Axel info | Golden Skate

Axel info

Jshbo724

Spectator
Hi everybody!! I haven't posted here in a while, and found this site again, so I thought I'd ask a question, as my skating has progressed quite a bit since I posted that other thread. (my only other post, LOL). But anyway, I'm going to be getting my new sp-teri skates in about a month or so, and when I get them, my coach is going to start me on my axel. (I can't do it on the skates I'm currently using, as they're WAY too broken down, and will not support the jump at all) I know it takes everybody different amounts of time to learn it, but I was wondering what everyone's experience with it was. Also, if you could give me some advice that I'll probably need when I start it, since there are usually common problems with it, so I've heard. Thanx for any information you're able to give.

~Jess :yes:

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Hi!
I landed my first axel when I was 10 years old I think...
I don't know how old are you (I'm 14) ,but I can tell you that litle children usually are not jumping as they should do,because they...probably don't understand what should they do. As I was getting older, I started to understand some things...Here is my advice:
It's funny, but try it. Emagin how for example, Plusenko would do the perfec axel. The do it! It's not all, but it helps a lot, trust me!

Last edited:

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Axels are one of the hardest jumps to get right. Some get the rotation but the landing alludes them. Try working at it off ice first and then try doing waltz jump/loop jump combos or waltz jump/waltz jump/ axel to see if you can get it. And also practice your back spins because that it what you are doing in the air anyway. Good luck and don't give up. You will get it soon!

Hey, your skates may have allot to do with it. If they are too broken down they will not have the strength to keep you up. I bet after you get use to your new skates you will do that jump in no time flat.

MsLutzy

Rinkside
I love anything_for_skating's idea about imagine a skater doing the perfect axel. In fact, you could even imagine yourself doing the perfect axel, or think about how you would go about doing one, step by step. Mental preparation can change things.

I also agree that practising a lot of backspins is important. Also remember to switch your weight from the left to right totally. If not, you can't land the jump. Remember to bring your knee up when jumping, and in making the turns, keep in mind that not only do your arms have to pull in, your whole body, which includes your shoulders and hips have to turn as well.

Good luck in your axels! Keep us posted on how you're doing :yes:

Jshbo724

Spectator
I have my backspin, and waltz loop combo, I practice them every session, and I have it off ice, but I just wanted to use these suggestions for future reference, as I know I won't get it right off the bat, LOL. Although that's happened with almost every single of my other singles, it's very doubtful that could ever happen with an axel. I still practice it everday off ice, I'm just wondering if it'll transfer well to on ice. Cause off ice you don't have the weight of the boot or edges, so I'm sure I'll have to work really hard on it. I have a lot of strength, so that's definitely not the problem, I'm a former floor gymnast (tumbling). I seem to have the technique right, but who knows, maybe it won't take me too long. I'm just looking really forward to getting my new boots and blades so I can finally start learning it!! I haven't even had a competition yet, so it'd be great if I could have it for July when my first one is!!

I'll post back on this thread whenever I get my boots and I try the axel for the first time. Thanx for the help!!! If anyone has any more suggestions, go ahead and post them though.

~Jess

nicole_l

Final Flight
Definitely practice lots and lots of backspins. I landed my first axel when I was 13 and it took me the entire school year to learn it.

Skater_Kid

Rinkside
i was 11 when i started working on axles and it took me like 3 monthes of tears and bruises. My coach told me to do "walk throughs" of the jump which is when you do waltz jump backspin then "check out'' Now axles are my best jump and im working on the double axle...( and double lutz consistancy:disagree: :no: )
and when i was first introduced to it my coach tld me to do at least 30 good backspins a day andto always "check out" of them properly and to to lots of waltz jump-loop jump combos!......hope this helps you .....

PEACE:agree: :thumbsup:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I don't remember much about learning the axel - I learned it about 30 years ago - but I do remember all of the bruises. I remember being covered in them. This was in the days before harnesses.

Speaking of the harness, don't become reliant on them to learn this jump. IMO, it can actually be counter-productive, because you learn to rely on the harness to save you and can become afraid of the jump outside of the harness.

Keeping over your right side in the air is key for this jump to happen. The others' suggestions of backspins and waltz backspins are very good. Off-ice training with a coach (NOT your firends - you can learn bad habits) can help too.

