"American Idol" 4-14, 4-13 | Golden Skate

"American Idol" 4-14, 4-13

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
"American Idol" 4-12- 4-13

I thought I'd get this thread going..........I am guessing that safe, no matter how they sing for the next few weeks, are Bo, Carrie, and Constantine. The others have all been in the bottom three at least once. I am thinking they are the vulnerable ones............any comments? 42

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm thinking this year is so unpredictable that I am going to give up predicting :rofl:

Aloft04

On the Ice
I hope at least they pick a decent music category this week!! In the interest of keeping the show 'fresh' I fear we may suffer through a show of Middle-European National Anthems or something...

Anyhoo, Anthony and Scott certainly need to pick up their game tommorrow.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Anwar if you are listening PLEASE sing something up tempo that makes me want to get up and dance!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Overall a pretty good night. Theme was songs from the year the contestants were born. Who in the hell thought up these sucky themes? The judges are getting more tiresome. I am beginning to miss the celebrity judges. At least they offered a few seconds reprieve from the other three in the play pen. Daryl Hall :love: and John Oates were in the audience. John needs to regrow the mustache. Daryl is still my favorite Breck guy.

Nadia"When I Dream" - Looked great and sounded great, a very polished performance. However the use of an obscure song written by Mac Davis and recorded by Crystal Gayle may do her in.

Bo "Freebird" (FINALLY! :rock: ) - Bo is short for Bogard as in Humphrey. EXCELLENT! I like him better than VZII.

Anwar "I Know I'll Never Love This Way Again" - Obviously Anwar doesn't listen to me either. I am a huge Dionne Warwick fan and he did a very good job. I still would like to hear him do a fast song.

Anthony "Every Time You Go Away" Bronzeisgolden this one was for your mom :cool: ! Good job. I like this guy. Paul Young and Hall and Oates both released this song. Daryl wrote it.

Zonzell "Let's Hear it for the Boy" Not my favorite song but at least it made me want to get up and dance (Anwar PLEASE take note). Vonzell gets better every week.

Scott "She's Gone" - I'm afraid after this he's gone! Scott's worst performance, IMO the lower notes did him in. The comments he made prior to singing about him being the rocker were a little silly. I usually like his voice more than I did tonight and I really want to like him as a performer but he has no warmth (I don't think that's the word I'm looking for) sombody help me out here? He mentioned that he couldn't hear the low notes. Is this something that happens with all singers or does he maybe have a hearing problem? Bonus points for singing H&O in front of H&O.

Carrie "Love Is a Battlefield" - I loved this even if she did screw up the words.

Constantine "Bohemian Rhapsody" This was an ambitious choice but he pulled it off....WOW. Freddy Mercury would be proud. Constantine is out of the closet :rofl: .

From best to worst I would say...
Constantine
Bo
Nadia (even with the poor song choice)
Carrie
Anwar
Vonzell
Anthony
Scott

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
From what little I've seen this season, it seems to me that most of the singers are better than previous seasons. I never get to see much of it since that is the time of day I usually call my daughter. I have to see Wheel of Fortune :rofl:
and she wants to watch the Amazing Race and we both want to watch Judging Amy. But it sure seems to me that most of them are better this season.

brad640

On the Ice
I think this week was down to the deserving contestants. I have not missed the ones who were voted off so far, but I think the top 8 are all good singers. I can't predict what will happen because I gave up last year when Latoya was voted off, but here are my personal choices:

Most Deserving:

Bo: For me, this season is all about Bo. I think he has the best stage presence and the best sense of himself as an artist. If anyone else wins it will be a disappointment. They need to let him play his guitar. And I love his clothes! My one reservation about him as a winner is that he would have to waste time recording a crappy "inspirational" winner song.

Worthy Finalists:

Anwar: The best voice, and a soothing demeanor reminiscent of Lionel Ritchie.

Nadia: She reminds me of Cher because you never know what she will do next - major originality and star quality. I loved Nadia's dress this week and her legs were WOW!

Constantine: I begrudgingly bump him up to this category after he was great the last 2 weeks, but I think he lacks substance.

Good Vocalists:

Carrie: She is like the girl in high school that everyone always praised for her singing, but she takes it for granted. Her vocals are always great but she is a big zero when it comes to stage presence. This week she was locked into moving her hips back and forth through the whole song.

Vonzelle: Love her personality and her singing has been good all along for me.

Should go Next:

Anthony: I predict sympathy votes for him this week after they showed the tracheotemy pictures from his childhood. I like that he always picks wierd 80's songs.

Scott: He has been off key for 3 weeks. I think he is naturally gifted, but he could benefit from professional training. I loved him doing Phil Collins.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Piel........spot on with your assessments tonight. My ranking:

1. Constantine..........Paula was right (I can't believe I said that.) Con is now the one to beat. He not only channeled Freddy, he was Freddy.
2.Vonzelle......love her energy and song choice.
3. Bo.......didn't think it was his best, but better than last week. I love his voice quality and will buy his CD no matter what.........
4. Anthony.........love the "clean-cutness" (is that a word?) of this kid. His high notes are amazing.
5. Nadia......I liked her song choice, didn't think it was abscure and she nailed it...
6.Carrie......... Was that a Pet Benatar she sang? Not bad, but her high notes were scratchy.
7. Anwar.........I can't believe it everytime I hear Randy say he has the best voice in the competition. His voice is full and he's got an amazing range, but he often hits notes on the flat side.....
8. Scott......His high notes are beautiful, but he's got to stay away from the notes in the lower register........This might have been his swan song.........

But, I'm thinking my Nadia may be the one who goes.......... :cry: 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Did anyone else notice how stuffed up (as in nose) Carrie sounded during her fluff piece? She might have had a cold. Either way she rocked! :rock:

Bo was awesome...

Scott stunk

Constantine was BLAND

and Paula was so high that she maked me sick... can we vote HER off? :disapp:

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Scott Rocks!

Scott may have his issues, but his was the longest ovation of the evening.... did you notice people standing midway through the song? His low notes were off - so what? That happens in live performances all the time - Scott had the courage to stay emotionally connected to the song which I think he delivered with REAL emotion - the song's about the girl in his life who's already left - raw and honest feeling is what the song is about.

Kids (and lets be real here, they are the ones buying and downloading most of the CDs) want to see real feelings, not "pretty" -- Scott keeps it real and I really think he has got true soul!

If he's too real for America, I'm sure they will let him know. I for one am a fan - as rough as Scott is - he's interesting to me. I just listened to his performance again and his reaction was so genuine and in the moment; I totally loved the fact that he was proud of his performance - so refreshing to see an honest reaction like that, the antithesis of a phony kick the instep "gosh it was just okay I had fun but I can do better" mask.

PS. Tonichelle - Paula was so as the kids would say "crunk" I'm surprised she could stand up.

Tenorguy

Last edited:

Aloft04

On the Ice
My bottom three - Scott, Nadia, Anthony. I think Nadia should become a runway model - she has such great legs and body line and presence!

I like Constantine, but his stage presence is becoming so predictable week after week...[ leer seductively at the camera through the hair, follow the camera with eyes while curling lip, hair flip, pace with microphone, toss hair, repeat as needed.]

I think Paula should have left Happy Hour a bit earlier. I like her! I hope she doesn't have a problem, I really do.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I know live is better but Paula seems to be having waaaaaaaaaaaaay more fun than I am. Show did you turn her on to that green tea? :biggrin:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hey Piel, forget the green tea........she must be sipping "green beer"......she got worse as the evening wore on. I think she must have had a flask under the table. Gotta love her............. ;) 42

Toni.........Constantine "bland"?......Oh come on.........he all but "channeled" Freddy Mercury. I've bumped him up to the top "two" !!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Personally, I liked the idea of having them choose a song from the year they were born. That is, until they went out there and actually started singing, which led to a train of thought involving OMG these people were BORN the year this came out and I was in HIGH SCHOOL!!! :laugh: But overall I think it was a pretty good night. And I actually don't think Paula was nearly as blitzed as she has seemed to be the previous few weeks, tho definitely a little.... happy.

My rankings:

1. Constantine -- I haven't been much of a fan of his (tho I did like his 'I Think I Love You'), but he stole the show tonight -- absolutely fantastic. This isn't an easy song to do, especially on this show when songs have to be pared down, but I'd gotten the feeling he'd been singing this one for years. (And he probably has!)

2. Anthony -- Easily his best performance. Really well done. My quibble, however, is one that I also had with Clay Aiken and John the Redhead from last season -- overly precise enunciation. Pop music and flawless diction rarely go together, IMO. And now that they've gotten him out of the glasses, I predict some strange hair color is not far behind.

3. Vonzelle -- She is just so cute!! And this was one of her better efforts, too. The thing with her, tho, is she seems to have too much voice for some of her selections, and not enough for others. She almost had a little too much for this one, but found just the right balance.

4. Scott -- I thought this was easily his best; weak start but once he got going he did an excellent job. However -- I could have well done without the "Yeah, man, I used to ROCK. OUT." [flash of gangsta boy hand rap] routine during the prelude and the rather saucy comment to Simon afterwards -- given the fact that he's hanging on by a thread to begin with, he would do well to ZIP IT.

5. Nadia -- What I like about Nadia is that she goes off the beaten path when it comes to her song selections (like when she did Melissa Etheridge a couple of weeks ago). They don't always work, but I give her credit for trying, and at the very least she attempts to make the song her own. This worked for me -- I do remember the original and at least she brought some life to it. And this was one of HER better efforts as well. However -- overall, I have to say, Nadia this season, for me, is what Kimberly Caldwell was to Season 2 and Amy Adams was to Season 3 -- she impresses me tremendously in the early going to the point where I expect her at some point to go out there and just completely blow me away -- but she hasn't done it yet and I'm suspecting, rather like Kimberly and Amy, that she never will.

6. Bo -- Part of the problem here is, I am not a fan of classic rock and this song would be on my list of 200 Songs That Make Me Dislike Classic Rock. Getting past that -- there was something about this performance that was just SO predictable that for me, it was just out and out dull. He's been in my top 2 every week and probably will be again, but this time, he just did nothing for me whatsoever.

7. Carrie -- I like that steely edge that Carrie gets to her voice when she sings Rock. And if she could actually couple that with some genuine emotion in regards to what she's actually singing -- WOW. In this case, I'd be willing to overlook the lack of emotion -- if her rendition, overall, wasn't such a choppy mess.

8. Anwar -- This was one of those performances where I do not think the judges were listening to the same thing I had just sat through. I thought this was HORRIBLE. Randy and Simon have made the observation that Anwar is frequently relying on some big show-offy high note big finish to cover up the fact that the rest of the song wasn't that great, but this was so painfully bad that no big finish in the world could have rescued it. I think I actually said "OMG, make it STOP!!" at least twice. Truthfully -- I much rather would have heard MIKALAH sing this!! At least that would have provided some comic relief!!

lavender

Record Breaker
I watched because nothing was on at 7:00 but it was better than I thought. I've become bored with this season.

Constantine was the best of night. Vonzell was the next best. She seems like such a sweet girl. Love Bo but he was just ok last night.

Anthony was good but I don't like him. Nadia is soo pretty but her songs choice might do her in. Anwar and Carrie have the best voices but they are boring to me. Anwar did better last night but overall he's boring.

Scott should have been gone last week but such is life.

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
1-Constantine continues to make a believer of me these past 3 weeks or so.
2-Anthony, the boy has a beautiful voice.
3-Anwar, best he has sounded in weeks.
4-Nadia
5-Bo, he has begun to bore me a little. I still like the quality & sound of his voice,tho.
6-Carrie, lacks personality, no stage presence, ok voice. Tune in to Nashville Star if you want to see & hear a young woman (18 yrs old) who has it all: the looks, the voice, the energy, audience appeal, stage presence.
7-Vonzelle
8-Scott

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Show, forgive me. I just have to disagree. There's no way on earth Constantine came anywhere near Freddie Mercury. A bad imitation maybe. AND in some parts, he actually did come close, but the thing that gets me with that performance of one of my favorite Queen songs is the "I'm so sensual" looks that do not, in any shape, form or fashion, fit with Bohemian Rhapsody. I thought it was just another "Constantine's f***ing the camera again" performance. The only time I have ever liked him is when he did the Broadway tune.

Ok, as far as Scott goes, ugh. He has too much attitude for someone who's competing in a competition. He's the "rocker"? :rofl: Naw, he's a wannabe "soul" singer who hasn't an ounce of stage presence and I actually liked his rendition of "Against All Odds". But his attitude has turned me off completely.

Nadia picked one of my fave songs I found on an old Linda Ronstadt tape that I have. I never knew Crystal Gayle did it since I only have one of her records, but I have loved this song forever. She did it blues style and I thought it was pretty good.

Vonzell rocked tonight. And my Bo can free my bird any time he wants to!!! :rock:

Glad to see Anthony step it up. And Anwar does have a pure voice. I just want him to up the tempo and stop with the ballads already.

Carrie messed up my song, but I still love her voice. And I watched Nashville Star until Tamika left.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
Hey Piel, forget the green tea........she must be sipping "green beer"......she got worse as the evening wore on. I think she must have had a flask under the table. Gotta love her............. ;) 42

Toni.........Constantine "bland"?......Oh come on.........he all but "channeled" Freddy Mercury. I've bumped him up to the top "two" !!

I dunno, the more I watch him the more I think so what?

my aunt likes him :laugh: