"American Idol" 4-14, 4-13 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"American Idol" 4-14, 4-13

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Here goes...

Nadia: In my next life, I want her legs. She continues to impress me with her total package. I hope she makes it through and does something really upbeat and WILD next week.

Carrie: In my next life, I want her voice. The rest of it can go to the curb though.

Vonzell: She's really growing on me. The jeans skirt was a bad outfit choice IMO for moving around on the stage. Go see Nadia for some great costume ideas.

Anthony: He's got a nice voice but his style is just not my preference. Definitely better than that horror from last week.

Scott: I am TOTALLY over him. The horrifying low notes negated anything good about the high notes. And he absolutely needs to SHUT UP when he is not singing.

Anwar: Ballad Boredom.

Bo: He's got a great distinctive rock voice. I will buy his album. I will hang his poster on my wall.

Constantine: Stop with the mugging before I puke. I will need to have lots of what Paula is having to endure more of that in the coming weeks. I will give you credit for doing a decent job with a very ambitious song choice.

PLEASE send Scott home and not Nadia tonight!!

DG

sk8m8

Final Flight
My Rant :mad: ....Nadia is consistantly one of the best performers (note, not singers) out there. That being said, she is a pretty good singer. I am SO SICK of all the judges telling the contestants "kick it up a notch, sell it , be origional, stop being bland, etc...) Every week Nadia "brings it" and last night she got slammed for singing an obsure song. Problem is, the song isn't that obscure. It may have sounded that way because it was so different from the origional. The original was a soft, sweet, slow, quiet ballad. Nadia TOTALLY made it her own and the arrangement was better than the first.

Another less loud rant :confused: What is Scott still doing there? As a singer, he has about 5 out of the 8 deadly singing habits most vocal coaches get you to stop doing. That vibrato in his voice is out of control, he phrasing sucks, and his air control is no existant. Some poster metion that "all singers get "pitchy" when they sing low to high (or vice versa).....INCORRECT, that's what ametur singers do, trained singers are rarely off pitch unless there is a techinical problem. Lastly, he mouthed off to Simon about how he at least got up there and did it and how no one else could have. Well, my friend Scott, there are only 7 other people you have to worry about getting up and doing the same song and only that night, the ones that were born when you were. I see the best contestants either taking what Simon says with a grain of salt or totally letting it roll off their backs completely. I think he blew it on all fronts last night I M H O!!!

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm glad Scott mouth off. Hopefully this will help him go home with his song...'He's Gone'. I think he only showed his true colors yesterday.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
SPOILER

The bottom three were asked to sing their favorite song of the competition.

Scott - "Against All Odds"

Bo - The Black Crows Song (can;t remeber the title)

Nadia - "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" as usual she looked fabulous and sounded great. I hate that she was sent home tonight. :cry:

At the beginning of the show Ryan said that everyone would be shocked at who would be sent home. When it came down to Nadia and Bo thought it might have been Bo. All of the remaining (and I would have included Nadia in this) are capable of winning this IMO.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I wasn't surprised about Nadia. She looks beautiful, she dresses like a star, she even performs like one. Unfortunately, her voice just isn't all that wonderful. It's not memorable or unique. There is nothing that stands out in that sound. The funny thing is that Carrie, on the other hand, has a MARVELOUS vocal instrument but none of the presentation ability and skill that Nadia possesses!

As for Bo, they're saying that he is suffering from a confidence problem. I don't feel that this is his main problem, although maybe there is some truth to it. His REAL problem right now is not choosing the right song for his voice. Every voice has a "gift" section--that section of the voice that makes people stop and go "Wow!" It's not always the high section of the voice--it depends on the singer. Remember Jennifer Hudson from last season? Her gift was her lows. Constantine keeps picking songs that show off the gift part of his voice--that's totally to his credit. Bo may be the better singer and performer all around, but Constantine is better at picking out songs. Bo, by the way, is my personal favorite, so I hope he does better next week in this regard.

ITA with you Twinnie--Wow! what a coincidence!--but I'm still bummed Nadia got sent home tonight. Although you could see it coming. She's been in the bottom three every week. Ironically, she said she likes songs that are off the beaten path, but she had decided that maybe that approach wasn't working. A tad too late on that one, although I liked her unique choices, I don't think she ever picked a song that showed off the "gift" part of her voice. I just liked her performance style, look, and connection with the audience so much. Too bad her voice wasn't stronger. I wonder if she could really rock the house with some good vocal training? And good for her for proudly wearing that great big 'fro. I think some sharp agent will pick her up and get her doing something that will really make the best use of her talents.

Interesting that Bo was in the bottom three. I wonder if he got the second lowest number of votes or if the producers just kept him for the last two for the drama? Even though he was in the bottom three, I knew there was no way he was leaving. But I hope it scared him enough that he will rethink his laid-back attitude. I like it when he's on stage and with the group, but deep inside the guy's got to have the killer instinct. IMO, that's the only thing he's lacking and it may be why he's not choosing the best songs for himself.

Good for Scott for hanging in there. I repeat, eyes closed 90% of the time he's a great singer. A few pitch problems but he sings the meaning of the songs like nobody else does.

What's with Paula's black wrist band? Carpal tunnel from slugging back the shots? If she does have a problem, it's no joke, but something is going on with her and it ain't good. Annoying the he!! out of me is the least of it. How ironic that every week on Entertainment Tonight and AI Paula complains about how annoying Simon is. Simon is the only one, as usual, giving useful feedback; although he is getting repetitive. I say bring back the guest judges too. And what happened to the guest artists like Burt Bacharach, Elton John, Gladys Knight, and Barry Manilow? I don't like Manilow, but from the footage they showed of him working with the contestants, he really gave them gold.

The contestants are the best this year. The song categories by the producers are the worst.

La la la,
Rgirl

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I've closed my eyes during every song that Scott has sung to see if it was any better than watching him and guess what? He's off pitch 90 percent of the time doesn't sound any better.

His eyes are emotionless. He can't do anything but walk around and point his hand. He talks (not sings) like a gangsta rapper wannabe.

As far as Bo goes, he needs to step it up a little, but I liked his version of Free Bird. I've liked all his songs. I didn't like the tongue thing by Constantine but then I'm not moved by the "I'm so sensual look at me" looks. Even in the group song they sung he was still doing that crap at the camera.

My poor Nadia. I loved her song choices. I love her voice. I'd buy a CD from her, Anwar, Bo, Carrie and Vonzell. The rest won't get my money. :rofl:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm having trouble believing that Bo made the bottom three. On his worst day, he is better than two other singers there on their best days.

Nadia has been one of my favs right along, but I always felt her strength isn't her singing. I can see her walking down a runway in Paris, modeling some gorgeous designer outfits, or I can see her face on the cover of "Vogue", or even playing some high class detective on a widescreen thriller............some agent out there please snap her up.

I was totally amazed watching Anwar during the studio recording session. Did you catch him singing into the mike.........gorgeous, on tune, beautiful tones. Why can't he sing like that when he performs?

As for Scott, he's not my favorite for sure. I'm with realistic on this point......I did the "close your eyes" thing, and I still don't get what the to do is about his voice. It's nothing special. I couldn't care less how he talks, or looks, or about his past, his voice just doesn't do it for me.

I know a lot of you don't like Constantine, and again, I couldn't care less if he's sincere when he sings. He knows how to "put a song over". He gets you involved, he makes eye contact is if he's singing just to you. I know he mugs and over-does it a bit, but hey, for me, that's half the performance........42

Kasey

Medalist
Tenorguy said:
Scott may have his issues, but his was the longest ovation of the evening.... did you notice people standing midway through the song? His low notes were off - so what? That happens in live performances all the time - Scott had the courage to stay emotionally connected to the song which I think he delivered with REAL emotion - the song's about the girl in his life who's already left - raw and honest feeling is what the song is about.

Kids (and lets be real here, they are the ones buying and downloading most of the CDs) want to see real feelings, not "pretty" -- Scott keeps it real and I really think he has got true soul!

If he's too real for America, I'm sure they will let him know. I for one am a fan - as rough as Scott is - he's interesting to me. I just listened to his performance again and his reaction was so genuine and in the moment; I totally loved the fact that he was proud of his performance - so refreshing to see an honest reaction like that, the antithesis of a phony kick the instep "gosh it was just okay I had fun but I can do better" mask.

PS. Tonichelle - Paula was so as the kids would say "crunk" I'm surprised she could stand up.

Tenorguy

"Too real" and "Total ***" are not necessarily the same.

And isn't is possible that the audience responded so strongly to his song because they KNEW Hall and Oates were there, and were doing it out of respect for THEM?

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Reaction to Wednesday

Kasey - it could very well be that the audience was reacting to the presence of Hall & Oates. I would buy that ....... but I think also (and is just my opinion) that the public finds Scott a reflection of present reality. This is a time in America when 'rough' seems to be where its at - for good or bad.

All I really know is that as snooty as I can get, I totally dig this season of American Idol!! :clap:

I think this is the best group of singers they have had in the 4 seasons of AI. Just think back to the first season. Anyone remember RJ? The contestants have come a looooooong way since season one, and I would have to say the overall quality of the individual singers is better.

Would you all agree? This is a pretty good crop of interesting singers? Tenorguy

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Absolutey, Tenorguy............the best. I recently bought the C.D. from the first season that highlights the top 8 singers................it is really quite good. AI is my television highlight for the week (how bad is that........I really do have to get out more ;) ). Last season, I think, was perhaps the worst. I keep hoping for another talent like Clay Aiken to come along..................42

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Show Season 1's winner and Season 2's runner up are the cream of the crop, I doubt they will ever find a better vocal in either gender ;)

but I am completely and unashamedly biased ;)