Good luck! It's a great jump once you own it. It's my fav, along with the flip, even at 41! ;)

anything_for_skating

Final Flight
Skater_Kid said:
i was 11 when i started working on axles and it took me like 3 monthes of tears and bruises.

PEACE:agree: :thumbsup:

Yes, tears are always there!!!!!
I am also working on double axel,as you (my God, did I crash today...:laugh: )

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
I know a skater in her late 50s who is learning the axel for the first time, so there is no upper age limit! She has landed one or two, but it's not yet ready to go in a programme yet.

Jshbo724

Spectator
Guess what? I got my new skates!!! I get to learn the axel this Friday!!! I can't wait!! Sorry to bring back this topic, but I'm just super excited!!! Wish me luck, and I'll update this when I get my first lesson for the axel!!!

~Jess

sparkskater

Rinkside
Skater_Kid said:
i was 11 when i started working on axles and it took me like 3 monthes of tears and bruises. My coach told me to do "walk throughs" of the jump which is when you do waltz jump backspin then "check out'' Now axles are my best jump and im working on the double axle...( and double lutz consistancy:disagree: :no: ) PEACE:agree: :thumbsup:

Same here :D (stupid double lutz),
Axel, I landed it in just over a month so the length it takes varies from person to person.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I had a really hard time with the jump. I was about 1/4 rotation short and would land sideways on the blade - hence falling right on my right knee. I have to this day, a huge lump on the outside of my knee. I wore crash pads but it didn't help much. I had to have fluid drained a few times. Once I got it, It was a beauty.

My coach had me starting from a forward edge. This required me to produce all the "umph" to jump up and get around vs. hanging on the BOE and stepping forward with all that momentum.

One thing that I never learned untill late in skating....jump UP...not around. Also, I had a hard time understanding the concept of pulling my arms in. Instead of pulling them in parallel to my body with my fists at my breasts, I would wrap them aound me...like I was spinning. Once I finally got the arms right, it was amazed at how much more rotation I got and how tight I stayed in the air.

Godd luck.

sparkskater

Rinkside
dwiggin3 said:
One thing that I never learned untill late in skating....jump UP...not around. Also, I had a hard time understanding the concept of pulling my arms in. Instead of pulling them in parallel to my body with my fists at my breasts, I would wrap them aound me...like I was spinning. Once I finally got the arms right, it was amazed at how much more rotation I got and how tight I stayed in the air.
Godd luck.

Regarding the technique, don't have Evan Lysacek as an example for your axel :p :laugh:

Sk8Gr808

Rinkside
sparkskater said:
Regarding the technique, don't have Evan Lysacek as an example for your axel :p :laugh:

Or Jenny Kirk for that matter, they both skid off their edges.

Suprisingly, it didn't take me too long to land my axel, I would say about 4-6 months. Although it does take a while, so don't get discouraged. My boots were all right(I had Jackson freestyle boots), but my blades were terrible. I had MK 22 blades, which, at my rink, are the same ones as on the rental skates. At least they were sharper! Luckily, I didn't start my doubles until I got a better blade!!

Try doing a waltz-loop-backspin combinaion, that helped me a whole lot. Also, when doing the axel by itself(and with speed), make sure you are jumping on a straight line. Taking off on a curve is really detrimental, and a lot harder to check out of. I still do that sometimes, and it really throws me off. And like people have said before, envision yourself doing the jump. I hope you have fun with it!!! :clap:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
OMG, you all are so much better than me.:bow: I think it is scary just approaching a "jump spin" forward, I freak. But this might be helpful in some weird way. I never had my head bounce off the ice until I was not paying attention during a bunny hop. So focus on the execution is the best way I could say to accomplish anything. Not the end of, not the sight of another doing it as much as picture it being done - and I think seeing yourself do it is more likely the way I have ever done anything. Thinking about JW or EP just makes me seem like I suck that much more so. But I would have to say that picturing it done is the most important thing. Not what girls are watching you from work:laugh: . Och! I hope you get the drift. I have been afraid to go back out for 4 weeks now and I am going to go again now. I will see myself do it, and it will be done!
Just that bunny hop to start though.

Last edited: