Alysa Liu on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

halulupu

Final Flight
Yes she is sweet. But poor girl is alread dragged to all kind of shows. I fear this will end in another disaster. All this pressure will burn her out way to quickly

moses

Rinkside
Yes she is sweet. But poor girl is alread dragged to all kind of shows. I fear this will end in another disaster. All this pressure will burn her out way to quickly

Yes, I was surprised to see her on talk shows already. I think besides this she was also on the Today Show among others. My hope is that she has a good support team throughout all of this, and hopefully they will be able to guide her throughout all this pressure.

halulupu

Final Flight
Yes, I was surprised to see her on talk shows already. I think besides this she was also on the Today Show among others. My hope is that she has a good support team throughout all of this, and hopefully they will be able to guide her throughout all this pressure.
Since her team is letting her do this shows I frankly don't believe she has a good team

melgirl25

Medalist
Going on the Today Show seemed reasonable but the Tonight Show is a little ridiculous at this point.

icybear

Medalist
Thing is this will get the media in America seeing her as the holy grail against the Russian girls and she has to live up to their over the top expectations. Poor girl is gonna be over hyped and pressured like Gracie Gold before she has even started the junior circuit.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Huh, didn't expect to see her on late night show in a non-olympic season, youngest us champion or no. Hope it's not too much too soon. Well, I guess it's not like she has other major competitions to worry about this season.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Since her team is letting her do this shows I frankly don't believe she has a good team

How so?
She's literally done two shows, likely filmed around the same time. The reality is that as a US lady in skating, an athlete with success is going to have a lot of media attention. If Alysa is trained in how to handle the media from a young age, she likely won't be as intimidated by them when she is older. And again, it's two shows. It's not like she's gone off and booked herself a tour of the country or anything :laugh:

What would Alysa have gained from not skating at senior nationals? There would've been expectation and pressure heaped upon her at junior nationals too, especially with people waiting to see her prove herself on the international circuit as a junior and see how she handles nerves before anything. She's shown that she can handle the nerves and the pressure, and she now has the experience of skating in front of a huge crowd and still succeeding. That will likely help her very well next season, skating at JGP events and hopefully the JGP Final, where there will also be a large crowd. I think of the shows the same way - it's getting her prepared for what is to come. If her team isn't making a big deal out of it, then she likely won't either. Of course every child wants to go on TV, but she'll likely get right back to training and preparing for next season in no time.

In one article, they talked about how it's a tradition for her to go to Disneyland with her family and coach after each nationals. I think that's great because it's a constant for her and allows her to relax and have fun after her big competition of the year. This is just one thing that shows how her team is looking out for her.

She's been with her coach since she was little. Her coach and her family know her best and are giving her the tools to succeed. With the support of her family, coaches, and friends, I don't see how going to two TV shows is a bad thing. It's likely just some fun and media experience before she gets into the grind preparing for next season.

Alysa was on TV for a three-minute feel-good segment on two entertainment shows, right after her achievement. Now she's yesterday's news.

People are more interested in guessing who the "Bee" is on the Masked Singer (Gladys Knight, right?) than they are in speculation about whether some child us going to save U. S. figure skating. Alysa will go on with her life. She'll be fine.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yeah,
this will get her name out- bit like planting a seed in people's mind for when the Olympic season rolls around in 2021-22
people would be like...oh there was that 13 yr old who was on jimmy fallon...

For Alysa, likely her life will move on from this quickly/

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but...

No one, but no one, watching Jimmy Fallon knows or cares about the “Russian girls”, unless they are already hard core skating fans. In which case they make up their own minds. If the average viewer watching Jimmy Fallon remembers that a Russian lady won OGM last year, that’s all they remember.

The name? Which one? Not so much:biggrin: ETA: and they neither know nor care who won Russian Nats or what jumps they do. Sad, but true.;)

I am the first one to say that young athletes should not be pressured beyond their years. A cute little fluff piece on a talk show with an adorable young teen? That’s not pressure, that’s just fluff :)

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
You know how a frequent discussion on this board is how the popularity of figure skating has waned in the past 20 years or so? And many suggest it's because there isn't a star skater that attracts the attention of the non-figure skating person. Well.......I'll bet you anything that Alysa Liu is attracting a lot of attention from the non-figure skating crowd and being on these high profile shows is bringing some much needed attention to figure skating in a positive way. Why shouldn't she be on these shows? It's not like she's training for Worlds right now. She has a great back story, she's adorable, fairly articulate for some so young with so little experience in front of a camera, and she came off very well. I think it's great that someone like Jimmy Fallon is interested in interviewing her. It's all good!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thing is this will get the media in America seeing her as the holy grail against the Russian girls and she has to live up to their over the top expectations. Poor girl is gonna be over hyped and pressured like Gracie Gold before she has even started the junior circuit.

It almost makes me hope she bombs next Nationals a la Karen Chen going from 3rd to 8th. But maybe she has nerves of steel and eats pressure for breakfast. Guess we will see.

- - - Updated - - -

You know how a frequent discussion on this board is how the popularity of figure skating has waned in the past 20 years or so? And many suggest it's because there isn't a star skater that attracts the attention of the non-figure skating person. Well.......I'll bet you anything that Alysa Liu is attracting a lot of attention from the non-figure skating crowd and being on these high profile shows is bringing some much needed attention to figure skating in a positive way. Why shouldn't she be on these shows? It's not like she's training for Worlds right now. She has a great back story, she's adorable, fairly articulate for some so young with so little experience in front of a camera, and she came off very well. I think it's great that someone like Jimmy Fallon is interested in interviewing her. It's all good!

My brother in law saw her on the news and told me he had seen her. Whether it makes people more interested in figure skating, who can say.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Alysa was on TV for a three-minute feel-good segment on two entertainment shows, right after her achievement. Now she's yesterday's news.

People are more interested in guessing who the "Bee" is on the Masked Singer (Gladys Knight, right?) than they are in speculation about whether some child us going to save U. S. figure skating. Alysa will go on with her life. She'll be fine.

This. Alysa’s 15 minutes of fame are over for now. She’s probably already back home in California taking a well-deserved rest and initiating plans for next season. She won’t be in the news again for at least another year, and that’s *if* she wins again next year. I understand people’s concerns about not overhyping her, but it’s gone a bit overboard. When you win a national title in such a thrilling and historic fashion, there’s no way around the fact that you will garner media attention. The same would happen in Canada, Japan, Russia, Korea, etc. I actually think Alysa’s team and US Figure Skating have done a good job at managing expectations and putting things in perspective thus far. From what I’ve read, Alysa has a good head on her shoulders. I look forward to seeing her next year.

starlight97

Final Flight
It's just so representative of the American culture compared to others.

All these Russian girls completely dominate the sport, post WR at almost every competition, jump QUADS and 3A at 13/14yo and surely get their recognition at home.
But in the USA, a young girl wins ONE competition, has never faced international stages but immediately gets hyped up in an exaggerated crazy media frenzy :biggrin:

mishulyia

On the Ice
My goodness, calm down everyone. Not too long ago Scherbakova, Trusova, and Kostornaia were on the Russian Jimmy Fallon show as well (yes my husband and I call him that for real!). The Tutberidze girls always seem to have a camera following them (Japanese media come to mind?) and all are moderately active on social media. I would say they put themselves out there more than Alysa. Two interviews after such a historic event for American ladies figure skating is hardly pushing it. The real test comes in 2022. I’d hate to see Alysa hyped up to the level Nathan Chen was, with fluff pieces and interviews dominating everything single spare second during Olympic coverage. I’m hoping Alysa’s team can learn from that mistake. We still have lots of time people! :)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
We'll worry about her when it's time to worry about her. I watched the segment and grinned like a fool the entire time and came away with the feeling that this has not gone to her head nor does she seem to feel any kind of onus to maintain her status. She's a bright, happy normal American kid in her early teens who excels at a sport.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Pretty much true, but I am curious about one thing, and if someone has a more indepth story on her, I would appreciate the link. As I understand it, if you appear on a talk show, you are flown out from your home first class, (and probably in this case with a guardian) put up in a very nice hotel...the whole free ride....and appear for a few minutes on the show before being flown home again. And, I may be wrong, but I think you get a nice check for your troubles. I dont know anything about her funding but I will look her up on the New England Am. Skating foundation. Its a good organization but primitive in the 21st century. I would appreciate a more modern way of giving...Like a gofundme site for skaters.
Anyway, there are those skaters who I try to give to and they respectfully decline, and there are those that are very appreciative cause they need the bucks. I dont think Alysa was hurt by this kind of softball appearance. Fallon was very nice. And she could need the money.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Alysa Liu interviewed on Jimmy Fallon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njDeb2I7SiA

She is so sweet. Was really shocked and excited to see her on The Tonight Show.

Thanks for posting this! Love the pic of her getting on the podium...and she was treated very respectfully by Fallon..and probably got a nice check for her skating...I will look into her adventureous path from here on later but must pack for FourConts!