Beauty Bonus/ Beauty Points | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Beauty Bonus/ Beauty Points

seniorita

Record Breaker
Svetlana Boginskaya had to work hard to overcome the handicap of stunning long-legged elegance.
:love::love::love: she was my idol, the first gymnast I ever saw, she is the reason for my any involvment in gymnastics, I remember the feeling watching her in olys in Seoul and telling my mum I want to be like her:) At that time I didnt even know where Russia was on the map.

I dont think beauty is a plus in fs, if the lady has a bad posture or is boring or she is not that good I dont see much of getting credits because of beauty, Wagner is very beautiful, does she get credit for that? The ladies you have put in the list they are not only beautiful, they are very good skaters and elegant anyway, they project really well. Akiko is not the most beautiful of the japanese team but she is so beautiful when she skates and has this large smile, you cant escape it. I would add Mao , Rochette and Mirai in the beauty list, I find Mao having a royal presence, cant explain, the pics also she had made for commercials are beautiful.
Also it is always subjective , we were looking at Kira for almost first row in sp and she is stunning the least to describe it. But a man next to us was finding Cynthia more beautiful while I find her very agressive, I would call her sexy not beautiful. She has though a very healthy body type, most girls need feeding there.

miki88

Medalist
I think having a beautiful figure is more important than a pretty face in skating. Although, it sure doesn't hurt to have both. Beauty is subjective but I'll be hard pressed to find anyone who would not find Korpi to be stunning. At some angles, she really does resemble Grace Kelly.

I dont think beauty is a plus in fs, if the lady has a bad posture or is boring or she is not that good I dont see much of getting credits because of beauty, Wagner is very beautiful, does she get credit for that? The ladies you have put in the list they are not only beautiful, they are very good skaters and elegant anyway, they project really well. Akiko is not the most beautiful of the japanese team but she is so beautiful when she skates and has this large smile, you cant escape it. I would add Mao , Rochette and Mirai in the beauty list, I find Mao having a royal presence, cant explain, the pics also she had made for commercials are beautiful.

I like and agree with that description of Mao. It's the way I feel about Michelle also.

As for Akiko, I agree about her personality. She has a great soulfulness, if you can use that about someone so joyful. You can't take your eyes off her, and you have to smile, too. The same is true of Yuka Sato for me. As for Midori Ito, I remember reading that she didn't think she was pretty. I wish I could find her and tell her otherwise. She had that light shining out of her eyes, too, and I've always adored her.

That's the thing about skating; it creates an emotional link between skaters and fans, and once that occurs, all the skaters you care about become beautiful, because they're giving you something beautiful.

seniorita

Record Breaker
yes Michelle had not only beautiful face but had this royal kind of beauty and a very magnetic smile, Sato I think she is very beautiful. Irina was not the beauty as other russian girls, but she was sweet and had sparkling eyes a, cute smile and the red chicks, she looked like Haidi.:) Every skater I like their skating, i find them beautiful at the end!

christinaskater

Medalist
Katarina Witt
Nancy Kerrigan
Caryn Kadavy
Maria Butyrskaya
Irina Slutskaya
Victoria Volchkova
Mao Asada
Dorothy Hamil
Peggy Flemming
Miki Ando
Sasha Cohen
Nicole Bobek

Joannie reminds me of Barbra Streisand! So unique but so beautiful.

I agree Michelle and Akiko may not be the most gorgeous faces in skating but when they skate they buoy the happy feelings in the hearts of everyone watching.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t think that the actual beauty of a lady skater´s face means anything in judging. It is the body type and how the person looks on the ice and moves that I´d suppose to count most. And of course how well one skates, LOL.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
That makes me sad to read that Midori did not think she was pretty. I always thought she was adorable and even more so when she skated. Same thing with Akiko. She gets even better looking when I watch her skate.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I don´t think that the actual beauty of a lady skater´s face means anything in judging. It is the body type and how the person looks on the ice and moves that I´d suppose to count most. And of course how well one skates, LOL.

ITA. Korpi has beautiful face, but she is far from "beautiful" on ice. In terms of body type, ice presence, moves, etc., no one is more beautiful than Yuna Kim, and that is why she is ranked No. 1. So yes, beauty certainly counts, but only to the extent how beauty translates into beautiful presence on ice.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ITA. Korpi has beautiful face, but she is far from "beautiful" on ice. In terms of body type, ice presence, moves, etc., no one is more beautiful than Yuna Kim, and that is why she is ranked No. 1. So yes, beauty certainly counts, but only to the extent how beauty translates into beautiful presence on ice.

you're talking subjectively here. Yuna ranked number one in the Olympics because she had teh complete skating package, but there are other skaters who *I* (and others) consider to have a more beautiful line/skating style... Being ranked in a standings does not make one more or less beautiful. It's all in what one sees as "beautiful." I'd much prefer to watch Yuka Sato, Angela Nikodinov or Alissa Czisny skate around...

brianjyw

Rinkside
you're talking subjectively here. Yuna ranked number one in the Olympics because she had teh complete skating package, but there are other skaters who *I* (and others) consider to have a more beautiful line/skating style... Being ranked in a standings does not make one more or less beautiful. It's all in what one sees as "beautiful." I'd much prefer to watch Yuka Sato, Angela Nikodinov or Alissa Czisny skate around...

I thought everyone is talking subjectively here. Since we can say a jump/spin/spiral/step sequence is beautiful, I think skaters are ranked based on how beautifully they execute all of these tech components plus PCS. You might argue that it is not the person but what the person do I find beautiful here but, as many people has already stated, we find a person beautiful when we see the person do something beautiful on the ice.

R.D.

Record Breaker

I agree. Granted, there are some "common" denominators when beauty is considered, but the details are up to the person. I have my thoughts, and they differ from the ones expressed in this thread, for the most part.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Agree! Face doesn't mean much. But I believe that long, slim, proportionally well figures with flexibility and balletic training helped a lot. The reason that Czisny has captured so many people's heart, I believe, is largely because she is beautiful and graceful on ice, also she has that vulnerable, sweet, and soft smile.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Agree! Face doesn't mean much. But I believe that long, slim, proportionally well figures with flexibility and balletic training helped a lot. The reason that Czisny has captured so many people's heart, I believe, is largely because she is beautiful and graceful on ice, also she has that vulnerable, sweet, and soft smile.

For once I agree with you!
I think Alissa is an absolute living doll.
But it is her skating I like and her looks are just a bonus.

And yes - I like Alissa all the time - even when she is falling as much as Chan. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
For once I agree with you!
I think Alissa is an absolute living doll.
But it is her skating I like and her looks are just a bonus.

And yes - I like Alissa all the time - even when she is falling as much as Chan. :)

Thanks! It's not easy to have you agree with me on anything.:biggrin: I too like Alissa's skating even if she finishes the last in a competition. I just love to watch her skating, just like I love to watch Sasha Cohen skating. Don't you think that the judges would too?

gkelly

Record Breaker
No, is he supposed to have one also? (or i miss the joke due to culture difference?:eek::)

I was just joking, since you said Alissa looks better in her dress than Chan. Sounded like you were implying she looked better in her dress than he looked in his.