping, outdoor concerts at Millennium Park and Ravinia in the summer....the weather is tough though. Hot and humid in summer, arctic cold, snow on the ground for months, and overcast in winter. But in good years, spring and fall are lovely. 😊

Naurh

Rinkside
So, quick update... I've contacted two shops (Rainbo and Edges & Dreams in Littleton, CO), as I wanted to keep my options open and compare two different opinions. Both shops have a Risport boot in stock I could try on. Edges & Dreams suggested I could also try a Jackson "rapid custom" as an option (if I want leather - I really do) or a Pro Teri (6 week wait). Rainbo suggested I could go with the Risport RF3 or go with a Jackson Elite (they said Debut maxes out at size 11 and the Elite has the ugly duraguard on it, so I'd definitely need to do a custom).

Interestingly I've heard mixed reviews on SP-Teri from both fitters (I'm tossing out what the shop here said since they tried to put me in Auras). I specifically asked both fitters for their opinion on them and if they had recent experience fitting them (since the ownership change). Edges & Dreams said they would be fine but cautioned about the break-in period and the 6 week wait time. Rainbo didn't give me a specific reason why they aren't recommending them (it was an email thread). Interestingly both cautioned me against Riedell for different reasons. Edges & Dreams pointed out the very long wait time (10+ weeks) and Rainbo said they would likely run too narrow. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I'll be an hour away from where Rainbo is this weekend (visiting family), so going in there first would be the quickest and easiest option. I could also easily book a cheap (< $80) flight to Denver to visit Edges & Dreams (and I'll be in Denver in July anyways).

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So, quick update... I've contacted two shops (Rainbo and Edges & Dreams in Littleton, CO), as I wanted to keep my options open and compare two different opinions. Both shops have a Risport boot in stock I could try on. Edges & Dreams suggested I could also try a Jackson "rapid custom" as an option (if I want leather - I really do) or a Pro Teri (6 week wait). Rainbo suggested I could go with the Risport RF3 or go with a Jackson Elite (they said Debut maxes out at size 11 and the Elite has the ugly duraguard on it, so I'd definitely need to do a custom).

Interestingly I've heard mixed reviews on SP-Teri from both fitters (I'm tossing out what the shop here said since they tried to put me in Auras). I specifically asked both fitters for their opinion on them and if they had recent experience fitting them (since the ownership change). Edges & Dreams said they would be fine but cautioned about the break-in period and the 6 week wait time. Rainbo didn't give me a specific reason why they aren't recommending them (it was an email thread). Interestingly both cautioned me against Riedell for different reasons. Edges & Dreams pointed out the very long wait time (10+ weeks) and Rainbo said they would likely run too narrow. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I'll be an hour away from where Rainbo is this weekend (visiting family), so going in there first would be the quickest and easiest option. I could also easily book a cheap (< $80) flight to Denver to visit Edges & Dreams (and I'll be in Denver in July anyways).
How funny - I live in the Denver area now and just bought new boots from Edges & Dreams! They are very nice and take their time with you and try to make sure you’re happy. I believe Stephen is a former competitive skater. Good luck wherever you end up!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I think you meant to say the Premiere has the ugly duraguard? - all the boots in the 2000 series have it. The Elite is in the 5000 series and none of those have it (unless they do now and they haven't updated their stock photos). But wow, going from Mystique to Elite is a huge jump.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I think you meant to say the Premiere has the ugly duraguard? - all the boots in the 2000 series have it. The Elite is in the 5000 series and none of those have it (unless they do now and they haven't updated their stock photos). But wow, going from Mystique to Elite is a huge jump.
I hope not, we're skipping another Premiere and moving to the Elite just for that reason, the coating is ugly. Since we'll be going custom I guess it won't matter, we should be able to order it without.

I'd double check with Jackson (really great about answering emails) about an RC leather boot. I don't think you can get a leather Jackson (other than Elite) as anything other than a full custom. An RC is also going to be a 4-6 week wait.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Now I'm just curious, since it seems like lead time for custom skates is never ideal. What do non-elite skaters do when their boot breaks down and gets unsafe? Do they have to just... not skate for 6-8 weeks while they wait for new ones to come in? It sounds like lots of skaters need some level of customization, or get certain models ordered in even if they fit stock sizes.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Now I'm just curious, since it seems like lead time for custom skates is never ideal. What do non-elite skaters do when their boot breaks down and gets unsafe? Do they have to just... not skate for 6-8 weeks while they wait for new ones to come in? It sounds like lots of skaters need some level of customization, or get certain models ordered in even if they fit stock sizes.
They tape them within an inch of their lives and pray they hold. See: Bradie Tennell at Worlds this year, I know it happened to Evgenia Medvedeva a couple of years ago too.

Sibelius

On the Ice
6-8 weeks is pretty good. I hear Harlick is waaaaay longer than that these days, months if I recall.

shumaislife

Rinkside
They tape them within an inch of their lives and pray they hold. See: Bradie Tennell at Worlds this year, I know it happened to Evgenia Medvedeva a couple of years ago too.
I feel like I need to get myself a roll of white duct tape now just in case:unsure:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OP, @Naurh if it were me in your situation, I'd be getting a semi-custom Jackson in leather (first choice), you don't need a stock elite boot because they are too high rated and stiff for your skill set. Jackson is going to be best and lend itself to your foot needs.
Risport RF3 would be second choice for you. Pair whatever boot you choose with JW Coronation Ace or MK Pro blades.
BTW, Riedell should be off your list at this point they're going to be too narrow for you, so will Harlick unless you go 100 percent full custom, which I don't feel you need to do at this point in your skating life.

Good luck! :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I hope not, we're skipping another Premiere and moving to the Elite just for that reason, the coating is ugly. Since we'll be going custom I guess it won't matter, we should be able to order it without.

I'd double check with Jackson (really great about answering emails) about an RC leather boot. I don't think you can get a leather Jackson (other than Elite) as anything other than a full custom. An RC is also going to be a 4-6 week wait.
I think the stock Elite 5300 is leather.

Naurh

Rinkside
Ah, yeah, Premiere is what I meant. Really anything in the 2000 series seems to be blessed with that look. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they decided it was a good idea to make all the 2000 series skates look hideous.

Hmm, I was also under the impression that you could only get anything other than a 5000 series model in leather by going full custom based on the info they have on their website. Any idea what the timeline for a full custom is?

I've already determined that once I've started learning jumps I'm going to start looking for my next boot so that by the time I actually break down this next one, I'll have the next one and won't be in this situation of having been skating in a broken down boot for several months and still having a 6+ week wait ahead of me to get a new pair of boots. Ideally I'd have a new boot a few months before I really need it so I can avoid a gap like I'm in now. I'm so close to getting a bunch of different basic skills well, but my boots are holding me back,

I'd be getting a semi-custom Jackson in leather (first choice), you don't need a stock elite boot because they are too high rated and stiff for your skill set. Jackson is going to be best and lend itself to your foot needs.
Risport RF3 would be second choice for you. Pair whatever boot you choose with JW Coronation Ace or MK Pro blades.
BTW, Riedell should be off your list at this point they're going to be too narrow for you, so will Harlick unless you go 100 percent full custom, which I don't feel you need to do at this point in your skating life.
I've definitely ruled out Riedell at this point and Harlick (they seem like great boots but I've heard the wait right now is 8-9 months). I think it's going to be a coin toss between Risport and the custom Jackson route, but I'm worried that if I wait around for a pair of Risport to come in and then they don't work out, I'll be starting this process all over again. I just emailed Jackson to see how long it'd take and the cost for a black suede pair of Premieres. If only I'd known what a pain this process is, I'd have started looking for new boots 6 months ago.

Naurh

Rinkside
So I contacted Jackson and they got back to me very quick. Unfortunately the turnaround for a 2000-series like the Premiere in leather or suede is 8 weeks and the cost is around $1k. Yikes! 😬

Edges & Dreams also threw out Edea as a possibility, which TBH I hadn't even considered...

Last edited:

shumaislife

Rinkside
So I contacted Jackson and they got back to me very quick. Unfortunately the turnaround for a 2000-series like the Premiere in leather or suede is 8 weeks and the cost is around $1k. Yikes! 😬

Edges & Dreams also threw out Edea as a possibility, which TBH I hadn't even considered...
I'm going to be honest with you. At this point, there's been a ton of great advice. I think you just need to make a decision for yourself what you are okay with in terms of lead time and cost. Also, the fitters at Rainbo (hopefully you booked an appointment with John) will be able to help you when you are there since they will be able to see your feet in-person.

You keep lusting after leather, so Edeas aren't gonna be it because they are composite.... and because they will be too narrow for your wide feet.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Look, you need to decide what shop you are going to and what brand you want and get it done already. The longer you wait, the longer it's going to take for you to get the skates you want. Also, full custom is not cheap, which is why I suggested semi-custom in Jackson. It's the off-season and many skaters are ordering their new boots and companies are very busy, especially teamed with being short staffed due to the pandemic. I will advise against EDEA for you, they aren't right for your feet and they're not leather.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
OP if you’re open to going to Colorado, one other person you might check out is Bruce Hurd in Colorado Springs. His shop is called Living on the Edge and he just recently relocated it to the World Arena. I haven’t bought boots from him but he has sharpened and aligned my blades (tricky due to my pronation) and he was excellent. He’s really nice, too. But I hope Rainbo works out for you

Eight weeks/ $1000 for a custom Jackson is pretty average I think. I personally loathe Premiers though. Unlike other Jackson boots, they have a double wrap thing at the ankle (extra leather and hooks) and you need extra long laces. Ugh. 😊

Last edited: