Alysa Liu on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

starlight97

Final Flight
My goodness, calm down everyone. Not too long ago Scherbakova, Trusova, and Kostornaia were on the Russian Jimmy Fallon show as well (yes my husband and I call him that for real!). The Tutberidze girls always seem to have a camera following them (Japanese media come to mind?) and all are moderately active on social media. I would say they put themselves out there more than Alysa. Two interviews after such a historic event for American ladies figure skating is hardly pushing it. The real test comes in 2022. I’d hate to see Alysa hyped up to the level Nathan Chen was, with fluff pieces and interviews dominating everything single spare second during Olympic coverage. I’m hoping Alysa’s team can learn from that mistake. We still have lots of time people! :)

Of course. But the thing is those girls post records and do never seen before elements and combos in the ladies field. They are GP winners, GPF champs, World champions etc. They get a due amount of recognition for that.

But Alysa has won 1 single comp - a national one. Not her fault, she isn't asking for that hype, it's just what happens with the US mentality towards media and exaggeration.

I remember when Karen Chen performed well at Nationals and just cause she had 1 good showing and was flexible Tara went "She is the answer to the Russian Lipnitskayas" when Yulia was a successful international competitor and champion...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes she is sweet. But poor girl is alread dragged to all kind of shows. I fear this will end in another disaster. All this pressure will burn her out way to quickly
“Dragged” seems questionable. I think lots of kids would love to appear on Jimmy Fallon, Alysa seemingly among them. Overexposure is certainly something to keep in mind, but Alysa doesn’t seem anywhere near that stage. She seems naturally outgoing.

She’s not my country's current wunderkid, whose brief post-game interviews clearly communicate that he would rather be anywhere else than in front of a camera.

Of course. But the thing is those girls post records and do never seen before elements and combos in the ladies field. They are GP winners, GPF champs, World champions etc. They get a due amount of recognition for that.

But Alysa has won 1 single comp - a national one. Not her fault, she isn't asking for that hype, it's just what happens with the US mentality towards media and exaggeration.

I remember when Karen Chen performed well at Nationals and just cause she had 1 good showing and was flexible Tara went "She is the answer to the Russian Lipnitskayas" when Yulia was a successful international competitor and champion...
Alysa did three triple Axels, a feat managed by only a few others, and was the youngest-ever US national champion. That’s plenty of reason for recognition. There’s no intrinsic reason why major national competitions for a major fed should be considered less than of an accomplishment than some international wins.

halulupu

Final Flight
“Dragged” seems questionable. I think lots of kids would love to appear on Jimmy Fallon, Alysa seemingly among them. Overexposure is certainly something to keep in mind, but Alysa doesn’t seem anywhere near that stage. She seems naturally outgoing.

She’s not my country's current wunderkid, whose brief post-game interviews clearly communicate that he would rather be anywhere else than in front of a camera.

Alysa did three triple Axels, a feat managed by only a few others, and was the youngest-ever US national champion. That’s plenty of reason for recognition. There’s no intrinsic reason why major national competitions for a major fed should be considered less than of an accomplishment than some international wins.
Exactly she is a kid. Kids want to do a lot of things which are not good for them. She is incredibly talented, but not even eligible for juniors. So let her be a kid and grow become stronger. Don't overhype her just because US ladies are weaker than ever and desperately in need of a new star. But ok, then the US will have another karen, gracie situation when she is 16+. Its not sustainable (russia btw is the best example)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Exactly she is a kid. Kids want to do a lot of things which are not good for them.
Going on Jimmy Fallon is a brief, fun activity, entirely suitable for a child who works very hard and should be able to enjoy some reward for her achievements.

But ok, then the US will have another karen, gracie situation when she is 16+. Its not sustainable (russia btw is the best example)
Whether Alysa's jump technique can make the transition through puberty smoothly will be unaffected by whether or not she went on a talk show for three minutes.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pretty much true, but I am curious about one thing, and if someone has a more indepth story on her, I would appreciate the link. As I understand it, if you appear on a talk show, you are flown out from your home first class, (and probably in this case with a guardian) put up in a very nice hotel...the whole free ride....and appear for a few minutes on the show before being flown home again. And, I may be wrong, but I think you get a nice check for your troubles. I dont know anything about her funding but I will look her up on the New England Am. Skating foundation. Its a good organization but primitive in the 21st century. I would appreciate a more modern way of giving...Like a gofundme site for skaters.

Ok... what I know about this is that I went to a book signing here. The author was a gentleman who gave up a 6 figure job in Pennsylvania to come here to the St Louis area to do community organizing during the Ferguson demonstrations. He is much more of a household name than Alysa is and has been on many many talk shows. He says yes they fly you there and put you in a nice hotel and send a car after you, but as he said “a car is nice but it is not money.” Now whether they have tiers of people and say, Julia Roberts gets money but Alysa does not, I don’t know. I also know people who have been on sleazy talk shows and all they get for that is attention, mostly negative.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yes she is sweet. But poor girl is alread dragged to all kind of shows. I fear this will end in another disaster. All this pressure will burn her out way to quickly

I have similar concerns. Hope she stays normal.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. That's a little extreme and not very nice. :disapp:

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be unkind. And I did say “almost”, not that I wanted it:(
Really what I always want for each skater is to skate their best and not fall. No matter who they are. I appreciate everyone’s efforts, probably most of all those in the bottom 2 or 3 groups, who train all year just to compete at Nationals. It’s why I show up for the first two pair groups at an ungodly (for me) hour, and throw them stuff. It was really not a nice thing to say and I apologize.

moses

Rinkside
Thanks for posting this! Love the pic of her getting on the podium...and she was treated very respectfully by Fallon..and probably got a nice check for her skating...I will look into her adventureous path from here on later but must pack for FourConts!

Have fun!!! Hope the competition is exciting (I'm sure it will be...)! :dance2:

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Since her team is letting her do this shows I frankly don't believe she has a good team

I dont get this fuss. Her season is basically over. Do we think that babying our skaters and keeping them out of the spotlight (impossible in the social media age) is somehow going to make them mentally strong and able to deal with pressure.

No. Better skaters get used to attention from a young age. You can bet the Japanese and Russians are not wringing their hands over their young skaters going on tv.

US skaters’ mental problems often seem to be a result of lower work ethic than any mental imbalance, IMO. That’s not a problem Alyssa has however.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Alysa had appearances on two tv shows that were filmed on the same day. We have no evidence that she was ‘dragged’ to these shows, and she appeared very natural, confident, articulate and charming. Everyday clothes and hair - which I thought was cute.

While the tv hosts obviously talked about her win, it didn’t seem hyped or overhyped. I thought it was great when Jimmy was asking her about what she was thinking as she was going through her program.

Her dad appears to place importance on her having normal experiences in her life - such as friends and sleepovers. And she’s not leaving home to switch to a more ‘name’ coach.

I don’t see much to worry about as of right now.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Going on Jimmy Fallon is a brief, fun activity, entirely suitable for a child who works very hard and should be able to enjoy some reward for her achievements.

Whether Alysa's jump technique can make the transition through puberty smoothly will be unaffected by whether or not she went on a talk show for three minutes.

Since Alysa cannot go on to another competition, lets let her enjoy her victory a bit. Her off-season has begun as of now. She will have a chance to process what she accomplished and what it will mean for next year. In the end, I think it can only help to focus her goals if she has the proper checks and balances from parents and coaches to help her keep things in perspective and to balance her abilities with others expectations